Chester Schmitz in Philadelphia??

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Chester Schmitz in Philadelphia??

Post by rodmathews »

I just heard (from someone who I believe would know) that Chester Schmitz is the new principal tuba of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Anybody got confirmation?

If true, that would be a very interesting development after Chester's 35 years in the Boston Symphony Orchestra! He sounded fantastic when he retired from Boston, and it would be great to hear him "back in the saddle" again.

Rod
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I heard he was auditioning, but I also thought the audition was later in the week...
porkchopsisgood
pro musician
pro musician

Post by porkchopsisgood »

If Chester is auditioning, then he......there is NO way he's auditioning.

To what end?

cmon, guys......

Think about how wrong and unethical it would be to replace a retiree WITH a retiree....not gonna happen.....Chester is incredible....but I'm sure he's enjoying Pitchers and Catchers right now and waiting patiently for the first Sox game......

Today was the first round.

Tomorrow there should be a new sheriff in town.

Stay tuned............
Allen V. Carter
Eastman 836
MW 2145
MW 45SLZ
XO Bass Bone

rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

If there is another round tomorrow, that would certainly answer my question.

By the way, age discrimination laws exist to protect people from "wrong and unethical" treatment. The "right and ethical" thing to do is to consider candidates based on qualifications for the job, not by their status as a "retiree" or "young guy" to include both ends of the spectrum.

Anyway, thanks for the info!

Rod
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

I went back and read the email from my friend again, and it says "Chester took Philadelphia." I read that initially to say he won it, but it could also just mean that he showed up to audition.

Anyway, time will tell!

Rod
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I thought they only took back the 20 or so who advanced to semi-finals or further last time. Was Chester in this mix?
Dave Roberts
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dave Roberts »

26 were invited.
tubapress
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Chester Schmitz in Philadelphia??

Post by tubapress »

Hi Rod,

I hadn't heard anything about this, but its an audition so anything is possible.

It would be wonderful to have such an amazing musician and player as Chester back in the ranks.

I guess we'll know soon.

How's life treating you, Rod?
rodmathews wrote:I just heard (from someone who I believe would know) that Chester Schmitz is the new principal tuba of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Anybody got confirmation?

If true, that would be a very interesting development after Chester's 35 years in the Boston Symphony Orchestra! He sounded fantastic when he retired from Boston, and it would be great to hear him "back in the saddle" again.

Rod
Gary Press
gary_press@yahoo.com" target="_blank
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I went to visit Chester 2 wks. ago between Pensacola Symph. rehearsals.I'm looking for a new f and wanted to try his 6valve B&S Symphonie,which he graciously allowed me to do.(Incredible horn in goldbrass).He didn't mention an audition but did say he had just bought a PT6 for his various subbing engagements.....
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

I just got off the phone

Post by Roger Lewis »

with Chester Schmitz and, unfortunately, he did not advance to the finals yesterday. Today they are hearing about 7 more semi finalists who could not be there yesterday, and the finals will be this evening, according to Chester. He had a great time and enjoyed meeting everyone there and feels he has made some new friends and had the opportunity to get reacquainted with some old friends as well.

Best wishes to all in today's events.

Roger
porkchopsisgood
pro musician
pro musician

whoops....hehehe....

As far as age discrimination goes: OF COURSE if Chester wanted to audition he would by all means be able to....and be more than qualified.

I just didn't think he'd have anything to gain by it......but then again that's in the eye of the beholder.

Taking my foot out right now..... :D
Allen V. Carter
Eastman 836
MW 2145
MW 45SLZ
XO Bass Bone

porkchopsisgood
pro musician
pro musician

Probably doesn't hurt to have his sound in your head when working on those organs either....hehehehe :wink:
Allen V. Carter
Eastman 836
MW 2145
MW 45SLZ
XO Bass Bone