Orchestral Openings..

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
passion4tuba
bugler
bugler

Orchestral Openings..

Post by passion4tuba »

I was talking to my lesson teacher, and he made a point about how there is a (ideally) even cycle of when spots will be avalible in major orchestras...opinions? If you concur with this theory, would it be safe to assume that a highschool student who gets his performance degree thru a good school etc, etc, would have an opening avalible by the time of his/her graduation?

thanks
BB flat Mira 186
Sidey Helleberg
U. of H Cougar Band
Jarrod
bugler
bugler

Post by Jarrod »

It is very reasonable to assume that very close to the time you get your degree that there will be an orchestral opening. At this time, you will have the opportunity, along with 80-100 other people with degrees, to go and play for the audition committee and be considered for the job.
KiwiTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by KiwiTuba »

That's if you pass the CV round. Bear in mind that a lot of these potential jobs may be overseas as well. Start saving for airfares now!
Thomas Allely

Just doin' my job,

sitting up the back,

playing low notes
KiwiTuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by KiwiTuba »

Apologies for being unclear. Where I come from a CV is usually 1-2 pages long, and lists relevant professional experience and qualifications only.
Thomas Allely

Just doin' my job,

sitting up the back,

playing low notes
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

The world is a VERY big place. I knew trombonists that went to South America, but there's ALWAYS something open, somewhere...
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
Posaune2
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Orchestral Openings..

Post by Posaune2 »

passion4tuba wrote:I was talking to my lesson teacher, and he made a point about how there is a (ideally) even cycle of when spots will be avalible in major orchestras...opinions? If you concur with this theory, would it be safe to assume that a highschool student who gets his performance degree thru a good school etc, etc, would have an opening avalible by the time of his/her graduation?

thanks
When you look at the comparatively huge number of openings over the past 5 years, it is very possible that we are in for a fairly protracted dry spell. In particular, when you look at the top 5 - 10 orchestras in the US, it is very possible that the next person to get a tuba job in one of those orchestras hasn't even been born yet, and more than likely that they haven't taken up the tuba yet.

Eric Carlson
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Orchestral Openings..

Post by Matt Good »

When you look at the comparatively huge number of openings over the past 5 years, it is very possible that we are in for a fairly protracted dry spell. In particular, when you look at the top 5 - 10 orchestras in the US, it is very possible that the next person to get a tuba job in one of those orchestras hasn't even been born yet, and more than likely that they haven't taken up the tuba yet.

Eric Carlson
And that is IF there are any orchestras that will still exist in 25 years.

-Matt
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

One person at a time. There's no other way to "save" classical music. We'll never, ever again have the appeal or that cooporation with the public that exsisted in the 19th century. Orchestral/classical music will never make money on the same level with current "pop" music, but there'll be a market. We just need to create our audience one person at a time. It's a hell of a lot better than just sitting around complaining.
Pure Sound
bugler
bugler

Post by Pure Sound »

AMEN!!!