great place to go to high school and be in band...

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

Sounds like Bloke drank the koolaid!

Oh, wait... that was Jonestown, not Jonesboro...

My H.S. had a comparable facility (minus the indoor marching field). It was nice, but the quality comes from the staff. I'd bet that the directors that produced such a fine jazz band could have done it in the corner of a study hall.

In our extremely fine facility, we had two directors: one who had a pretty good reputation for symphonic band and zero experience in marching band, and one who had an excellent background in jazz bands. Both came to the school to start (for all intents) a new program with new students, my first year of H.S. (the previous directors had left to direct at the Dallas performing arts magnet school, and all the good players either followed them or quit the band). By the end of the second year, we had a pretty good symphonic band, about the most horrible marching band ever, and an outstanding jazz band -- in every way reflecting the quality of instruction we were receiving. The year after I left, these two were replaced with a former USMC Drum & Bugle guy and a fellow who, a couple of years later, left to play sax for Diana Ross (I think it was her; someone of that caliber, at any rate). In one season, the marching band went from total crap to first-rate, and the other bands stayed strong. The quality of instruction and direction was what mattered BY FAR the most.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

I'm glad to hear that some towns in Arkansas are spending money on music in the school and having success to show for it.

As I read the description in the first posting, Ithought Bloke could be describing a Texas school. It could have been any one of a hundred.

I came from Mississippi where most bands have to raise the money for new instruments and work in facilities which are often not adequate. Nonetheless, some extraordinary teaching occurs. I think Mississippi teachers do more than anyone should expect with a lot less than they need.

Texas, by comparison, is Valhalla for band directors. There are facilities, money (thanks to "Robin Hood" a much hated equalization process it's spread around), private teachers with parent/student participation and high interest along with high expectations.

There is an unfortunate emphasis placed on contests and contest scores. The only disappointing thing to me is the student burn-out.

Not to diminish Blokes glowing report on Jonesboro, just perspectives from other states.
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Alex C wrote:
There is an unfortunate emphasis placed on contests and contest scores. The only disappointing thing to me is the student burn-out.
Amen!!!
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Water Music
bugler
bugler

Post by Water Music »

Take a listen to their media section. I'm enjoying the soothing sounds of an ALTO SAX?!?!?!?! playing Flight Of The Bumblebee, and Holst's First Suite In Eb being massacred by this band. It may be old recordings, but it still sounds awful.
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

..but why is this in the Auditions section??
Joe Baker
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Joe Baker »

anonymous4 wrote:..but why is this in the Auditions section??
Sorry, our mothers told us not to talk to strangers. :roll:
"Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity -- Seneca
rodmathews
bugler
bugler

Post by rodmathews »

What exactly would one do with HALF a football field?

Rod
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

Boston Butt & Ribs Sale

April 24 - May 8

Delivery Saturday, May 13 9-11 a.m.(just before Mother's Day)

Turn-in date: 2-6-06 (Tuesday)
Mmmmm! Butt and ribs!

:lol:
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

LoyalTubist wrote:Mmmmm! Butt and ribs!
Hey! This is a "GP" site! Keep your proclivities to yourself! :wink:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
LoyalTubist
6 valves
6 valves

Post by LoyalTubist »

I quoted from the site Bloke wanted us to see!

http://www.jhsband.com/index.php?section=8

:lol:

Post by windshieldbug »

I know, just yankin' ya's chain... :wink:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Tom Mason
pro musician
pro musician

Jonesboro area.........................

Post by Tom Mason »

The Jonesboro area has four outstanding band programs. Jonesboro Schools, (High Schoool, Annie Camp Junior High, and McArthur Junior High); Nettleton High and Junior High; Valley View; and Jonesboro Westside High and Junior High.

Seven of these bands are of the same quality, and have outstanding directors. I did my student teaching in McArthur, when Steve Carlton came to the district. (University of Memphis assistant director at one time). Steve Warner and Stan Hall are the directors now. Stan and I attended ASU and graduated the same time. Steve is an ASU grad as well, and was at West Memphis, Hughes, and Poplar Bluff Missouri in the past, all having top level programs when he was there. Valley View is a great program that was started recently, and is also making a name for itself. It just got football inthe program, so marching will start happening in the next couple of years.

To make this tuba related, McArthur and Annie Camp use Jupiter 582's in their top groups.

Nettleton and Westside have equally impressive programs in both concert, marching, and jazz. I have had the pleasure of teaching private upright and electic bass students from each school. The Westside bass player is a 2 time all-state player who is on scholarship as ASU, and already has credits with playing for Faddis, Vadala, The Ellington Camp, and DiMartino. The Jonesboro bass player that Bloke heard is a Sophomore who missed all-state this year by 1 spot. (his first time to audition).

Nettleton is moving into a new band room and has a new performing arts auditorium that is spectacular.

Four years ago, I left teaching for a year of playing and head clearing. I was fortunate to have been available to teach at Westside for a semester while one of their directors recovered from an auto accident. You can tell the difference between great programs and the rest by the way the directors work. These schools hit the spot when it comes to band.

Bloke, I'm glad you got to hear the group at JHS. They are indeed a great program. All of the Jonesboro bands are ones you can't go wrong with being in.

Tom Mason