USCG Euphonium Audition

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Thomas Maurice Booth
3 valves
3 valves

USCG Euphonium Audition

Post by Thomas Maurice Booth »

Any news from the audition today? Finalists, Winner, etc...

TMB
I post because you're unable to Google.
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

I believe the finals are tomorrow, but no clue who is in the finals.
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

Edit: Steve covered it better below.
Last edited by Adam C. on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubalamb
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalamb »

We had 41 Euphoniums audition today. The prelims and semi-finals were heard Thursday, and the finals will be heard on Friday morning. The list of Semi-Finalists and Finalists is as follows:

Semi-Finalists:
Elisa Harvey
Rob McDaniel
Greg Battista
Hiram Diaz
Jaime Lipton
Bonnie Denton
Matt Maslanka
Lauren Veroni
Aaron Tindell
Tommy Johnson
Mark Carlson
Jeremy McBride
Josh Cullum

Finalists:
Mark Carlson
Josh Cullum
Jaime Lipton
Bonnie Denton

In general, the field was well prepared and we heard some very fine playing today. Good luck to all the finalists tomorrow.
Steve Lamb
U.S. Coast Guard Band
Rhode Island Philharmonic
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

I thought Tommy Johnson was too old to join the military, or is the CG band getting real desperate?
:lol:
Bill
p.s. go Bonnie!
Without inner peace, outer peace is impossible.

Huttl for life
red0radio0head
bugler
bugler

Post by red0radio0head »

Update:

They narrowed down the finalists to three: Jamie, Josh, and Bonnie. After the final audition and interview, they concluded that they would need more time to think about the decision because they felt all were qualified. The finalists will be notified of the decision in a week or so. Doh!

GO JAMIE! :)

Heather McDown
Dean
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dean »

Funny thing is, they did this with the recent horn audition too.

They didnt hire anyone on the spot, instead let it go for a while to discuss it, etc.
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

:roll:

Huttl for life
Michael Woods
bugler
bugler

Post by Michael Woods »

Tommy is a Perantoni student. It tripped me out when I saw his name on the studio roster, as it did a couple other of the guys.

But no, not THE Tommy Johnson.
pgiampi1
bugler
bugler

Post by pgiampi1 »

its too bad they couldn't decide before everyone makes the haul down to DC for the navy audition. oh well. good luck everyone!
phil giampietro
ithaca college '06
university of north texas '10
red0radio0head
bugler
bugler

Post by red0radio0head »

Bonnie Denton was offered the job.
Thomas Maurice Booth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Thomas Maurice Booth »

Thats Great! Now she and her husband can live happily ever after. Its amazing how things work out isn't it?

What the ****.

TMB
I post because you're unable to Google.
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

Go practice.
euphoni
pro musician
pro musician

Post by euphoni »

Something smells fishy...
tubalamb
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubalamb »

Nothing fishy here at all. Bonnie's husband was not involved with any part of the audition once the screen came down.

Bonnie is a hell of a musician, and played a very strong audition. She legitimately won the audition.

By questioning the winner, you are questioning the judgement of every single one of the 10 people involved in finals. (None of them being related to Bonnie.)

Congrats, Bonnie!

Steve Lamb
USCG Band
Tubadork
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Tubadork »

Wow,
Look Bonnie is a great player and a great person, it really sucks to hear that someone would think that. I was with her up at Eastman and she played her butt off, then she won the West Point gig, so we are not talking about someone who isn't capable of doing the job. I also know a buch about what happened in the audition and I can tell you that the only fishy smell is the smell coming off the water there in New London and has nothing to do with the audition.

Did I feel kinda funky about them waiting, sure I did. Do I like the audition process in general, Hell no. Do I disagree with the decision, NOPE, not at all. Does it work out well for Bonnie and Rich, you bet.

Think about this too, Bonnie has played with the Coast Guard band, (and has recorded with them) so she knows how they sound, the style that they are looking for and what they want to hear. She has also been in the Miltary, knows the Military protocol and what is expected of someone in that job. She is good to go, she requires no train up time, they don't have to wait for her to finish up school or move and they know she knows what is required to do the job day in and day out. She is a known quantity.

If all 3 finalists were evenly matched (which is what I would assume if they were having a hard time deciding) and I had to make a decision, would the fact that she is married to another band member make me want her, NO. Bonnie and Rich have a kid, so now they are going to have to get daycare and deal with the logistics of that. Would that fact that she's ready to go to work tomorrow, and can play her butt off, YES!

CONGRATS BONNIE! YOU DESERVE IT AND DON'T DESERVE THIS THREAD!
Bill Pritchard

Huttl for life
Drbuzzz
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Drbuzzz »

CONGRATS KID!

I have known Bonnie forever. She and I grew up in the same small, podunk backwoods town in southern Illinois. While she was a freshman in high school, I'd come home from DePaul and share things that I learned from Gene. Her passion to learn and grow as a musician was never ending. I followed her time at Interlochen with great enthusiasm as well as her undergrad years at Ithaca.

With her work ethic, intelligence, desire and perseverance, I knew she would do well.

The only thing that surprises me? We didn't hear of her winning a similar job sooner in her career!

I'm very proud of you, Bonnie!

- Andy

ps - we should do another hometown recital!
Andrew Miller
Alabama Symphony Orchestra
9811matt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by 9811matt »

Let's not forget that before this audition, Bonnie had already won 2nd place in the Falcone Artist division (1994), mastered the alphorn in "Das Festhaus" for Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Oktoberfest show, and was 1st alternate for the US Marine Band's 1996 euphonium audition...

I'm sure the Ithaca / Eastman / USMA West Point Band history didn't hurt her audition prepatory technique either...

harrumph. Only thing fishy in Connecticut is the seafood.

-Matt Summers
2nd alternate. 1996 US Marine Band euphonium audition.