Fall 2022 Assistantships at Washington State University

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
euphoniac84
bugler
bugler

Fall 2022 Assistantships at Washington State University

Post by euphoniac84 »

Greetings to all you lovely tuba and euphonium players! The Washington State University School of Music anticipates teaching assistantships will be available for Fall 2022. Potential teaching assignments include studio instruction, general education courses, music major courses, assisting with the Cougar Athletic Band program, recording studio, music technology, instrument inventory, and stage management. General education courses include topics such as film music, rock history, and jazz history. Additionally, WSU has funding for a diverse scholars program, an initiative designed to increase access and opportunity for aspiring graduate students who come from an underserved/underrepresented community. Both euphonium and tuba players are encouraged to apply!

The financial package is quite nice. In fact, it makes me a wee bit jealous! Assistantships come with a stipend of approximately $14,449.50 per year ($1,605/month), health and dental insurance, and a non-resident tuition waiver. Applicants must have a 3.00 cumulative GPA as well as a core undergraduate music GPA (theory, ear training, and history) of 3.00. An application includes the online WUS graduate school application and fee, a statement of purpose, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and an audition/interview with the brass faculty. Auditions are arranged on an individual basis. Applicants are welcome to perform music from a recent recital and/or anything that demonstrates their current level of playing.

WSU is a large research university located in Pullman, WA and is a member of the Pac-12 athletic conference. The studio averages approximately 12-14 players ranging from first-year students through graduate students. The studio culture here is supportive, encouraging, and inclusive of diverse learners from all types of backgrounds. Equity and inclusion inform my pedagogy, creative activity, and service to students, the university, and the profession. Everyone belongs and has a seat at the table in the WSU tuba-euphonium studio.

WSU tuba and euphonium students have been prizewinners at local, regional, state, national, and international competitions. Graduates have gone on to DMA programs, to public school teaching positions, and perform in professional ensembles. The Kimbrough Music Building houses a state-of-the-art recording studio made available to students for recording projects. We aim to have two low brass guest artists visit campus each year for recitals, lessons, and master classes.

If you are interested in this opportunity, please email me at chris.dickey@wsu.edu. I would love to chat with you!
Dr. Chris Dickey (they/them)
Miraphone Performing Artist
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
School of Music
Washington State University