Toledo Symphony Orchestra

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

harold wrote:31K for 200 services? That's $156/service - how disappointing.
Ummmmm...... In Atlanta union scale is $115 plus $15 for cartage ($130) and Toledo is a smaller market than Atlanta, plus it's a guarenteed 200 services. Not too bad for a 1st or even 2nd job. I rememeber talking with jeff Anderson when he was still in Rochester and he said that he was in the New Mexico Symphony he was making 18K a year (now that sucks) and when he won Rochester (over 120 ish people) that job was only about 35k. I figure that anyone who thinks they are going to get rich playing tuba is out of their minds, even some of the highest paying jobs are not that much over 100K (I'm sure there are some in the high 100K, but nothing like what a concertmaster or conductor would make).

You have to love it,
Bill
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Maybe, but if I had the skills I would take that cut in pay in a heartbeat instead of doing what I do now: waiting and watching glue dry. Not to mention 12 weeks of vacation a year 8) .
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
SplatterTone
5 valves
5 valves

Post by SplatterTone »

But you're forgetting all the tuba love-slave, groupies that come with the job. That's certainly worth something.
Good signature lines: http://tinyurl.com/a47spm
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

i bet someone with an entrepreneurial spirit could turn that into 45-60k pretty easy.I don't know any pros who JUST play their main gig,then go home and watch Oprah.Everybody from Mr. Jacobs,Mr. Deck on down the line all had related sidegigs- and it seems most were pretty passionate about them.I know of one orchestra pro who facilitates live music for serious and dying hospital patients via a non-profit he founded.The world is full of possibilities...
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

That's why you're not a professional musician. We do it for the love, not the cash. If I wanted to be rich, I would have gone into law or medicine.
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

euphoniac wrote:I thought that I would post a reply to this post concerning professional musician pay. It is unfortunate that many (most?) of today's orchestra's pay their players so poorly. When you think of the thousands of hours that performers spend practicing and listening to perfect their craft, it is like a slap in the face when musical organizations offer musicians such low salaries. Over the years, many of us have witnessed many orchestra's that have gone "belly up." Other orchestra's have had to re-negotiate salaries in order for them to keep afloat. That being said, a player pretty much needs to be in one of the top ten orchestras in the U.S. to make more money than a member of one of the D.C. military bands. Starting salaries as an E-6 are between $45,446-$51,647 depending on whether a person is married or not. This is just the actual dollars that one is paid before taxes. Now, these figures don't include the free medical, dental and eye care nor do they cover the tax free money that military members are paid for housing. Also, the bands purchase two instruments (that the individual picks out) that the individual will use for their job. Plus, military members earn 30 days of vacation a year, which is a great bonus. After 20 years of service, the military member will receive 50% of his/her pay for the rest of their life! Finally, the Army, for example will pay off an enlistee's student loans up to around $60,000. When you compare what the military offers, it's hard to compare a life in an orchestra where the future is unpredictable and a life in a D.C. band where jobs will always be available. Just as an example, what I make in a D.C. military band taxes, etc. is very close to what a principal in the National Symphony makes after they pay their taxes, etc. Just my $.02.
Sounds great, but I don't have any chance of holding a gun partrolling the streats of Lebanon or Iraq playing in any symphony orchestra. That right there is priceless to me.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Euphoniac, several issues here.No.1 is supply and demand.Audiences for live orchestral music are small compared to most all other entertainment choices.Players seeking gigs stretch for miles around the block.the New York Phil. could offer 35K per year and still get some damned fine applicants,even with NYC's cost of living.Another issue,as a euphist,you really have no other options to play full time than military,so you may have a limited understanding of what it means to play a romantic era mastepiece with a full pro orchestra-this can be a life changing event.Another issue,yes,the military,esp. the DC and special bands,have a great pay package,bennies,and quality of life issues,but i suspect there are many wonderful musicians who are musically very dissatisfied by playing a sousaphone in the rain at Arlington.I suspect they have to seek out other venues for musical satisfaction or just grow musically numb.All of the above is just an opinion from a guy too fat and too old,and not good enough to get a top military gig,but i suspect i'm still right :D
Pensacola Symphony
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Lisa, I think you've got it right. When I first realized that I could no longer perform at a professional level I was devestated. I went into a several year funk. But when I moved to Delaware, my wife suggested I look up a community band. And I felt like I had been hit by a searchlight. People got together just because they loved music, not just to insult violas, and many of them were quite good at their instruments, they just didn't make their main living that way. And they put up with me, because my being there meant that they could be there, doing what they loved.

