Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

tubazar wrote:Repertoire list

Wanger, Ride of the Walkries
last B Major theme statement
Watch out folks, that Wanger version of the "Ride" is a real b*tch.
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

So what goes on the tape? The entire list? Will there be an audition after the tapes are listened to, or is the tape the audition? Thanks in advance.
CJBlaha
pro musician
pro musician

Post by CJBlaha »

The tape is the audition
Christopher Blaha, DMA
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
The University of Akron
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

I'm sure this is rude,but, I've never let that stop me before.So, what's the deal here? Why the opening this time of year?
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
CJBlaha
pro musician
pro musician

Post by CJBlaha »

Here's the deal...

I am on sabbatical this year to finish my DMA. Originally, I was going to fly from Michigan to Charleston to play the Masterworks series concerts while subs played the pops/chamber/etc series', but flight prices are absurd right now and I cannot afford to do such a thing.
Due to a number of factors this fall including the many auditions they have already had, administration changes, changes in the original planning, etc... the tuba chair was not forgotten, but rather not dealt with... hence the tape only audition at a weird time of year.
The tape only audition was approved by a vote by the orchestra with the hope that a qualified candidate would be found in time to start in January (Bruckner 4).
At this time, it is my intention to return to Charleston upon completion of my degree, which is why the position has not been advertised as "possibly permanent". So, if you want a good orchestra job for awhile in a warm place, maybe take a semester off of school... here ya go.
If you have questions about this audition, I am more than happy to try to help you.. please message me privately.
Good luck.
Christopher Blaha, DMA
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
The University of Akron
TonyZ
pro musician
pro musician

Post by TonyZ »

Go Chris!!! 'Git 'er done!
Tony Z.
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Post by SirCharls »

Hi there,

You won't be hearing anything for a week or so. I have it on pretty good authority they will be listening to the tapes sometime next week.

Charles D. Ortega
Tuba
(affiliated in some small way with the)
Colorado Springs Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Tuba, Colorado Springs Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Tuba, Apollo Chamber Brass
Tuba-Euphonium Instructor- Colorado State University-Pueblo
------------------------------
https://sircharlso.wixsite.com/apollochamberbrass
Gator
bugler
bugler

Post by Gator »

For all of you who are serious about this audition should see this:

http://www.charleston.net/assets/webPag ... SID=119781

If you wish to become a contender, send a tape. If you get offered the job, think twice.
quinterbourne
4 valves
4 valves

Post by quinterbourne »

The article mentions our local symphony here in Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario Canada.

Before last season, the orchestra had multiple years of surpluses and managed to get their debt down to $580,000 (I forget exactly what it had been at, but it was into the multi-millions). Last season they had a deficit of $600,000... so they started this season with a $1.2 million dollar debt... and were facing a large deficit for this season.

So, back at the beginning of October they held a fundraiser to raise $2.5 million. They (claimed that they) had to reach that goal within one month or the orchestra would fold. All musicians took an immediate 15% pay cut.

They actually reached that goal and are in a decent financial position. They asked for enough such that they would be able to sustain the organization and avoid asking for money again in the near future.

The money raised included $230,000 that had been pledged by the 18 member Symphony Board. They also received donations from 1750 individuals and 46 corporations and local schools. Funding from local municipal governments was also increased.

That being said, they will still be losing money every year. Eventually they will need to ask for money again, and it will be difficult to get it after this major fundraising drive.

Hopefully the Charleston Symphony orchestra can be saved... but sustainability is the problem. Businesses that lose money every single year have no chance... it's not too much different with an orchestra (where the governments don't subsidize them as much as they do in Europe).
sc_curtis
pro musician
pro musician

Post by sc_curtis »

ChuckD wrote:hiya
what is his background?
Charles
Jason and Aubrey are the two current grad students at Rice University. I believe Jason went to Curtis before Rice.
www.thetubaplayer.com

Current stable:
PT6
Meinl Weston 2250
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
YFB621S
YCB621S
Custom BBb Cimbasso
Thomas Maurice Booth
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Thomas Maurice Booth »

Jason is from Midland, Texas. He did most of his undergrad work at CCM studying with Tim Northcut. He then went to Curtis for a year and is now at Rice. He is a terrific player and a great person. I wish him the best in his endeavours.

TMB
I post because you're unable to Google.