Atlanta Bass Trombone

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
joebob
bugler
bugler

Atlanta Bass Trombone

Post by joebob »

Anyone have any news about the Atlanta Bass Trombone audition? I believe it is supposed to be happening May 7-9.
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Satterwhite »

Finals are tomorrow afternoon. I only know of two finalists so far.

Dan
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Five people in the finals...

dbeckley, are you sure of your info? Some of the names you posted aren't what I was told.

Dan
james
pro musician
pro musician

4 of 5

Post by james »

I have four of five.
-Justin Clark
-George Curran
-Bryan Heath
-Andrey Kharlamov

anyone know the other guy??
Last edited by james on Tue May 09, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrew c oppenheim
pro musician
pro musician

Post by andrew c oppenheim »

i heard that the fifth was Matt Neff from the Navy Band, DC
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

I got word just now that George Curran won the audition.
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

I'm told the fifth finalist was Ben Green.

Word is that Bryan Heath is the runner-up.
CrappyEuph
3 valves
3 valves

Post by CrappyEuph »

Didn't George Curran just win Rochester last week?
james
pro musician
pro musician

anyone

Post by james »

Anyone have a complete list of SEMIfinalists? I have the list of what happened and who was in the finals. Don't need that. Stacy's site is not complete for semi's. Thanks.
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

hi

Post by TexasBassBone »

I was told by my teacher Darren MvHenry ( Dallas Symphony bass trombone).that Jeff Dee tried out.....did he not make it to the finals??
Thomas Maurice Booth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Thomas Maurice Booth »

Derekream...i still think you need to stop posting worthless bits of information, and cluttering up the board. Every time I see something you post, it is not important at all. Just because someone you know is trying out does not mean that they are going to advance or win.

tmb
I post because you're unable to Google.
glangfur
bugler
bugler

Post by glangfur »

Whoa...I don't think Derek meant any harm.

I was in the semis (not the finals) along with some others mentioned, and including Matt Neff, Pieter Wyckoff and Steve Nugget. That's still not a complete list, which I would also be curious to see.

I did see a couple of players there who have comparable jobs to Atlanta. The ones I saw played preliminary rounds. Some truly marvelous players did not advance, which just goes to show you that auditioning is a different skill from actually doing the job. The necessary skills are closely related, certainly, but playing an audition and playing a concert are VERY different things.

Peace out...
Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Vermont Sympony

Lecturer of Bass Trombone, Boston University
Guest Artist/Teacher in Trombone, U of RI

S. E. Shires Co.
gabe@seshires.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

hi

Post by TexasBassBone »

Thomas Maurice Booth wrote:Derekream...i still think you need to stop posting worthless bits of information, and cluttering up the board. Every time I see something you post, it is not important at all. Just because someone you know is trying out does not mean that they are going to advance or win.

tmb
If I want to ask what happened to Jeff Dee......I have that right....and for you to suppress my question with your personal vaules....of " cluttering"...etc......is wrong. Im sorry you feel that I am " cluttering" the forum....( I hardly come here anyways)......but, when I do come, its to hook up with tuba folks etc. I see this post about bass trombone.what do you think Iam going to do? If you dont like my stupid posts.dont read them, they might be interesting to others....you never know.
Dan Satterwhite
bugler
bugler

Derek:

I'm sure you didn't mean any harm, but just as many on the trombone forum have repeatedly told you, sometimes less is more. And, even though you "hardly come here anyways", I see that you are already bringing your special brand of charm. And Robert, it's MY opinion that a high school student asking why a major symphony orchestra bass trombonist did not advance in an audition is in poor taste...free speech, free exchange of information or not. If Derek wants to know why, he should ask Jeff Dee himself.

Dan
glangfur
bugler
bugler

Post by glangfur »

glangfur wrote:Whoa...I don't think Derek meant any harm.

I was in the semis (not the finals) along with some others mentioned, and including Matt Neff, Pieter Wyckoff and Steve Nugget. That's still not a complete list, which I would also be curious to see.

I did see a couple of players there who have comparable jobs to Atlanta. The ones I saw played preliminary rounds. Some truly marvelous players did not advance, which just goes to show you that auditioning is a different skill from actually doing the job. The necessary skills are closely related, certainly, but playing an audition and playing a concert are VERY different things.

Peace out...
I should add to this, because it's not a complete representation of what I'm trying to say, to Derek specifically but also in general:

Success in one audition does not by any means guarantee success in another, nor does success at actually performing guarantee success at any audition.

There are so many factors at play...some of the guys who got farther than me in Rochester didn't get as far in Atlanta. Why? Who knows...my own mindset for the day and theirs, tastes of the committees, the list goes on and on.

We all have to simply do the best we can to represent our playing well and honestly on the day of the audition. George has done the best job of that for the last two weeks. COngratulations to him are well deserved.
Gabe Langfur
Bass Trombonist
Vermont Sympony

Lecturer of Bass Trombone, Boston University
Guest Artist/Teacher in Trombone, U of RI

S. E. Shires Co.
gabe@seshires.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
TexasBassBone
bugler
bugler

hi

Post by TexasBassBone »

Tubadad wrote:
tuben wrote:Let's review the post in question;

"I was told by my teacher Darren MvHenry ( Dallas Symphony bass trombone).that Jeff Dee tried out.....did he not make it to the finals??"

I see nothing in those words asking why someone didn't advance, just asking if he did or not.
I personally think all of this, "I heard these guys advanced. No no, I heard it was THESE guys, you might check your facts" is all in poor taste. Why not wait until the official announcement is made and then post the results. If you want to know the score, call the ASO or get in touch with anyone of us who ACTUALLY LIVE IN ATLANTA and KNOW THE MEMBERS OF THE COMMITTEE to get the facts.

So to review, Derek never asked why someone did not advance, only if they did or not.

Robert I. Coulter
(sigh)
Well, Derek heard it from someone else that someone he doesn't appear to even know tried out...how many degrees of separation make it OK for these kinds of posts? It is in poor taste to be asking how someone did in an audition. Period.

I don't even know who Jeff Dee is - that is irrelevant - but Jeff Dee and any other auditioners should not be an item of gossip and rumor on this or any other internet forum. If Mr Dee wants to come to this forum and tell us his story, that's fine. But until then, let's respect his privacy.
To tell you the truth..........I know him from his Rep. at SMU here in Dallas..and from what Darren tells me....thats why I asked about Mr. Dee
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Two things

1. George is the man. Congrats!

2. This post is hilarious
Michael Woods
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Woods »

Well said Aubrey.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

This is the thread that never ends and it goes on and on and on....
:lol:
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
tubalamb
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalamb »

ba dum ching :D
Steve Lamb
U.S. Coast Guard Band