Even before my crash, I felt like the luckiest person in the world, being able to pursue what I loved, at the level I was able to.

What you're saying makes perfect sense. And as long as the conservatories and schools keep on churning out 2,000,000% of the needed tuba players, just being able to do what you love full time is very, very wonderful.

So maybe you want to become one of those academicians churning out all those tuba players... :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

Hey Euphoniac,not being disagreeable,but just to continue a thought-provoking thread, when you say "orchestras should pay more" where do you thing the money comes from?It's not the government which can print money at will.Private orchestras get money from several different,constantly fluctuating sources.Ticket sales,donations,investment earnings,maybe a little advertising,and some government help.They are businesses,albeit,in most cases,non-profit , and most of them are small businesses.Labor cost,in the form of musicians,staff, and guest artists make up the lion's share of overhead cost.If the revenue isn't there,you can't just pay the musicians more with no consequences.Now i'm sure there is some bullying that goes on with orchestra management in some cases,but the bottom line is,the demand for classical music just isn't high enough in most markets to pay high(by regional standards) salaries to 60-80 people plus staff and guest artists and stay in the black.When orchestras don't stay in the black,bad things happen...Harold,if you think unions are the ultimate answer,ask the folks in the US automotive industry or musical instrument manufacturing industry how that works out these days...a $40 hr. trumpet builder is not really 10X better than a $4 hr.trumpet builder. controversial,but incontravertible...
Last edited by MikeMason on Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pensacola Symphony
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

A great deal of this inequity is programmed in to the symphony musician. Forget the money, the WORST PART is the way the musicians are treated at work. Even if the money is stellar, no business would last long with a conductor running the show. Somehow, going back in America to at least Toscaninni, and then to the European tradition, regardless of the amount of study on ones instrument, level of education (easily masters, often doctoral equivalents), knowledge of musical history and style, even artitsry in general. Orchestral musicians are often told to bend over and take it musically, to be treated as children, hardly collaborators. It is the RARE conductor who is able to make use of the resources before them. And audiences are programmed to accept this, too. Somehow, they think that each triangle clink is solely the product of the Meistro's interpretation. What do you think the work Meistro itself means? Certainly not a coordinator!

And yet these Meistros are making MILLIONS while their orchestras are making peanuts. The problem is not that there is too little money available, it is too poorly allocated.

Whew! Got that off my chest! :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

euphoniac wrote:Just as an example, what I make in a D.C. military band taxes, etc. is very close to what a principal in the National Symphony makes after they pay their taxes, etc.
While I agree that the D.C. military bands pay a decent salary and are very good options for a professional musician, I think that the difference between what you make and what a principal in the National Symphony makes should be clarified for those who don't know (probably the majority of those on this board). Here is a link to the details of the current NSO contract: http://www.icsom.org/bulletins/national04.pdf

For those of you who don't know what orchestra musicians make and don't know how to find out, you can look at the "settlement bulletins" on the icsom.org website.

As you'll see, the NSO minimum salary for this season (2006-2007) is $103,792. A principal player in a major orchestra very often makes at least 20% above that minimum (many make more than that) which would be $124,550.40. This would be for a first year principal. That figure doesn't inlcude the fact that players often negotiate higher salaries and also start getting seniority pay. Also, there are TV and radio broadcasts, recordings, extra concerts, overtime, and other things that pay money above and beyond the salary. So, let's say that the person only brings home 50% of that figure after taxes - that's still bringing home $72,000 - not bad for a first year player. This is of course a rough estimate.
euphoniac wrote:An interesting book that kind of touches on life as a professional musician is "Mozart in the Jungle" by Blair Tindall.
This was definitely an interesting book and fun to read. But most professional musicians I know would not consider this book an accurate reflection of their experiences as professional musicians.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

in answer to bug's last post, yes,but,with the line of replacement musicians stretching for miles,the management holds most if not all of the cards.Supply and demand again.It'll be a very long time before things are bad enough to have no applicants for jobs.There are a lot of very fine part time pros in the world who can do a fabulous job for a lot less,our friend Bloke,and hundreds of college profs.,for example.Please don't misunderstand which side of this i'm on,but the cold facts are apparent to me...I'm in no way saying there is no quality difference between full time pros and part time pros,i'm sure in a very high percentage of cases there is a big difference.The people who can really tell the difference are usually on stage and not in the audience or writing the checks,however...
Last edited by MikeMason on Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pensacola Symphony
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

joebob wrote:For those of you who don't know what orchestra musicians make and don't know how to find out, you can look at the "settlement bulletins" on the icsom.org website
And you'll also see JUST HOW MANY JOBS THERE ARE AT THAT LEVEL (1 tuba per orchestra). And considering what a career length may be, how often one of them might be available.

