Central Washington University undergrad and graduate openings – Fall 2022

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
DavidMcLemore
bugler
bugler

Central Washington University undergrad and graduate openings – Fall 2022

Post by DavidMcLemore »

Good evening, folks!

Central Washington University will have several tuba and euphonium openings for Fall 2022. The tuba-euphonium studio typically consists of 13-15 students pursuing degrees in music education, music performance, and theory & composition, not to mention secondary major and minor areas of study within CWU.

Tuba-Euphonium majors at CWU work with me in applied lessons and our weekly studio class, wherein each student performs for the class at least once per quarter. Studio members enjoy performance opportunities in CWU’s three concert bands as well as the orchestra, tuba-euphonium ensemble, and brass choir. Students also regularly participate in brass chamber ensembles as well as jazz band and combos.

As the director of the studio, I strive to cultivate and maintain a supportive and inclusive environment in which students feel both welcome and respected. To promote engagement, I regularly consult the studio regarding prospective guest artists, conferences to attend or host (NWRTEC 2018, for example), as well as topics for discussion in studio class. We regularly bring guest artists to campus in person or, more recently, via Zoom to work with studio members; recent guest artists include Jarrett McCourt, Demondrae Thurman, Charlie Goodman, Beth Mitchell, and John DiCesare.

Music and general scholarships are available, as well as graduate teaching assistantships for graduate applicants. For more information on the benefits and requirements of graduate assistantship, visit https://www.cwu.edu/music/graduate-teaching-assistants.

The CWU Department of Music is committed to preparing students for careers in music, providing them with the skills to become knowledgeable and confident music educators, performers, and practitioners, enabling them to enrich the lives of the communities in which they live and serve. The department serves as a leader for K-12 music education and provides opportunities for the general public to experience music performances of the highest quality in a broad range of styles and genres.

Music auditions will be held on campus in Ellensburg, WA on Saturday January 22nd, Friday February 11th and Saturday February 12th. If you are unavailable for these dates or would to audition virtually, alternate audition times and digital auditions are available. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me at David.McLemore@cwu.edu

Cheers,

David M
David McLemore, DMA
Senior Lecturer of Music
Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
Central Washington University