Mississippi River

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Mississippi River

Post by bort »

Damn... that's a lot of water. Floods are terrible.

My mom has a cousin in upstate NY whose house flooded twice in the past 10 years. It's on a flood plain that hadn't flooded in like 100 years, then twice in the past 10 years.

Their city has given them an order to put the house on stilts, or take a settlement to relocate so the city can raze the house. Not the most fun decision for an 85 year old woman and her 90 year old husband to deal with, however they are the kind of people who are thankful that they still have a house to deal with, or lives with which to decide what to do.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Mississippi River

Post by bort »

Sounds like Minneapolis -- lots of bluffs around the river, so high water, while not completely harmless, won't lead to devastating flooding here. Downriver though, I'm sure it's bad news.

I once wanted to buy a place in Colorado, right on a small creek. Beautiful scenery, calm water, and inexpensive. Then about 3 or 4 years ago they had those terrible floods, and everything in sight around there was flooded out. Similar cabins are listed for sale now for even less money, and "recently renovated." Uh huh, sure... :roll: