Possible

Postby Jarrod » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:17 am

I "HEARD" that Carol won. This could be wrong, but this is what I heard
Jarrod
bugler
bugler

Re: Possible

Postby anonymous4 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:36 am

Jarrod wrote:I "HEARD" that Carol won. This could be wrong, but this is what I heard

That is true.
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Postby Jarrod » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:40 am

Does this mean people over 21 without a major orchestra job should quit?
Jarrod
bugler
bugler

Postby rodmathews » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:00 am

Congratulations to Carol! She's had quite a lot of major successes over the past few years, and I'm looking forward to hearing her play one of these days.

Something just occurred to me. Abe Torchinsky retired from the Philadelphia Orchestra to teach at the University of Michigan. Carol studied at the University of Michigan, and will be joining the Philadelphia Orchestra right out of school. Things are going full circle!

Rod
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Postby Roger Lewis » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:42 am

Carol is an amazing talent and a very hard working musician. She's done a great job preparing for this and it is a well deserved honor for her to be the new Principal Tuba of the Philadelphia Symphony. My sincere congratulations to her.

Roger
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Postby tuba_bloke » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:41 am

Does this mean that Carol will be the teacher at Curtis?
tuba_bloke
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:11 pm

Jarrod wrote:Does this mean people over 21 without a major orchestra job should quit?

Listening to her play makes you want to throw all your horns away and give up. :shock:

Do what you want, but if you can't consider employment outside of the major symphony orchestra realm, then you will certainly face some disappointments, unless of course you dedicate yourself to becoming a freak like Carol, Stevie, and others, and you are at the right place/right time, and you are at your best that day, and your best is the kind of best they want that particular day.

Glad to hear Zerk is in the mix. He'd be the first to tell you that auditioning requires more work and preparation than most players realize. Truthfully, most players just aren't that dedicated. It really takes more than what most are prepared to give. If you can do what it takes with practice and preparation, you've got just as much of a shot at it as anyone else, regardless of age. I ran that race, too. I didn't win some major job, but I had work in smaller orchestras, and had so much other work, I had to turn a lot down. Yes, I could have worked MUCH harder and found greater success. Fortunately, I'm now doing what I love. I found my niche. Just because there are Carols, Steves, Daves, etc. out there, doesn't mean you can't find your niche, be it in an orchestra, a rock/punk band (eh, Joe?), polka band, soloist, or just blowing the 5pm whistle at work with your axe. It's out there. You have to be honest with yourself about the state of your playing, to what degree you really want to dedicate yourself, to what your real desires are regarding the music you want to play. Not everyone is meant to be in an orchestra. Chances of any of us making it into one are extremely slim, even if you bust your *** unmercifully. That certainly isn't the end of the world. Don't take a defeatist attitude, but be realistic.

Congrats to Carol. Congrats to my friend Steve, and to Dave Z. You set the mark by which we judge ourselves in many ways, and you set the mark for where we would all like to be in terms of ability, etc. You're setting the bar mighty high, but it can be reached with hard work. Mighty hard work.

Doc
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Chuck Jackson » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:05 pm

Wow, what Doc said.

Chuck"who would love to buy Doc a beer or 7 and have a 5 hour long conversation on the state of things because he makes more sense than most people I know"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Tubadork » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:07 pm

WOW,
great post Doc!
Bill
and a big huge congrats to all who played at that audition.
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Postby rodmathews » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:05 pm

I was doing some searching on the web, and I found a real jewel. Go to this web page and check out the clips of a 17-year-old Carol playing on a live radio show:
http://www.fromthetop.org/Programs/perf ... m?pid=1677

The clips are Ponce: Estrellita and the Flight of the Bumble Bee.

She sounds fantastic!

Rod
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Postby ai698 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:12 pm

But, it doesn't erase the fact that they got beat by a girl wearing a bumble bee suit. :cry:

Seriously, if she sounded like that at 17, imagine what she sounds like 4 years later. Wow!! Time to get my 10 year old daughter to start practicing!
Steve W

Rudolf Meinl RM45 CC, Meinl-Weston 46 F, Mack-TU410L
ai698
pro musician
pro musician

Postby MKainuma » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:55 pm

Congratulations, Carol!

Morris Kainuma
MKainuma
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Doc » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:13 pm

Chuck Jackson wrote:Wow, what Doc said.

