U.S. Coast Guard Band euphonium opening

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

U.S. Coast Guard Band euphonium opening

Post by Adam C. »

This release has been mailed and is going on our website today. Repertoire list is being assembled and should be ready in a week or two.

All questions should be directed to Chief Musician Greg Martin at gregory.w.martin@uscg.mil

Audition Announcement:
Euphonium
Audition dates: October 12-13, 2006
Repertoire TBD

The United States Coast Guard Band, one of the nation's premier military bands, has immediate vacancies for the above positions. Auditions will take place at the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut. All persons entering the Coast Guard Band are enlisted at the pay grade of E-6, as Musician (Petty Officer) First Class. Starting salary between $43,524 and $48,264, full military benefits, 30 days annual vacation and pension plan. Musicians are not required to undergo the 11-week basic training program; however, they must attend several training classes at the Coast Guard Academy. Initial enlistment is for four years. Maximum age at time of enlistment is 34. Entrance into the Coast Guard Band requires meeting not only the necessary musical standards but also all standards required for entrance into the Coast Guard. Detailed information concerning eligibility may be obtained from your nearest Coast Guard recruiter.
Thanks!

Adam
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Just curious: is Dan retiring?
tubalamb
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalamb »

Dan is leaving the CG band and has a fellowship to attend North Texas in the fall.

Steve Lamb
Thomas Maurice Booth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Thomas Maurice Booth »

Does Coast Guard Basic Training entail all the on the water type stuff, or is it like the other branches?

tmb
I post because you're unable to Google.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

Musicians in the CG Band are not required to undergo basic training.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

CrappyEuph
3 valves
3 valves

Post by CrappyEuph »

Some of those excerpts are kind of hard to find - are there going to be PDF files available?

- Jamie
pgiampi1
bugler
bugler

Post by pgiampi1 »

- and if they aren't provided, are we going to need names of arrangers for the transcriptions?
phil giampietro
ithaca college '06
university of north texas '10
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

MUC Martin would be the guy to ask for an official answer.

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure we'll provide them.

EDIT: Etude versions and arrangers will be clarified on the website this week. Also, we will be emailing PDF's of everything. For those awaiting an email response, the band has been on leave the past 2 weeks and will be back in later this week.

Adam C.
dwerden
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwerden »

I played in the Coast Guard Band for 26 years, and I can tell you it is a good gig! The band is made up of some very fine musicians and has good leadership.

As with any military band, the job will have a mix of duties. Naturally I enjoyed the concert tours the most - performing a concert in front of a new audience every night is quite an experience. We also did some nice recordings and played some very interesing gigs, including live network broadcasts. I got to perform with some pretty heavy-hitters along the way. AND the job will include some less comfortable situations. They still do a few parades and quite a few ceremonies. The band members have additional duties, but those are all related to running the band. In my early days I used to help in the recording studio; others help with publicity or the music library or...

I saw a few folks use the band as a stepping stone, and that is fine with all concerned too. You can go there for 4 years and get some great professional experience. There are good colleges, universities, and private teachers in the area, so you can make the most of those 4 years.

If you want to do this audition, prepare thoroughly because the standard are high. And be ready for some difficult sight-reading.
Dave Werden (ASCAP)
www.dwerden.com
Euphonium Soloist, U.S. Coast Guard Band, retired
Instructor of Euphonium and Tuba
YouTube, Twitter, Facebook