Alloy analyzer

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Alloy analyzer

Post by bisontuba »

Hi-
Yesterday, I went to a jewelry store to pick up a restored old pocket watch. The store deals in gold/silver & buying/selling buying also. I saw a jeweler use what looked like a radar gun. I asked him what it was and it was an alloy analyzer made by Nikon. You just aim it at an object, and it has a digital readout of what metals and % of metals are in an object. Their analyzer cost $20,000. Similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XRF-ALLOY-a ... SwBahVI~p8" target="_blank

These days, you could use something like this to see what the composition is of an old horn/mouthpiece (ex. Chicago York bell) and not take a piece of metal from it for a chemical analysis. Not a cheap tool by any means, but really amazing technology...
Mark
PaulMaybery
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Alloy analyzer

Post by PaulMaybery »

It would be very interesting also to have a way to measure the amount of hardness in the metal due to age or work-hardening, or conversely the softening results of annealing. We can always strike the bell with our fingernail to listen for that "certain ping" but that is really not at all that scientific. Mark, thanks for sharing about that device. You lead somewhat of a "charmed" life and come across some amazing things.
Wessex 5/4 CC "Wyvern"
Wessex 4/4 F "Berg"
Wessex Cimbasso F
Mack Euphonium
Mack Bass Trombone
Conn 5V Double Bell Euphonium (casually for sale to an interested party)
MikeW
3 valves
3 valves

Post by MikeW »

I saw a similar looking device on television a few weeks ago, being used to analyse the paint on a picture without having to scrape off a sample (a program about real high-tech art authentication, not star trek). I didn't make the connection to alloys, but if jewellers are already using them they must be more nearly commonplce than I realised.
Imperial Eb Kellyberg
dilettante & gigless wannabe
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

PaulMaybery wrote:It would be very interesting also to have a way to measure the amount of hardness in the metal due to age or work-hardening, or conversely the softening results of annealing. We can always strike the bell with our fingernail to listen for that "certain ping" but that is really not at all that scientific. Mark, thanks for sharing about that device. You lead somewhat of a "charmed" life and come across some amazing things.
There are various pieces of equipment for measuring hardness of about anything. The most common being Brinell and Rockwell hardness testers that measure by seeing how far a ball will imbed in material under known pressure.
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Post by bigtubby »

bisontuba wrote:Hi-
Yesterday, I went to a jewelry store to pick up a restored old pocket watch. The store deals in gold/silver & buying/selling buying also. I saw a jeweler use what looked like a radar gun. I asked him what it was and it was an alloy analyzer made by Nikon. You just aim it at an object, and it has a digital readout of what metals and % of metals are in an object. Their analyzer cost $20,000. Similar to this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XRF-ALLOY-a ... SwBahVI~p8" target="_blank" target="_blank

These days, you could use something like this to see what the composition is of an old horn/mouthpiece (ex. Chicago York bell) and not take a piece of metal from it for a chemical analysis. Not a cheap tool by any means, but really amazing technology...
Mark
Is it able to "see" through silver plating?
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

bigtubby wrote:
bisontuba wrote:Hi-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-XRF-ALLOY-a ... SwBahVI~p8" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Mark
Is it able to "see" through silver plating?
Yes--silver or gold plating
Daniel Mitchell
lurker
lurker

Post by Daniel Mitchell »

Ask if they would be willing to scan a tuba then scan one that you know the alloys for to see if it would work, if they're down of course
Miraphone Elektra F
Besson Sovereign 995-cc
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Daniel Mitchell wrote:Ask if they would be willing to scan a tuba then scan one that you know the alloys for to see if it would work, if they're down of course
I have--it works.