Orchestral Openings

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
passion4tuba
bugler
bugler

Orchestral Openings

Post by passion4tuba »

I see that there are fairly young tuba players out there in Orchestrestral (Jason Wallace, Matt Good, Jim Ramscal, etc.)..however, as an aspiring professional player, I am curious as to the processes of a tubist wishing to get a decent paying job (one that can pay the bills at least) in an orchestra. Of course being talented on your horn is a factor, and I have seen Doc make a post about a**holes not faring too long or well in orchestras, however what else is there?There are alot more Orchrstras than the DWS and the DSO, and I don't mind traveling anywhere that offers a job. I truly do not wish to do anything else but play tuba, however I have been told by many that those decent to well paying jobs are few and far between, but then again I have been told that I have "the chops" and potential to play at that level. Can anyone offer a bit of clarity, please?

Thanks for the time,
BB flat Mira 186
Sidey Helleberg
U. of H Cougar Band
Biggs
5 valves
5 valves

yo

Post by Biggs »

Why'd you give up on your dream of being an 8-track repairman?

Or a syndicated columnist. :roll:
passion4tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by passion4tuba »

"Why'd you give up on your dream of being an 8-track repairman?

Or a syndicated columnist. "-Biggs

What are you saying?
BB flat Mira 186
Sidey Helleberg
U. of H Cougar Band
chevy68chv
bugler
bugler

Post by chevy68chv »

Both of them are jobs that have disappeared...
Meinl Weston 2155
Miraphone 181
EQueg
pro musician
pro musician

Post by EQueg »

if you have your heart set on being a tubist as opposed to being single minded about the orchestral part there are quite a few enterprising individuals that have created their own niche by starting groups such as sotto voce, or making a career as soloist although it could certainly be argued that it is as difficult or more so to be successful in that way. the military is another very good option for a young player to develop chops while making a pay check, you could as an example if you are young enough join at 18 play for a full 20 years get out with retirment benfits at the tender age of 38 and embark on that orchestral career for at least another 20. if orchestra is your only option your choices are pretty limited especially considering that quite a few of the really well paying jobs have recently changed hands and in most cases gone to quite young tuba players who could potentially stay where they are at for quite some time. meaning that the smaller regional orchestras may have a more limited turnover as well. that being said whatever your choice might end up being be sure to put yourself in the best position you can to succeed. by that i mean study with the very best players that you can possibly find and play any where and every where you can for pay or not. your performing experience will be the biggest thing you can rely on when you are in front of a blank screen playing for an audition commitee. and practice every minute that you are not performing. hope this helps a little. good luck whatever your choice might be.
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

Your life plan needs to include not only developing those chops, but learning the wide panoply of existing music, how that music is approached normaly, and how to make the adjustments as requested if you are driven to follow this discipline.

Strong chops alone won't cut it. :shock:
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?