Lathe recommendations

Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
Forum rules
Be kind. No government, state, or local politics allowed. Admin has final decision for any/all removed posts.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Lathe recommendations

Post by roweenie »

I've decided it's time to take the plunge and invest in a lathe. I'm not looking for anything industrial, just something small that will assist a hobbyist in simple tasks, such as cutting tubing, making decorative cuts on ferrules, etc.

What would be a good machine to buy, and what size would fulfill my needs? I'd prefer to get a good used American brand, and avoid anything made in China (Harbor Freight, et. al.). Also, what accompanying tools would be useful?

And, if someone has a specific machine that they might be interested in parting with, maybe we can discuss that too?

Thanks!
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Michael Bush
FAQ Czar

Re: Lathe recommendations

Post by Michael Bush »

bloke wrote:I can't remember who made them
Rockwell.

They are still excellent lathes when they're in good shape, and you can sometimes get Rockwell branded parts for them on Ebay.
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

Thanks for all of the great suggestions so far!

The Sherline lathes look really nice, but may be a little out of my price range....

I have been thinking that a Craftsman (Atlas) lathe (especially one from the 1950s - 60s) would be a good choice. Also, I've heard that the smaller South Bend lathes (light use, non-industrial) would be a good option, although they actually have collector value that drives up the price somewhat.

What would be a decent size to get? I've seen that smaller lathes come in a variety of sizes (especially 8", 9", 10", 12") - I wouldn't want to buy one that is too small and be disappointed, but also wouldn't want to get one that is too big and therefore is "overkill".

And, what basic tooling should I look for?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Post by roweenie »

bloke wrote:A long bed, also, is handy for lathe-straightening trombone slide tubes, but you likely won't be trying any of that...
Yes, you are certainly correct on this point!
bloke wrote:I value a long bed more than a wide material accommodation...but that's because I work on little stuff mostly.
This makes sense to me, also; I can't imagine that I'll be working on any tubing larger than .850 in diameter, but I see where length could be much more important.

I could be wrong, but it seems that lathes over 12" in length tend to become more "heavy industrial" (stationary, DC power, more expensive, etc.), and I was looking to avoid these traits.
twoconnguy
bugler
bugler

Post by twoconnguy »

I wouldn't worry about the brand as much as what you find and the condition it is in. Sometimes you'll see Dad's or Grandpa's lathe on Craigslist and it will be an Atlas/ Craftsman that is in like new condition. Can't go wrong with a 9 or 10" South Bend and they turn up from small shops like an electric motor repair shop and have not lived a hard life. Logan lathes turn up and they are nice machines and have a bit of a cult following on some BBs. An older Jet or Enco that was made in Taiwan and not mainland China can be good machines too.
As for tooling, 3 & 4 jaw chucks, faceplate, steady rest, and live center. A quick change tool post, rocker tool posts can be a challenge to get the tool rake and center height correct if you don't have experience with them. A collet closer and collets are nice for small diameter work and making hardware (screws).
I have a 13" x 48" Leblond Regal that is a year younger than me, 1953. I found it years ago, well tooled for a good price, $800. I was a machinist, model maker and tool maker in a previous life, so I like having a machine that will really remove material when I need too. Just my 2 cents.
Silver 25J, Bell Up & Front
Silver 38K Sousa
186-4R Mirafone, Bell Up & Front
M & W 19, Detatchable Bell
First John Philip Sousa Memorial Band
http://www.sousaband.net" target="_blank
Plymouth Concert Band
http://www.plymouthconcertband.org" target="_blank
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Ken Herrick »

If you are going to be cutting tubing for a tuba you will need something with almost an inch bore through the throat - at the least 3/4 inch - which is not common in anything under a ten inch machine. It is a good idea to get something which will handle larger material than you expect to work with rather than find you just can not do what you want because the machine is just a little to small.

Forget the Sherline - far to small and under powered to be of much use unless you only plan to make tubas for Barbie Dolls.
Free to tuba: good home
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

Hey Roweenie,
Contact me, I have a old lathe (it is industrial though) that you could basically have with all the tools (Mostly woodworking tools though)included. You just need massive amounts of help getting it out of my basement and into a large vehicle, because that thing is HEAVY. Let me know if you are interested.
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb