Hmm...

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
nobody
bugler
bugler

Re: Hmm...

Post by nobody »

Mooooo.
The best way to have a long life is to try not to shorten it.
My name is Nobody.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

My cat says "meow" all the time. What the heck does "meow" mean?
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
http://www.thevillagetinker.com" target="_blank
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

TubaTinker wrote:My cat says "meow" all the time. What the heck does "meow" mean?
It means, "FEED ME!".

Ace
nobody
bugler
bugler

Post by nobody »

TubaTinker wrote:My cat says "meow" all the time. What the heck does "meow" mean?
It's catspeak for "Quack!"
The best way to have a long life is to try not to shorten it.
My name is Nobody.
Heavy_Metal
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Heavy_Metal »

Puuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....................................
Principal tuba, Bel Air Community Band
Old (early 1900s?) Alexander BBb proto-163
1976 Sonora (B&S 101) 4-rotor BBb
1964 Conn 20J/21J BBb (one body, both bells)
1970s Marzan Slant-rotor BBb
~1904 York 3P BBb Helicon
Old Alex Comp.F, in shop
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

SJP wrote:Are we really this bored?
It's either waste time like this or get back to work on a wrecked Marzan.

I built seven new bird houses yesterday!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
Current 'stable'... Rudolf Meinl 5/4, Marzan (by Willson) euph, King 2341, Alphorn, and other strange stuff.
Uncle Buck
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Uncle Buck »

What does the fox say?
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by iiipopes »

My avatar refuses to oblige the OP.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Dan Schultz
TubaTinker
TubaTinker

Post by Dan Schultz »

It appears that we may have a start on a new 'update' thread!
Dan Schultz
"The Village Tinker"
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Congrats on the new F :!:
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bisontuba »

Congrats!
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

TubaTinker wrote:
SJP wrote:Are we really this bored?
It's either waste time like this or get back to work on a wrecked Marzan.

I built seven new bird houses yesterday!
Dan, I'll buy one of those birdhouses, but it will have to fit a surly psycho 6/4 size blue jay.

Ace
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

Ace wrote:Dan, I'll buy one of those birdhouses, but it will have to fit a surly psycho 6/4 size blue jay.
What kind of blue jay? Up here we have mostly Stellers, all dark blue with big crests, real loud and assertive, but once in a while some variation on the "scrub jay" has been showing up here, lighter/medium blue kind of like a classic blue jay but with some grey, no crest. The Stellers are fun to watch, but I'm glad we don't have any resident in the immediate neighborhood, as I'm pretty sure they would clean out the songbird nests. I would get a bird house that doesn't fit this one, for the win.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ace »

Donn, I well remember those Stellers jays. One of my Army assignments in 1960-61 was at Fort Lewis WA near Tacoma. My wife and I lived off-post in the Lakewood district very near North Fort. Those Stellers were all over the place. They are beautiful birds but their temperament can be noisy, aggressive, and downright mean. Our two cats and Boxer dog were victimized daily by the swoops from those birds. I liked the black crests on the Stellers.

Ace
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Last edited by The Big Ben on Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Ace wrote:Donn, I well remember those Stellers jays. One of my Army assignments in 1960-61 was at Fort Lewis WA near Tacoma. My wife and I lived off-post in the Lakewood district very near North Fort. Those Stellers were all over the place. They are beautiful birds but their temperament can be noisy, aggressive, and downright mean. Our two cats and Boxer dog were victimized daily by the swoops from those birds. I liked the black crests on the Stellers.
I grew up in South Seattle. We had a huge Monterrey Cyprus tree in our front yard. Every year, there was a Stellar's Jay nest in it. We had a cat and all it took was to have the cat come out of the door and the jays were right on her. Feisty little buggers. One of the pair came down and popped the cat right between her eyes and kitty decided that the front yard was now bad and had evil things in the trees. Kitty stayed out of the front yard. We had all kinds of birds living in our yard but our place was just city block sized with trees and bushes. My Dad put out specific types of food to attract the birds he wanted to see. We had a woodpecker house on one of the outside corners of the house. It was a piece of fir, about 2 feet in diameter and four or five feet long. He cut it lengthwise, hollowed out the inside and cut a hole in the wood. This was hinged together so he could clean it out when the woodpeckers moved on. My father didn't smoke, drink or chase women and went to work every day so my mother tolerated having chunks of wood bolted to the outside of the house.
Donn
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Donn »

There's a woodpecker (flicker) nest a block from here - drilled straight into a new telephone pole. Maybe your father's woodpecker accommodations saved the public utility dept some long term pole replacement cost - I don't imagine a nest hollowed out in the pole does much for its structural integrity.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

Donn wrote:There's a woodpecker (flicker) nest a block from here - drilled straight into a new telephone pole. Maybe your father's woodpecker accommodations saved the public utility dept some long term pole replacement cost - I don't imagine a nest hollowed out in the pole does much for its structural integrity.
I dont think the power co. soaks the poles with nasty any more. I think the "log on the house" was the path of least resistance for the 'peckers. They kept bugs and stuff away from the house, too.