Concert Black Dress Shoes

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Mark

Concert Black Dress Shoes

Post by Mark »

I have two pair of black dress shoes I use for performances. I have owned both pairs for about 25 years and it is time to get a new pair. I don't mind paying a premium for a really good pair of shoes. The old ones are Florasheim and Johnson & Murphy.

I would like to move from a leather sole to a rubber. I need more traction on and off stage when hauling tubas.

Any suggestions?
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Re: Concert Black Dress Shoes

Post by thevillagetuba »

Mark wrote:I have two pair of black dress shoes I use for performances. I have owned both pairs for about 25 years and it is time to get a new pair. I don't mind paying a premium for a really good pair of shoes. The old ones are Florasheim and Johnson & Murphy.

I would like to move from a leather sole to a rubber. I need more traction on and off stage when hauling tubas.

Any suggestions?
I use a pair of Santoni Black cap-captoed oxfords. They are rubber soled, but don't have the large rubber-looking sole you would expect from a lot of brands. Here is the modern version of my shoe, which is almost a decade old and looks brand new (both the sole and the upper). Plus, if they are still stitching on these rubber soles, you will be able to have your/a cobbler replace the sole whenever it does wear out.

I used to work very closely with a lot of these brands when I worked retail (at Nordstrom) and this is by far the best brand they have brought in, and is worth every penny (I grew up selling shoes with my father working with various companies and have never seen a brand come close to what this one does in terms of comfort and longevity).

Edit: I do realize this brand is a huge jump from J&M and Florsheim and more than most would ever think of paying for a shoe, but I can't recommend the brand high enough and you will get your money's worth.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
scottw
5 valves
5 valves

Post by scottw »

I have always bought the best shoe I could afford, with value and comfort a prime issue. BUT--at $625. a pair, I don't think they will work out in my closet! sorry, that's just a bit too pricey. Even with free shipping! :D
Bearin' up!
Rick F
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Rick F »

I bought a pair of Florsheim dress Oxfords (rubber sole) at Macy's two years ago. I know it's only been two years, but they still look new. Don't know if there is Macy's where you're located, but here's a link:

Florsheim Lexington Cap Toe Oxfords
Miraphone 5050 - Warburton mpc (Brandon Jones)
YEP-641S (on long-term loan to grandson)
DE mpc (102 rim; I-cup; I-9 shank)
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

Florsheim now has an integrated composite sole on their dress loafers, which I think is what you are looking for. That's what I have worn, and worn out many pairs at the day desk job, over the decades.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

iiipopes wrote:Florsheim now has an integrated composite sole on their dress loafers, which I think is what you are looking for. That's what I have worn, and worn out many pairs at the day desk job, over the decades.
Isn't it amazing how quickly desk jobs can wear out shoes?

Unless you're going to wear them at other "dress clothes" occasions, I say just go cheap and replace them. I'm sure the $700 shoes are worth it, but if a $50 pair of shoes can last you 2 years of concerts, that's going to take a LONG time before it's worth $700 for the fancy shoes... not including re-soleing them.

Personally, I hate black shoes (and black pants, and just about any other black clothes...), unless I'm wearing the penguin suit.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Well, since we're philosophizing - I'm for reasonable economy on black dress shoes, which I think go basically unseen - but since there seem to be plenty of options, I would try a few on, and I would pay significantly more for quality and fit. I'm amazed that even over $500, you get one or two widths, for example - but I gather one shoe's D will be narrower than another's, so that's one thing you get from a good shoe store.

Sadly mine have leather soles, so I feel your pain

... but I can wear comfy socks.
thevillagetuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by thevillagetuba »

I can never find a shoe that fits my foot comfortable with the arch in the correct spot for less than $100 and I tend to go through the soles of those shoes quickly (I wear through soles obnoxiously quick) which means that I am replacing them about every year or so. I therefore prefer to spend a little more upfront for a shoe with a sole that will last longer and can be replaced (generally for about 50-75 bucks) when needed.

And, with Florsheim and Bostonion moving manufacturing to India, there is a substantial difference in the both the build and longevity of those brands.