Then how many professional "part time" symphonies are there, which is where this thread was going. What they pay (which ain't much). Mama don't let your children grow up to be tuba players... teach them to conduct!
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

I should have stated that Toledo is not an "ICSOM" orchestra, it is part of ROPA (regional orchestra players association). For info about ROPA and what it's orchestras pay try their website: http://www.ropaweb.org/

It looks like Toledo pays more than most of the other ROPA orchestras.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Alex C »

harold wrote:Here's the point for those that tried to flame me:

It is absolutely despicable that an orchestra feels that $31,000 is an appropriate amount to pay someone with the type of education and experience required to fill this position.
I'm not flamin'

I agree that this is not a lot of money in the overall scheme of things. However, it's also not about the orchestra "feeling" that it is an appropriate amount. This is the required rate of pay.

They probably "feel" like they could get a qualified tubist for $28,000 or even (God forbid) $20,000 but the bargaining agreement they have requires that they pay $31,000.

Truth is: if demand for the highest quality in orchestral performance was more in demand, the going rate for a tubist in the Toledo Symphony would be higher.

Don't feel bad, pilots for smaller airlines get paid under $20 an hour only when they are in the pilot's seat. The Toledo tuba player gets more than that when he's in his chair. And his crashes won't hurt anyone.
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by ASTuba »

harold wrote:Here's the point for those that tried to flame me:

It is absolutely despicable that an orchestra feels that $31,000 is an appropriate amount to pay someone with the type of education and experience required to fill this position.

200 sevices at $156 a service. How many rehearsals and how much practice time? If you add all of this, then the compensation is much worse. In Washington State, the minimum wage is over $7/hr - and this probably doesn't meet that.

If I were resonsible for the finances of an orchestra, I would BANK on the point made by several of you:
We do it for the love, not the cash.
This tells me that no matter how poorly the compensation is structured, some guy is going to be willing to accept the position regardless of the compensation.

But then again, love doesn't feed your family or pay your bills. Tell the landlord that it is all about love and you will be sitting on the street.

Take a look at the website of any major orchestra. Read the biographies. Never in any other specialty - aside from library science - will you find such well educated people willing to work for so little money. The military bands? A good option if you meet the criteria and don't mind the lifestyle.

Can you change this? Probably not as long as someone is willing to work for whatever you are offering - and there is always someone.

Interesting to note that there aren't many people that love working on cars so much that they are willing to do it for minimum wage. Same thing with performing appendectomies or nearly any other type of employment requiring professional training and education.

At what point does it become less about love and more about fair compensation?

Does the orchestra bank on the fact that there are outside teaching opportunities so that you can supplement your salary? If I were the comptroller for the organization I would.

I can also tell you with certainty that $31K annually isn't going to get you very far even in Toledo.

So, how do tubists get paid better? Part of the problem is the union contract - I'm assuming that most of these are union gigs.

There are a few ways of doing this.

First, the orchestra needs to find a better way of finding community support. There are thousands of ways of doing this, but if the community doesn't see the value of having professional musicians, we might as well have big auditoriums with screens and prerecorded soundtracks. Wait, we already do - they are called movie theaters.

As an interesting side note, movie theaters generate far more money from the concessions than they do the films. Does this have an application here? I don't know, but it is an interesting idea.

Second, the people responsible for the fiscal management of orchestras should work out a deal with the local teaching institutions so that the teaching jobs are directly tied to the playing jobs. This allows a much better compensatin package which would obviously attract far more interest and potentially better players.

How many of you are going to apply for Toledo? How many would if it were paying 90K a year?

Third, the union needs to step up their representation. These guys are NOT someone that plays on a streetcorner, but classically trained and educated professionals. The track record of representation historically has been less than stellar. They need to find a better way of protecting the interests of the players.

In this aspect, the players also need to become more responsible. You need to show the public why they need to support professional musicians.

I have a pretty good job and work in an industry that has millions of well paid professionals working in every comunity across the country. I have NEVER been approached by any arts organizations in any of the communities I have worked in seeking support.

My experience has been that is is always my responsibility to find them and offer them my money - never theirs to come looking for it.

