Alabama Audition (again)

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
tubalex
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalex »

they went from 74 to 6 to 2 to 1. I believe the pay is around 30K, but that's a ballpark guess.
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TubaTodd »

tubalex wrote:they went from 74 to 6 to 2 to 1. I believe the pay is around 30K, but that's a ballpark guess.
The Alabama Symphony is a nice ensemble. As I understand it, the symphony is *not* full-time so most of the members also teach. When Steve Dumaine was with the symphony he taught at Samford University, University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), and Birmingham Southern (I believe these are all correct) which are all in the city of Birmingham. Some members of the symphony also teach at my wife's high school alma mater, the Alabama School of Fine Arts.

Congrats to Andy Miller!!! I hope I can schedule some lessons with him when he gets settled in town.
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

full time

Post by MikeMason »

my understanding is that the Alabama Symph. is full time. full time to an orchestral musician does not mean 8-5 week days. there is plenty of time for teaching for most any full time orchestral player.You are not really paid for your time but for what you can do,when needed...
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Re: full time

Post by TubaTodd »

MikeMason wrote:my understanding is that the Alabama Symph. is full time. full time to an orchestral musician does not mean 8-5 week days. there is plenty of time for teaching for most any full time orchestral player.You are not really paid for your time but for what you can do,when needed...
I stand corrected. :) Thanks Mike.
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H