American Wind Symphony Orchestra

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Zade
bugler
bugler

Post by Zade »

The ensemble performs repertoire written for its instrumentation(there is no saxophone or euphonium) This ensemble commissioned over 300 works available through C.F. Peters Publishing.

Zade
hnoyes
bugler
bugler

Post by hnoyes »

And to add to the previous post, if you plan on auditioning, you will sight read from one of those compositions - good luck! Its not what you're used to, and you get the bonus of having the director stand over your shoulder and comment on almost every note/measure. He wants to see what he can get out of you, thats his style. It is not a normal audition by any stretch of the imagination. I have heard horror stories and wonderful stories from those who have gone and played - take the audition, win, and then make a decision. You'll know after your audition if you want to spend the summer with him on a small confined barge - trust me - you'll know - each person is different, some will love it, others chose other opportunities, or choose to "jump ship!"
Heather Noyes Richter
Principal Tuba
Macon Symphony Orchestra
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

run. run as fast as you can away from this group. don't look back. :shock: it was the worst musical experience of my life. BTW, I would likely need a beer to recant any stories I may have. The memories are being housed in the PTSD portion of my brain.

I did meet my husband there but that was the only reason I stayed the entire season. It took me about 2-3 years to recover physically and then a bit longer to love music again.
--farah chisham
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

MoonUnit wrote:I did meet my husband there... it took me about 2-3 years to recover physically and then a bit longer to love music again.
Wow! Just from meeting Sean!? :shock: :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

windshieldbug wrote:
MoonUnit wrote:I did meet my husband there... it took me about 2-3 years to recover physically and then a bit longer to love music again.
My secret is out.
sean chisham
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

windshieldbug wrote:
gosh, no, My writing skills need work.

The barge band messed up me physically (my face was shot from all of the misuse) and I was mentally sick of music for a bit.

Sean is the keeper.
--farah chisham
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

MoonUnit wrote:
windshieldbug wrote:
gosh, no, My writing skills need work.

The barge band messed up me physically (my face was shot from all of the misuse) and I was mentally sick of music for a bit.

Sean is the keeper.
You betcha. Look at that face! Image You may now kiss the bride.

bud
bugler
bugler

awso

Post by bud »

I got the contract, Zade. I think I'll do it. I'm sure it'll be a challenge to not have a home for a couple months, but I'm itching for some performance experience and I could stand to learn a little patience and acceptance.
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

You are looking for acceptance from AWSO? :shock: good luck with that.
--farah chisham
Zade
bugler
bugler

Post by Zade »

Congrats Bud. Let me know what you think of it

Zade
CJBlaha
pro musician
pro musician

Post by CJBlaha »

It's a shame that so many people have negative impressions of this group. I will say again, I did it twice and loved it both times.
Christopher Blaha, DMA
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
The University of Akron
BVD Press
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by BVD Press »

After reading all of the posts, I am stilled confused.

Some people liked and some did not. How about "why" on each side? It appears that some didn't like because of the management, but that is about I got from the posts. Maybe some harder opinions will someone make a decision in the future.

I have heard some good things, but I only know a few people who did the tours.

Chris: How is Charleston?
mbeastep
pro musician
pro musician

AWSO

Post by mbeastep »

My opportunity to play with the group came in 1974. I had played a very good audition a year before--a day after my senior recital at North Texas State--but hadn't gotten hired that year. In the meantime I had moved to Chicago to study with Mr. Jacobs and had spent September to April or May living in inexpensive housing and commuting to downtown to work in my bookstore job, take lessons and hear concerts.

After the dirt of Chicago (my first experience of big-city life) I found the beauty of those western Pennsylvania river towns to be a delight. The barge is equipped with a really good sound reinforcement system that makes it audible without turning it into a rock concert. It was possible to play a long concert without forcing--sort of like in a brass band. Both the musicians and the music were good. There were great opportunities, like meeting Richard Rodney Bennett and being dumped for four days in New York City in between segments of the season.

For me these things outweighed the fact that R. A. Boudreau was a jerk and that the working conditions were bad. The group divided up into four quintets, each of which played both publicity concerts and other, more organized concerts. These groups were also transported two to a van, which meant that we saw each other way too much during the season. Some people did have chop problems, but the amount of playing was good for me. Besides often threatening to have people "pack their bags' to go home, Mr. Boudreau liked to test people, ala Fritz Reiner, making them play things over more times than seemed necessary. He also hated frisbees (which seemed like healthy exercise to me) and went on several rants about how his buddies Joey Novotny and Herbie Wekselblatt never wasted time with such frivolous things. There were lots of rumors about female musicians being singled out for special attention offstage, but I never really knew the truth about this.

I'm sure much has changed since I was in this group, and probably much has stayed the same. I bet RAB still doesn't like the word "band," for instance. I had some deeply unpleasant experiences while playing that season but still felt that the summer was of great professional and emotional value to me.

Michael Eastep
CJBlaha
pro musician
pro musician

Post by CJBlaha »

BVD Press wrote:After reading all of the posts, I am stilled confused.

Some people liked and some did not. How about "why" on each side? It appears that some didn't like because of the management, but that is about I got from the posts. Maybe some harder opinions will someone make a decision in the future.

I have heard some good things, but I only know a few people who did the tours.

Chris: How is Charleston?

Hi Bryan, I hope you are well. Give my best to your wife and family.
I think you were still the studio TA when I went to AWSO the 1st time in 1998 (second was in 2003). I really enjoyed the challenge of being tested on my parts in front of people, because I made a point to always be prepared. The very first time he tested me, he said I sounded like a cow... so I practiced my butt off and proved him wrong.
I also really enjoyed developing my sight reading as far as it could go both summers. Nothing raises your expectations like seeing Entry of the Gladiators for the 1st time in a concert.
The music was interesting, the people were excellent (as were the host families), the rehearsals were hard, but at least I was playing my tuba all day and not flipping burgers.
If Mr. Boudreau's style of criticism seems brash, you may have missed the fact that he is usually smiling or laughing as he gives out grief. It's good to be in an environment in which you are not coddled... the real world isn't half as easy as school.

Charleston is doing very well. I was on sabbatical this past year to finish my DMA course work and in that time, they have corrected the budget deficit, improved fundraising, improved working conditions and salaries and developed better programming. I'm looking forward to the new season.
Christopher Blaha, DMA
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
The University of Akron