Charlotte Symphony Orchestra 2022

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Colby Fahrenbacher
bugler
bugler

Charlotte Symphony Orchestra 2022

Post by Colby Fahrenbacher »

Alrighty every body, the Charlotte Symphony audition should be completely done by now. How did every one feel about it? Anything expected happen that you learned from? Anything you really appreciated from the experience of the audition? Anyone know what the semi-finals and finals repertoire lists were? Or who we should be congratulating?

Preliminary Excerpts

- Prokofiev, Symphony No. 5 (Mvt. 1: Reh 3 to 2 before Reh 6)
- Respighi, Fountains of Rome (Reh 11 to downbeat)
- Holst, The Planets, Jupiter (bar 16 through 2 after Reh 1)
- Berlioz La Damnation of Faust, Hungarian March (Reh 20 through 2 after Reh 21)
- Mahler Symphony No. 1 (Mvt. 3: 4 bars before Reh 3 through 8 bars after Reh 4)

Full Excerpt List

Vaughn Williams: Concerto for Bass Tuba and Orchestra Mvt. 1: beginning to downbeat of Reh 5

- Berlioz La Damnation of Faust, Hungarian March (Reh 20 through 2 after Reh 21)
- Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique (Tuba 1) (Mvt. 4: Reh 56 through 4 after Reh 58 & Mvt. 5: Reh 84 to end)
- Brahms Symphony No. 2 (Mvt. 4: Reh O through end)
- Bruckner Symphony No. 4 (Mvt. 1: Reh A through bar 73)
- Gershwin An American in Paris (4 after Reh 67 through Reh 68)
- Holst The Planets, Jupiter (bar 16 through 2 after Reh 1, 4 after Reh 11 through 5 before Reh 12, &bar 380 through 7 after Reh 17)
- Mahler Symphony No. 1 (Mvt. 3: 4 bars before Reh 3 through 8 bars after Reh 4)
- Mendelssohn A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Overture (16 after Reh G through 1st bar of Reh H)
- Prokofiev Symphony No. 5 (Mvt. 1: Reh 3 to 2 before Reh 6)
- Respighi Fountains of Rome (Reh 11 to downbeat of Reh 14)
- Revueltas Sensemayá (Reh 2 through bar before Reh 8)
- Strauss Ein Heldenleben (1 after Reh 62 through 2 after Reh 65 & 1 before Reh 74 through 2 after Reh 75)
- Stravinsky Petrushka (1911 version) (2 after Reh 100 through 4 after Reh 101)
- Verdi Nabucco Overture (beginning through end of bar 16)
- Wagner Lohengrin: Prelude to Act III (Reh 2 through 7 after Reh 3 & 1 after Reh 5 through 4 after Reh 6)
- Wagner Overture to Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg (Reh J to Reh L)
- Wagner Siegfried: Prelude to Act II (bar 6 through bar 56 (17 before “Un poco animando”))
- Wagner Die Walküre: Ride of the Valkyries (pickup to 4 bars after Reh 10 through downbeat of Reh 12)

Pretty standard list, nice to Siegfried pop up. I've always found that one fun to work on. I thought the Charlotte Symphony ran an exceptional audition. It was incredibly well organized, communication was clear and abundant, and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Warm-up rooms were immediately available for me, and the walks around the building were blissfully short and not taxing. The symphony was clearly trying to hard to operate within their audition guidelines to guarantee as fair an audition as possible (from what they said, all rounds were blind). They were also keeping everyone's health in mind by requiring masks in building when moving about.

I drove into town the night before to find some heavy St. Patrick's Day (Unofficial?) festivities going on downtown. I was concerned that it might be an issue, but my hotel was far enough from the major bars (or the partying ended early enough) that I didn't notice it.

That's all I can think of. How did everyone else feel? Hope you all played great!
Former tubist, USAF Bands
benvas
bugler
bugler

Re: Charlotte Symphony Orchestra 2022

Post by benvas »

Colin Benton, student of Mike Roylance, was the winner. Congrats Colin!
Ben Vasko
Boston, MA
http://www.benvasko.com
itai
bugler
bugler

Post by itai »

Congrats Colin! :tuba:
Itai Agmon
Israel Philharmonic Orchestra
Seth.2014
lurker
lurker

Post by Seth.2014 »

Semifinal Excerpts

Revueltas: Sensemaya (reh 2 through bar before reh eight)
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, Mvt. V (84 to end)
Wagner: Lohengrin Prelude to Act III (2 through 7 after 3)
Wagner: Lohengrin Prelufe to Act III (1 after reh 5 through 4 after reh 6)
Gershwin: An American in Paris (solo)
Holst: The Planets, Jupiter (4 after reh 11 through 5 before reh 12)
Wagner: Overture to Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg (reh J to reh L)
Wagner: Ride of the Valkyries