Norton or McAfee?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Norton or McAfee?

Post by Dan Schultz »

I've used Norton anti-virus software for years without problems. Both of the Windows 10 machines I recently purchased came with McAfee loaded. I have no experience McAfee. Should I dump my current Norton subscription?... or change to McAfee?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Re: Norton or McAfee?

Post by Dan Schultz »

bloke wrote:AVG (free version) + Spybot (free) + CCleaner (free)
I've never trusted free ****!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Been using Norton since 1995, I think. Never had a problem. Mcafee was pre-installed on two of my computers and since it was already there I decided to use it until the subscription ran out before switching back to Norton. Both times I had serious failures due to malware. Both times Norton bailed me out. Notice I said twice. I am certainly a slow learner, but it won't happen with Mcafee ever again.
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

John McAfee is a wierdo, I wouldn't want his stuff on my computer.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

^ Didn't say that either.

I've been with AVG for years.
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

Not McAfee for sure!

About 10 years ago I was a volunteer moderator for McAfee's help forum. Since I was a volunteer I could have any product for free just for helping. I stayed on their version 7 - which I thought was their best product. They started adding more and more features, or 'bloat ware'. Finally ditched them.

I've been using "avast" free for over 5 or 6 years without any problems.
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
toobagrowl
5 valves
5 valves

Post by toobagrowl »

Count me as another AVG (free) user :!: Been using it for about a year, and recently updated it. My computer has been running better since I switched; no probs so far. Before that, I was using (paid) Norton, and it bogged down my computer big time. My computer is old and I do sometimes visit adult sites :twisted: :P I got tired of paying out nearly $80 a year for a very slow, buggy computer. So I said "f*ck it", cancelled my paid subscription with Norton, cleared the Norton crap off my hard drive, and went with free AVG. I think before Norton I had McAfee. AVG has been much better for me so far. The only disclaimer is that when you go sign up (or update) for AVG the automatic/default is for "full protection (paid version)"; you have to make sure to click on the free version before downloading.
arminhachmer
3 valves
3 valves

Post by arminhachmer »

bloke wrote:AVG (free version) + Spybot (free) + CCleaner (free)
+1 and for me also malwarebytes (free)
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

For the time being... I'm going to stick with Norton. ... for the simple matter that I'm already paid up for another several months and the subscription will cover three computers. So.... I still have the original Norton on my Windows 7 machine and have installed the same on both of the new Windows 10 machines.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Dave Hayami
bugler
bugler

Post by Dave Hayami »

Hello,
Make sure that you remove all of mcafee from your computers, I didn't' and when the subscription expired, it shut off all internet access "to safeguard"
the computer from any outside source. I have had Norton ever since.
Dave Hayami
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

Dave Hayami wrote:Hello,
Make sure that you remove all of mcafee from your computers....
Yup. I 'uninstalled' McAfee prior to downloading the Norton stuff. All is well.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
tbn.al
6 valves
6 valves

Post by tbn.al »

Joe, You are really into "free stuff". I really appreciate that because if you paid for all that stuff you would have to charge me a lot more for your work. Please stay on the "free" train!
I am fortunate to have a great job that feeds my family well, but music feeds my soul.