Toledo.....????

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Roger Lewis
pro musician
pro musician

Toledo.....????

Post by Roger Lewis »

Please keep us posted on any news from Toledo.

Roger
"The music business is a cruel and shallow trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

What I know...

Post by ThomasP »

There are "groups" every hour.

Someone told me the first round list is Meistersinger, Ride, Hungarian March, and Mahler 1.

The committee anounces who advances from the "group" after all members of the group have been heard.

That's all I have for now.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
Jarrod
bugler
bugler

Post by Jarrod »

First Round:

Meistersinger-opening 27 bars
Hungarian March
Ride
Mahler 1

11 advanced:

Jason Koi
Scott Choate
Alex Lapins
Taka Hagiuara
Dave Saltzman
Kent Eshelman
Seth Cook
Aubrey Foard
James Hicks
Jarrod Robertson
Jeremy Lewis

Round 2:
American in Paris
Fountains
Petroushka (both excerpts)
Sym. Fant- 84-end
Jupiter

3 Advanced
Dave Saltzman
Jeremy Lewis
Aubrey Foard

winner....
james
pro musician
pro musician

yep

Post by james »

Congrats to Dave! He deserves it. Also, congrats to the symphony. This was the most organized and "candidate friendly" audition I have ever taken. Kudos to the Toledo Symphony for running things so well.
-james
Sean Greene
pro musician
pro musician

Dave

Post by Sean Greene »

Way to go, Dave!
David Saltzman is one of the nicest people I have ever met and probably practiced more than any other person I have ever known (even more than Daryl).
He is also a great colleague. I'll be really great getting him back on the mainland where you can afford a gallon of milk....for now.

Sean
Sean Greene
Andreas Eastman Artist/Clinician
http://www.eastmanmusiccompany.com/artists/
Band Director, Robertsville Middle School
DMA, MM - Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison
BM - Univ. of Tennessee-Knoxville
Sousaphone, Big Orange Banditos
musica5341
bugler
bugler

Congrats Dave!!!!

Post by musica5341 »

I wanted to offer my congratulations to a great player who has an incredible work ethic. The Toledo Symphony will have a wonderful addition to the low brass section. Dave, if you read this message, I am really proud of your accomplishment. You were definitely an inspiration for me in grad school.

:)
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

I agree with James, this audition was extremely well-run and well-organized, a very positive experience overall.
bud
bugler
bugler

Post by bud »

Congrats to Dave.

About the audition being so well run: I disagree since as far as I know about 90 tubists who applied were not even heard in any form. The Symphony unfortunately and innocently only scheduled one day for the first round so that they could hear about 60 tubists. After recieving over 150 applications, the symphony realized its mistake and did nothing to correct it. I know that they ended up with a well qualified tuba player, but it's very unfortunate and somewhat cruel that some tubists who were also qualified didn't get the slightest chance. I hope that orchestras with future openings will not make such a mistake and if they do, I hope that they would correct it once they receive the applications.
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

Below is a link to an informative article about issues facing orchestras and candidates in the auditions process. Many orchestras won't spend the time or money to listen to every person who wants to audition.

http://www.polyphonic.org/article.php?id=93
phoenix
3 valves
3 valves

Post by phoenix »

I'm assuming the Honolulu Symphony will have an audition now that Dave left? Any information on this yet?
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

bud wrote:About the audition being so well run: I disagree since as far as I know about 90 tubists who applied were not even heard in any form. The Symphony unfortunately and innocently only scheduled one day for the first round so that they could hear about 60 tubists. After recieving over 150 applications, the symphony realized its mistake and did nothing to correct it. I know that they ended up with a well qualified tuba player, but it's very unfortunate and somewhat cruel that some tubists who were also qualified didn't get the slightest chance. I hope that orchestras with future openings will not make such a mistake and if they do, I hope that they would correct it once they receive the applications.
Welcome to the real world. If you were sifting through applications for any other kind of job, the HR department would, no doubt, most likely have to disqualify an even higher percentage of initial applications, in full compliance with all federal and state mandates, which is why most corporations have an HR organization to begin with. Orchestral jobs ARE based on performance, and few corporations would ever have even as much as 10 interviewees for a single opening.
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Mitch
3 valves
3 valves

Congrats

Post by Mitch »

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations. I was proud to know Dave in grad school and know without reservation that Toledo will greatly benefit from the choice. ALERT THE SEISMOLOGISTS...that's no earthquake, that's just Dave. I heard a rumor that the earthquake in Hawaii a while back wasn't the result of seismic activity, but rather Dave warming up on pedal tones...

As far as objections to the way the audition was run, I would invite anyone to consider that anytime you feel things were done incorrectly it's the result of your expectation that things will be done to your specifications. Only when you have your very own orchestra can you have any control over that. If you find yourself using the word "should've," please consider that you're actually saying that things didn't go according to your prediction of the future. If you can predict the future, call CNN.

For whatever reason, a lot of orchestras, be it for positions for musicians, conductors or administrators, send nothing if you're not a candidate in their eyes. Budgets are tight. It may seem like $39 for stamps for 100 "Thanks, but no thanks," letters wouldn't be too much, but for whatever reason they've decided that step is too much. Personally, I find it simply lacking in decent etiquette, but that's just me. Email doesn't cost a thing.

In any event, if you choose to play the game, you have to accept the rules. You can't jump on the court then cry if you get called for travelling. Doesn't matter if you did - if the ref calls it, go with the call or get out of the game.

Most auditions are run by orchestra members and staff, not professional event planners. Every audition will be different unless every orchestra adopts a universal standard of auditions. So, every audition will be different.

Again, congrats to Dave. Much deserved.
ASTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Congrats

Post by ASTuba »

Mitch wrote:I'd like to add my voice to the chorus of congratulations. I was proud to know Dave in grad school and know without reservation that Toledo will greatly benefit from the choice. ALERT THE SEISMOLOGISTS...that's no earthquake, that's just Dave. I heard a rumor that the earthquake in Hawaii a while back wasn't the result of seismic activity, but rather Dave warming up on pedal tones...

As far as objections to the way the audition was run, I would invite anyone to consider that anytime you feel things were done incorrectly it's the result of your expectation that things will be done to your specifications. Only when you have your very own orchestra can you have any control over that. If you find yourself using the word "should've," please consider that you're actually saying that things didn't go according to your prediction of the future. If you can predict the future, call CNN.

For whatever reason, a lot of orchestras, be it for positions for musicians, conductors or administrators, send nothing if you're not a candidate in their eyes. Budgets are tight. It may seem like $39 for stamps for 100 "Thanks, but no thanks," letters wouldn't be too much, but for whatever reason they've decided that step is too much. Personally, I find it simply lacking in decent etiquette, but that's just me. Email doesn't cost a thing.

In any event, if you choose to play the game, you have to accept the rules. You can't jump on the court then cry if you get called for travelling. Doesn't matter if you did - if the ref calls it, go with the call or get out of the game.

Most auditions are run by orchestra members and staff, not professional event planners. Every audition will be different unless every orchestra adopts a universal standard of auditions. So, every audition will be different.

Again, congrats to Dave. Much deserved.
One of the best posts I've ever seen on TubeNET, great job!