Exhaust pipe expanders for dent removal?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Exhaust pipe expanders for dent removal?

Post by Dan Schultz »

I have a set of these. They can be useful for rounding out large ferrules and large bow tubes once a horn is taken apart. I've used mine a few times but by the time I remember having them... I usually have things straightened out using conventional methods.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
arminhachmer
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Exhaust pipe expanders for dent removal?

Post by arminhachmer »

schlepporello wrote:
TubaTinker wrote:I have a set of these. They can be useful for rounding out large ferrules and large bow tubes once a horn is taken apart. I've used mine a few times but by the time I remember having them... I usually have things straightened out using conventional methods.
I don't have the skills or tools to use the conventional methods though and competent repairmen are a rarity here. And two of the horns I have that need some ironing out on don't necessarily have to come out of the process esthetically perfect. But it would be nice to get the majority of some nasty dents out. I've already figured that I'd need to use series of extensions and flexible joints to get the expanders back where I'd need them, which raises the risk of having them come apart in the horn and possibly causing an expander to get stuck in the horn. So I figured I could minimize this risk by drilling a hole and using a cotter pin at each joint. I'd also have to amputate a few inches off the shaft of the expander to help maneuver it around the bends in the bows.
Give it up Schleppo, send it to Dan on the greydog bus.