TubeNet - Wayback Machine - First Version Non-BBS

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Bloopy
lurker
lurker

Re: TubeNet - Wayback Machine - First Version Non-BBS

Post by Bloopy »

the elephant wrote:If Sean turns this place off we will lose all that.
You can feed the Wayback Machine links to get it to archive them. Though not sure if there's a tool to save doing them one by one: http://archive.org/web/" target="_blank
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

the elephant wrote:There are many thousands of pages, hundreds of thousands, since most of the archives are in the old BBS format that was threaded and that goes back to 1998. (All the posts from 1996 up to that time were lost, according to Sean, which really is a shame.)
As a searchable resource, it truly is a loss.

It was also interesting to read early TubeNet posts by students who have subsequently gone on to fill some of the most prestigious tuba chairs in the world.

"prestigious tuba chair"...perhaps an oxymoron to anyone but those reading this and/or those who sit in a permanently endowed Principal Tuba chair.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
deholder
bugler
bugler

Post by deholder »

I purchased a Miraphone 186 in 1995 and a few years later the orchestra and quintet I was playing in disbanded (Dallas/FW area). I was also busy with grad school and we were having a baby. So, sadly the horn had to go.

I posted the horn here in 1998ish. And it took a while to sell. One user really lit me up because I did not know the lingo and had not described it correctly. Funny bit of irony his professor at Oklahoma Univ, contacted me to inquire about the instrument and politely ask me about the horn. I answered his questions and thanked him for not ripping me a new one. He let me know that 'guy' was a student and a week later I got an apology email. Small world. I eventually sold the tuba to a guy in Colorado.

Anyway, I do not remember my username, or even the email I would have used. So I went through the archive one page at a time looking for it, and never did find the original post.

When I started playing I returned to this db and I think I read so so much before I even signed up to post. I get to play regularly now and it is like therapy for me, it keeps me sane.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

That archive you linked was the first 2004 version that used phpBB. The prior forum was really just bulletin-board software, and that archive exists now only on the Tips page here. Everything from 2004 on is available here, but Sean updated to a newer version of phpBB at some point.

I remember the discussions when we went from BBS software to forum software. In the BBS software, we could put whatever name we wanted. There were several "Guy from ____" names, including "Guy from California" (now recently departed Tubenet, sad to say), "Guy from Oregon", and even the occasional appearance of "Guy from Virginia". It was easy to scan down the BBS and see not only who had started threads, but who had participated in them. There was something to be said for being able to prioritize one's Tubenet time based on people rather than topics.

But there's also something to be said for reasonable admin tools, and phpBB provided that. It also allowed the creation of a small income stream.

It took a while for names to settle, except for some of us. Joe became "bloke" because his credentials had been challenged and his credentials weren't something he wanted to be at issue. I had to give up my occasional appearances as a Guy from Virginia, but there are a couple of others who have appeared as others.

Rick "Rick "Guy from Virginia" Denney" Denney