Does replating, relaquering affect sound?

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Salazarsam33
bugler
bugler

Does replating, relaquering affect sound?

Post by Salazarsam33 »

Hi there o just bought my own horn, a beautiful used kalison 2000,
Horn plays great and I am very happy.
However..
I suffer from hyperhydrosis (really really sweaty hands).
The kalison already has quite some wear on the valve tubing only, it's not terrible but it is obviously present especially where hands (like mine) would go.

I was wondering if relaquering (or any other type of finish) the valve turnings could help prevent my hands from corroding even worse the instrument and help preserve itaybe a little longer. I was thinking of stripping the lawyer off the valve set because it actually unscrews of, and having a finish done to it.

I have no clues what finishes exist aside from plating and laquering, I also have heard that doing these type of things to the horn can alter and change the sound (usually I hear it's for the worst...
Is this really true? Is there a way I can spray" something on it to protect the metal better?
I don't mind the esthetics, I'm just thinking further down the road.
Thank you guys very much for any input on laquering, finishes, and how it may or may not affect the sound in my situation
-Sam
Wisemann C
BMB F
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Does replating, relaquering affect sound?

Post by thevillagetuba »

I wouldn't waste the money on removing the finish and then refinishing it. Go to a hardware or craft store, get some neoprene or faux leather, cut a strip to fit where you will rest your hands, and sew it around there (no complicated stitches required just push the needle through both edges and pull taut).
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Just a little while ago, there was a thread about putting leather on a thumb ring to make it easier on the thumb. In the thread, there is a picture of how leather was put on a thumb ring and one of the main branches. It might make it clear what is involved.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69704" target="_blank
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Curmudgeon wrote:
Salazarsam33 wrote:I was thinking of stripping the lawyer off the valve set because it actually unscrews of, and having a finish done to it.
Don't strip the lawyer off. Especially if you need to get unscrewed. Sometimes they're handy in that regard.
:mrgreen:
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
SaintPeteTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by SaintPeteTuba »

Re plating and Relaquering does have some difference on sound. You're technically adding layers to the metal making it thicker/denser.
St. Petersburg 202N (Tuba Exchange)
Electric Jazz Bass Guitar & Cab
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

SaintPeteTuba wrote:Re plating and Relaquering does have some difference on sound. You're technically adding layers to the metal making it thicker/denser.
This would be particularly true if we were talking about lacquering the soundboard of a string instrument like a violin, which actually generates sound. It's lucky for us that a tuba doesn't work like that - and isn't greatly impaired if it gets a little grimy inside.
SaintPeteTuba
lurker
lurker

Post by SaintPeteTuba »

Donn wrote:
SaintPeteTuba wrote:Re plating and Relaquering does have some difference on sound. You're technically adding layers to the metal making it thicker/denser.
This would be particularly true if we were talking about lacquering the soundboard of a string instrument like a violin, which actually generates sound. It's lucky for us that a tuba doesn't work like that - and isn't greatly impaired if it gets a little grimy inside.
I've done sound clips and comparisons in similar rooms and halls with an horn that had original 1920's lacquer on it, then did a full strip job to bare brass and the horn started resonating more. Added new gold lacquer to it, and it changed the sound yet again..almost muffled. Not sure if newer metals act like this, but that old stuff...definitely changes it.
St. Petersburg 202N (Tuba Exchange)
Electric Jazz Bass Guitar & Cab