As with cars and tubas and everything else, we will all have those things we are willing to spend money on. For me, shoes are one of them.
Robert S. Pratt
B.M., M.M. Tuba Performance
Getzen G60 prototype
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

bort wrote:Isn't it amazing how quickly desk jobs can wear out shoes?
Yes, indeed. When you are up and around the office, even though it is a "desk job," I am on my feet a surprising amount. Then if dinner or another calendar item is right after work, or into the evening, I don't change, so I'm in my "dress shoes" an average of nine to eleven hours a day, every day, sometimes even on Saturdays and Sundays.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
cjk
5 valves
5 valves

Post by cjk »

Mark wrote:I have two pair of black dress shoes I use for performances. I have owned both pairs for about 25 years and it is time to get a new pair. I don't mind paying a premium for a really good pair of shoes. The old ones are Florasheim and Johnson & Murphy.

Any suggestions?

These can likely both be resoled and refurbished depending on the condition of the uppers and how many times they've already been resoled.

They can be resoled with leather, then have rubber half soles bonded to the leather or they can be resoled with dainite soles. Having rubber half soles or sole protectors glued on to leather soles is a $25 job at my cobbler.

This cobbler does mail order repairs and is reportedly excellent.
http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/dainite.asp" target="_blank

Your old shoes were much higher quality than the ones produced by those same companies today.
To get that same ballpark of quality now, you're looking at Allen Edmonds at around $400 or Alden around $500.

IMHO, The most appropriate suit or tux shoe would be a black cap toe balmoral like the Allen Edmonds Park Avenue. I had rubber sole protectors added to mine for better traction.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens- ... 15#start=4" target="_blank
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

If you wanna spend a little extra for a good quality, US made shoe. Nordstrom Rack, on their website, usually has a few Allen Edmonds available for about $200. That's a shoe that you'll want to get resoled and refurbished when it wears out - if you do that, they will last a LONG time.
Alex F
4 valves
4 valves

Post by Alex F »

I've had foot problems for years and struggled to find comfortable shoes. What has worked for me are the Dunham series shoes made by New Balance. They have several models, including dress shoes with full leather uppers, rubbers bottoms, and athletic shoe interiors. They also come in wide sizes. You can buy them at many NB stores, although they are sometimes special order items. They do run $120 to $150 a pair. Places like Zappo's sometimes offer a small discount. I wear them all the time.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

Allen Edmonds Wilbert shoes are rubber-soled dress shoes with a full Goodyear welt and are made in the USA. They are fully recraftable. Their black shoes are not really shiny, however. Rubber soles and glossy leather might be a tough combination in a quality shoe.

My black shoes for concerts (and for when I need black dress shoes) are Johnston and Murphy Aristocrafts, which are among the J&M shoes still made in the USA. But they are leather-soled.

My usual casual shoes are Ecco Trackers.

I have never seen Alden shoes for sale around here, but I hear good things about them.

My issue with cheap shoes is that they are uncomfortable. I'm no lightweight but I regularly traverse large airports carrying heavy things.

Rick "who has grumbled at cheap shoes that came apart before wearing out" Denney
Last edited by Rick Denney on Sat May 14, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

We had a young woman just out of college who refused to stop wearing black sandals to concerts. She seemingly just could not wrap her mind around why that was unacceptable. She was tossed out of the group after being warned twice to wear the appropriate footwear. She then accused us of being a sexist organization.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

Have the re-soled and re-finished by an experience cobbler. If you loved them.

Yes, I wear women's shoe but my black dress shoes cost $85 and wouldn't hesitate to have a cobbler make them fit my feet better. (They are navy black dress oxfords-not flats or heels).
--farah chisham
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

tofu wrote:We had a young woman just out of college who refused to stop wearing black sandals to concerts. She seemingly just could not wrap her mind around why that was unacceptable. She was tossed out of the group after being warned twice to wear the appropriate footwear. She then accused us of being a sexist organization.
Why didn't she wear socks or dye her feet black??

8)
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Bluchers??

With a Tuxedo??

:shock:
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

Three Valves wrote:Bluchers??

With a Tuxedo??

:shock:
Maybe I'm missing something from your post, but I'm not aware of any style convention that discourages a blucher style shoe being worn with a tuxedo. Seems to me a blucher style plain toe or cap toe would work well. Blucher wingtip might be a little less traditional with a tux, but I don't see any reason why not.

There is a traditional preference for patent leather with tuxedos, but I think even that convention has become more flexible. Black (non-patent) leather shoes have become pretty acceptable with a black tux nowdays.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

Some of you Hippies may hang with the "if it feels good, do it" crowd but not me!!