Sewanee Summer Music Festival (Official)

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
musica5341
bugler
bugler

Sewanee Summer Music Festival (Official)

Post by musica5341 »

The Sewanee Summer Music Festival (http://www2.sewanee.edu/ssmf) at the University of the South in Sewanee, Tennessee, is currently accepting applications for three tuba vacancies. The festival dates are June 17-July 23, 2006. Students are selected for admission on the basis of background and performance ability. The minimum age is 12 with no maximum age limit; however, the festival gives preference to students who will benefit most from the Sewanee educational experience.

This summer festival, which is celebrating its 50th anniversary this season, combines a five-week program for advanced music students and a professional concert series. SSMF maintains three full symphony orchestras including two student orchestras, the Sewanee Symphony and the Cumberland Orchestra. The Festival Orchestra consists of faculty, staff and invited advanced students. Both student orchestras perform important orchestral repertory weekly. As of March 1, 2006, the Sewanee Symphony is scheduled to perform the following great works:

Franck Symphony in D Minor
Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3
Smetana The Moldau
Strauss Death and Transfiguration
Strauss Til Eulenspiegel

After six seasons as principal guest conductor of the Grant Park Music Festival, James Paul is taking over as artistic director of the Sewanee Summer Music Festival. Mr. Paul currently holds permanent posts as music director and conductor of the Oregon Festival of American Music and music director of the Oregon Coast Music Festival. Members of the brass faculty will include the following:

Ryan Anthony, trumpet
Jeff Nelsen, David Brockett, horn
James Box, trombone
Bernard H. Flythe, tuba

Bios on the aforementioned musicians can be found on the festival's Web site.

* SSMF would like to announce the re-instatement of its policy to automatically accept returning students who apply for admission to the Festival. Mr. Paul has determined to make this policy effective immediately. Previous SSMF attendees who send in applications will be accepted without audition materials, pending review of teacher evaluations from previous summers. If you are also applying for financial aid, a tape must be submitted with your application.

The March 15, 2006 application deadline is approaching fast. Please send your materials in soon. If you need more time to submit your application and/or have other questions, please call 931.598.1225 or e-mail ssmf@sewanee.edu for information.

Bernard H. Flythe
Assistant Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
Austin Peay State University
(931) 221-6169
flytheb@apsu.edu
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

hi

Post by TexasBassBone »

hi , nice to see ya, I ll be returning again Bernard, sorry if my post wasnt official, I thought I would help things out, but, the pieces are pretty awesome that you posted, I sent in my audition for scholarship money, Mark said I was re-accepted this year, and I needed to send in a audition for scholarship money, so thats pretty cool.