USAF Academy Band

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
tubabernie
bugler
bugler

USAF Academy Band

Post by tubabernie »

Anyone that sent in a tape hear anything yet??
Ed Vinson
bugler
bugler

Post by Ed Vinson »

This was in the last email sent out by the auditions coordinator.

"All auditionees who submit packages will be notified by May 19 whether they are invited to the live audition on August 2."
Reputable large German CC
Reputable large Japanese F
Reputable Swiss Euphonium
Reputable Japanese Bass Trombone
Crappy American Sousaphone
Kunzer
bugler
bugler

Post by Kunzer »

They sent their notification e-mails out a day early.
fatemokid
bugler
bugler

Post by fatemokid »

I got an email and I didn't make it to the live audition.
Better luck next time I guess.
J Stowe
bugler
bugler

Doh

Post by J Stowe »

I don't think I put an email on my resume.. :(
Go Dawgs!
Woo Pig!
Go Ducks!
james
pro musician
pro musician

there will still

Post by james »

There will still be an audition involving those already in the AirForce, to be held at the original date next Friday May 26th. Civilians have to wait until August 2nd to see if the hiring freeze has a possible end. My guess is that they'll hire somebody already in the AirForce next Friday since there will be very capable players there and they want to fill the spot as soon as they can. I could be wrong though. Hope I am.
Last edited by james on Fri May 19, 2006 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ThomasP »

My thoughts exactly James....
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Getzeng50s »

I got this letter Friday the 26th in the late afternoon in my e-mail:

Dear Mr Stephan

Thank you for sending us an audition tape for our tuba vacancy. Our audition committee evaluated your tape and we are pleased to invite you to attend the live auditions at The U.S. Air Force Academy Band, Peterson Air Force Base, Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Date: August 2, 2006

Auditions will be conducted in two rounds: preliminary and final. The preliminary round will begin at 8:00 A.M. The audition could conceivably extend well into the late afternoon hours. Please plan accordingly when making your travel arrangements.

Please note that this audition is still pending and is based on the potential lift of the civilian hiring freeze. All auditionees will be notified on or before July 11 if The Academy Band is still able host this audition. Also note that even though the audition on May 26 is no longer open to civilian auditionees, it is still open to other Air Force band members. There is the possibility that we will hire one of these auditionees. In this event, you will be contacted by the end of May. Because of the uncertainty of the August audition, we recommend that you not make travel or hotel arrangements until we are certain the audition is confirmed.

Congratulations on being invited to the live audition. We look forward to meeting you and hearing you perform.

Sincerely

Master Sergeant, USAF

Director of Auditions

I was # 19.
Santo Domingo Festival Orchestra
Orchestra of Indian Hill
Cape Ann Symphony
jbeish
bugler
bugler

Post by jbeish »

There must have been a ton of applicants! For the West Point Audition there were fewer accepted and I assume, less applicants as well. That is really tough to hear that you have to find your own way there since the USMA band paid for its auditioners travel expenses. Good luck.

Justin
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ThomasP »

How did you find out what number you were?

Also, from what I know in regards to the West Point Audition...90 tapes were submitted, I think 4 people were invited. It is the Army's practice to pay for the travel expenses of the invitees to their premiere band auditions, but they also invite very few.

The Air Force doesn't have that practice, but it also invites more people, and doesn't always have a tape round.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
jbeish
bugler
bugler

Post by jbeish »

I don't think he was being negative towards anything. That's just how it is. I was invited to the USMA audition in February and I was just stating that this is a different situation for a comparable job in a service band however in a different branch. It's a nice luxury that the Army pays for your travel expenses but I think that Thomas was not bashing the Air Force for not. I didn't send in a tape or anything but I'd be very interested in seeing what the AFAB packet is, if you'd be willing to share. Good luck to all the candidates auditioning!

Justin
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Getzeng50s »

I honestly dont mind shelling out for the audition. Im not going to go unprepared.
Orchestra of Indian Hill
Cape Ann Symphony
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ThomasP »

1. I did get invited.

2. Getzeng50s How did you find out the number? I want to know so that I can get an idea of how many people are going, I don't think the numbers are any sort of ranking thing.

3. If you want the list, call the place, maybe they'll give it to you? (I don't know what "protocol" is with this???)
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Getzeng50s »

the more that come the better :-)
Orchestra of Indian Hill
Cape Ann Symphony
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Getzeng50s »

word onthe street has it... the audition is off. no civialian hiring. anyone else hear this? Im waiting for the "official" announcement... but the commander of the band says as of today its off. maybe things will change?
Orchestra of Indian Hill
Cape Ann Symphony
runelk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by runelk »

When you audition for the Army, after you have been invited, you go see a Army recuriter and start the inprocess procedures (i.e. fill out all the paperwork, medical check, credit checks, law enforcement checks) and then if you meet the standards in all that (But You don't sign on the dotted line) THEN the Army will pay your way to the audition. If there is any problems with the inprocessing like being overweight that will get you DQ and you won't go to the audition.

The AF does not do that, but they take a gamble that the person who wins the job will get thru the military processing. If not, then the AF is back to square one again.

Army just wants to make sure that the people they listen to are already "good to go" in the Army standards. They pay your way because you are a possible investment/recruit.
The only thing for evil to triumph, is when good men do nothing...