Toledo Symphony Orchestra

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
joebob
bugler
bugler

Re: Red Flag

Post by joebob »

ContraEuph wrote:I think something everyone is also missing is, why is every low brass spot in Toledo open now? What kind of situation is it to make every spot in the low brass open all at once? That raises a red flag.
I am definitely missing that. Where are the trombone openings posted? As far as I can tell they weren't posted in the same edition of the International Musician as the tuba position.
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

ContraEuph wrote:http://www.musicalchairs.info/

under U.S. , then trombone
I had checked that sight before my earlier reply. That sight does not list any Toledo Symphony trombone positions. It does list 3 trombone positions with the Vancouver Island Symphony in Canada. I assume that's not related to the Toledo Symphony.
fatemokid
bugler
bugler

Post by fatemokid »

If you've got mad skillz then you are guaranteed a spot
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

tubaboy2005 wrote:Do you guys think I have a chance to win Toledo? Im graduating High School soon, and I own a Yorkbrunner? My teacher says Ive got mad Skillz.
The other violas are waiting for you! :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

Keep in mind that to audition for the Vancouver Island Symphony, you need to be a Canadian citizen. In Canada, and many european countries, orchestras are required to hold an audition limited to citizens of that country before proceeding to an international audition. Often the national audition is more of a "formality" because the orchestra wants the best player possible, they usually have an international audition regardless of who plays the best during the national audition (but they may very well end up going with the winner of the national audition after the international audition). There aren't any rules regarding who they may or may not choose, besides those of discrimination (which are very difficult to prove in the usually screened audition process of most orchestras).

I do not know the specifics of the Vancouver Island Symphony. It's quite possible that they do not give players tenure, and that they re-audition any positions they feel like. Either the players who covered those positions in the previous season decided to leave the orchestra, or management decided to "let them go" and re-audition their positions.
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

Also note that the orchestra has an EXTREMELY short concert season. There are only seven performances (8 if you count the 2nd Messiah performance) of which about 4 (or less) the trombones are involved with and probably only 1 (the very last) that includes tuba on the program.

So, assume that's about 20-25 services for trombones (and that's being VERY generous) and pay of $100 per service for principal and $80 for 2nd/bass (again, being VERY generous) that works out to an annual salary of $2000-2500 for principal and $1600-2000 for 2nd/bass... and this is in CDN $$$.

What I'm trying to say is... who cares? I find it surprising that they have an audition at all. I would expect for these musicians to be hired per service w/o any audition process.
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Getzeng50s »

Hey homie... Whoze Ya teacher that sayz u got maaaad skillz yo
Santo Domingo Festival Orchestra
Orchestra of Indian Hill
Cape Ann Symphony
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

tubaboy2OO5 wrote:I was just kidding everybody. I am a huge retarded dork who couldn't play tuba out of a paper bag. I offer you my deepest apologies for being such an idiot and wasting all of your time. I actually have no teacher, don't own a yorkbrunner and I just play on a tristar tuba.
This is one of the funnier things I've read on here. Thanks!
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Getzeng50s »

No you did not. not even funny.
Santo Domingo Festival Orchestra
Orchestra of Indian Hill
Cape Ann Symphony
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Tubaryan12 »

Getzeng50s wrote:No you did not. not even funny.
Dude, that was funny.

fo' shizzle :lol:
Marzan BBb
John Packer JP-274 euphonium
King 607F
Posting and You
windshieldbug

Post by windshieldbug »

Paul W. wrote:didn't orchestras learn that experience isn't everything from carol jantsch?
She had already accumulated some symphony, overseas, and broadcast work by that point- and still wasn't asked to audition until they heard her tape, which wasn't even submitted to them.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Could someone please post the audition repertoire? Thanks.
Andy