Chuck"who would love to buy Doc a beer or 7 and have a 5 hour long conversation on the state of things because he makes more sense than most people I know"Jackson

Gee whiz, Chuck. You and Bill are going to give me complex (and incur the wrath of others). :D

Some around here may not agree about the "making more sense" thing. What do I know? I'm just another fool walking around in this world like everyone else. I just call 'em like I see 'em. All will agree that I'm certainly an opinionated ***, right or wrong. I don't have as much life experience that some around here do, but life certainly has been a great teacher, many times in an humbling way.

When I was 20, I had a hard time being honest with myself, just like every other 20yoa. I learned some lessons the hard way. We all get our balls busted, one way or another, and we eventually get in tune with ourselves, who we are, and what we are about. It's not rocket science, but discovering those things about ourselves can be difficult, as it doesn't always align with what we'd like it to be or what we want to see happen. It sure as hell doesn't mean give up. If life's road has potholes, obstacles, roadblocks, and the occasional fender-bender or crash, you need to brake, maneuver, assess, shift gears if necessary, and take the best route, even if it's a detour around where we hoped to go. There may be another way to get there, or maybe the next destination is more fulfilling. Maybe we are right where we ought to be. It's tough not knowing. I've only realized in the past few years just how much trust and faith play a part in life. They have to, since we don't always know what lies ahead on the road of life. Dave Kirk always likened practicing and playing to trailblazing. I blaze a trail, and he just points where he wants me to go. Well, I ended up somewhere that was a surprise to both of us (and a lot of others, too). I still try to blaze a trail, be creative and innovative, break new ground, stay fresh, even though my chosen venue is not necessarily mainstream. Am I the best tuba player in the world? Hell no, but I'm one of the best at what I do, and I can take pride in that. Yeah, it's a little pond and I'm a big fish. So what? Shouldn't that be the goal for all of us, however we ply our trade? Do your best and drive down that road with a smile?

I'll take you up on that 7 beers one of these days, Chuck.

Doc (driving life's road with authority since 1969)
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby winston » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:37 pm

Last edited by winston on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winston Hind
The Naden Band of the Royal Canadian Navy
winston
pro musician
pro musician

Postby ThomasP » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:53 pm

The last that I heard she was at the University of Michigan with Fritz Kaenzig.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Chuck Jackson » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:42 pm

I'm hip, Doc. My personal little wake-up call came the first day of Basic Training when how a person was measured was by how many push-ups you could do. I had every **** duty for 10 weeks, lived through it,and never took anything for granted again. And I agree on the faith issue. Nothing hurts as much as when something you love goes south on you. When my Focal Dystonia became more than I could deal with I had to do some major soul searching. I realized that the gig was up and had to regroup. I was already teaching in the public schools and enjoyed it, so that became my musical oasis. I had never realized how much fun sharing music and learning could be. Then came radio and the chance to share again(gone now due to financial constraints: it is cheaper to have a sattelite service do your job for you) and conducting. While I never will occupy a chair in the back with the brethren again, I have my memories and knowledge and Thank God that I am still in music.

Carol Jantsch has a wonderful musical life ahead of her. My hopes are that that life is balanced with something away from the horn so those moments with it are that much more enjoyable.

And yes, to all out there that read this and are saying "What does this have to do with the Philadelphia audition? I'm with you, absolutley nothing, unless you consider that a 21 year old phenom just won a great gig and you are 45 and looking back at that aspect of your life, then it has everything to do with it. Very cathartic. I will thank Carol someday.

Chuck
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Postby MaryMacK » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:03 am

Congrats to Carol for winning the job!

As a 20 yrs old female tuba player myself, I can't believe people my age are winning gigs like that... I'm a bit speechless right now. I don't know when I'll be as good as her but knowing that somebody like her is out there is a great motivation for me to practice harder :D
DMA (in progress) - Bowling Green State University
MM - Indiana University
BM - Hartt School of Music
MaryMacK
bugler
bugler

Postby SymphonicBeast » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:52 pm

WIERD!!!!

We have a new harp player in the department, a transfer student from M*ch*gan (go bucks). She came up to me today and said...

"Hey Nick, you remember me telling you about a tuba player, Carol, that I lived with my freshmen year at UM? Well, she just won the Philly Job!!"

That's irony if you ask me.

A 21 y.o. girl winning that audition...That's impressive. Its a real feat if you can top Chester and Mike Thornton, not to mention the other fine auditions. Congrats to Carol.
SymphonicBeast

Postby dtemp » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:19 pm

Seems like there is only one viable answer:

d(who's trading in his horns for a 186 and robotic implants)temp
EEb
dtemp
3 valves
3 valves

Next

Return to OPPORTUNITIES - education - employment