How many guys have accepted a position like Toledo and then found out that they couldn't afford to keep the job? There was a tuba instructor at Arizona State that made far more money selling real estate - so he quit teaching so he could better provide for his family. There are guys on this BBS that have left jobs that they loved because of "Financial Reality".

What happens if every potential applicant at Toledo declines the audition because the money is marginal?
Harold,

Since you decided to quote my post, I'll respond. I'm not trying to flame you, but I come at this from a different position than you are.

It's 100% impossible that everyone will ever boycott an audition. Period, not going to happen, so don't even bring that up. Let's talk in realistic terms.

I've lived on less than $25,000 per year in my short time. It is doable. Maybe it's not the best living in the world, but given me, a single male with no kids, I could make it work. Is it an ideal circumstance? No, but it's getting paid a fair amount of money to do what I love for a living.

There are better offers out there, but there aren't any at this time. This is a great opportunity for those of us that aren't playing professionally full-time for a living. Exactly what I want.

This is an interesting debate. Let's keep it going.
Chuck Jackson
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Chuck Jackson »

I swore I wouldn't post anymore, but this post is stupefying. While ya'll are jaw-jacking about the TSO's pay, someone is going to be practicing, getting the gig, and getting experience to get a HIGHER PAYING gig.

No one ever promised you a salary for what you think your worth. They are going to pay what they can. If I'm not mistaken, 31K goes a fair way farther in Toledo than it does in alot of places. If any one got into music thinking they were going to be well-off much less rich, it's time for a gut check.

No job is beneath you. Any chance to perform on your instrument is a step towards mastery of same and, more importantly, becoming a better musician.

Chuck"GONE"Jackson
I drank WHAT?!!-Socrates
DBCooper
bugler
bugler

Post by DBCooper »

What seperates humankind from the animals. The ability to play football? Sorry.

Art. So rather than robbing the poor to give to the rich, we should rather, as a culture, support those who help to create it. I propose that art IS the highest calling, not an extravagance.
Carpe filum (seize the thread!)
SplatterTone
5 valves
5 valves

Post by SplatterTone »

I thought I'd show up with a bass harmonica.
Good signature lines: http://tinyurl.com/a47spm
P8822
bugler
bugler

Post by P8822 »

Very interesting and lively discussion. In 1986 as an entering graduate student at IU, Harvey Phillips summed it up quite nicely: (paraphrased)

"Of the 28 of you in my studio (both euphonium and tuba), one or two of you MIGHT end up with a job as a player in a professional ensemble. I can not promise you will get a job as a player when you leave IU. However, if you learn all you can while you are here at IU about music - history, theory, composers, composition- you will have a life in music."

We all know that there are more "players" than jobs available. It has been that way for years. The reason I chose music is because I like to go to work and enjoy performing and teaching music. I consider myself lucky. Many people would be happier in life if they chose their vocation for reasons other than money.

The discussion of the value/pay for the conductor vs the regular members of the orchestra is not well thought out. A conductor helps to sell the tickets to the show, has dinner with the major benfactors and many other unseen duties. The principal tubist, while an important member in the orchestra, averages has about 20-24 hours a week to perform his or her duties in the back row. Yes, the player has to practice - so does the conductor.

Also note that the conductor, while not present for all the day-to-day performances of their home orchestra, establishes an important link with other orchestras their conductors and other important potential benefactors for his or her home orchestra.

Some other Harvey Phillips' paraphrases:

"You can accept your pay as a musician (orchestra performer, military bandsman or teacher) as 100 percent of your income or 50 percent of your income."

The person who wins Toldeo will have opportunities within the community to earn a living - teaching, arranging, conducting and producing, recording - etc.

"You are only limited by your imagination. Remember it takes just as much energy to think small as it does to think big."

While I agree that 31K in today's economy is not much money, you CHOSE to enter one of life's most volitile professions. Musicians are the last hired and the first fired. And if the money dries up from the benefactor's - what then?

Last Harvey Phillips paraphrase:

"No one is going to offer you a job $200K (or more) to play the tuba. You must go out a CREATE it for yourself."

Harvey would then would ask who is the highest paid tuba player in the world. Typical answers were Arnold Jacobs, Herb Wekselblatt, the tubist in the Berlin Phil etc. All were wrong - It was Chuck Daellenbach of the Canadian Brass. He may still be the highest paid tubist!

My advice - stop worring about the "low" pay for the job and worry about creating the gig of your dreams - a much more worthwhile and productive endeavor.

Sorry for the long post -

Paul Weikle
Florida Community College