College Auditions Bookmark and Share

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results

College Auditions

Postby tuba_junkie_06 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:33 pm

What would the best piece to play for Auditions? I'm probably going to go with the Hindemith Sonata but was wondering which two movements are the most contrasting in tempo and style? e-mail me at bebeling11@netzero.net or shoot me a PM

Thanks,
Eric
tuba_junkie_06

Postby Scott Sutherland » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:59 pm

I normally have my students prepare one or two movements of a solo (usually the Haddad, Broughton, or Marcello in F), a rochut or bordogni etude, plus three orchestral excerpts (usually the Ride, Prokofiev 5, Meistersinger, Sym Metaph. or Planets).

I would prepare the first movement of the Hindemith (plus maybe the cadenza at the end of the third movement), a legato etude and a few orchestral excerpts. Make a list of your prepared rep for each of the members of the audition committee so that they may determine what they would like to hear.

Good luck!
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Postby THE TUBA » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:02 pm

That sounds like a good idea, just make sure that you some what familiar with the whole sonata (just in case the professor or audition pannel wants to hear more).
[/post]
THE TUBA
4 valves
4 valves

Postby k-towntuba » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:43 pm

So, now that we are in the heat of college audition season (or the end of it for those lucky enough to be done) how did everyone do? I have had Eastman and New England Conservatory thusfar, and both have gone very well. SUNY Purchase tomorrow, Monday I have a double header: Manhattan School of music, then Juilliard. Oh the joys of college auditions :roll:
k-towntuba

Postby joshstanman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:12 pm

I just finished auditioning. UT and MTSU offered hefty amounts as a non-tuba major. I got into TTU (let's see a conservatory beat Winston Morris and the Tuba Ensemble there!), however, due to the size of their tuba department without scholarships, there is NO money for tubists at Tech. The program itself is scholarship enough for me.
joshstanman

Postby hurricane_harry » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:32 pm

i used the hartley suite for my audidtion. it seemed to go pretty well.
Harry Phillips IV
Miraphone 1291.5
Yamaha 822-S
hurricane_harry
bugler
bugler

Postby BassClef » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:39 am

joshstanman wrote:I just finished auditioning. UT and MTSU offered hefty amounts as a non-tuba major. I got into TTU (let's see a conservatory beat Winston Morris and the Tuba Ensemble there!), however, due to the size of their tuba department without scholarships, there is NO money for tubists at Tech. The program itself is scholarship enough for me.

What town are you from? I went to high school in Kingsport. Good luck with the college decision!
BassClef

Postby clagar777 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:56 pm

I played the Ewazen Concerto.
clagar777
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Tubaguy56 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:48 am

I did carnival of venice for mine, VW is another great one for college auditions, I would stay away from the Gregson, esp the first movement, it seems a little too popular....
Tubaguy56
bugler
bugler

Postby kontrabass » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:19 am

Popular as in played often, or as in style?
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Postby TexTuba » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Tubaguy56 wrote:I would stay away from the Gregson, esp the first movement, it seems a little too popular....

I would disagree with this statement. I think it's a fine audition piece as it has some lyrical and technical qualities. When I auditioned, I had all of the Gregson ready and the second mvmt. of the Broughton. Ultimately, there really is no wrong piece as long as it shows the best of your abilities. But I'm probably wrong... :lol:

Ralph
TexTuba
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Albertibass » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:53 pm

i myself am in the same situation, (on the way to college the year after this one), and what ive been told by my band director, and friends in college, is that the difficulty of the piece isnt as important as is the music you make out of it. I thought i could play Theme and Variations on Blue Bells of Scotland, but then i listened to myself one day, and it was a mess. The technical stuff was fine, it just really didnt sound like music.

well thats my 2 cents.
Albertibass
3 valves
3 valves

Postby LoyalTubist » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:51 am

Play something you won't be embarrassed with. It needs to be difficult, but something not too difficult. I'd stay away from the Hindemith Sonata (ensemble problems every time I played it). A movement from Effie (Wilder) would be good. There's nothing wrong with doing something without accompaniment, unless they specify you need an accompanist.
6 valves
6 valves

Return to OPPORTUNITIES - education - employment