American Wind Symphony Orchestra

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Zade
bugler
bugler

Post by Zade »

Has anyone heard if they received a contract for the 2007 season?

Thank You
Zade
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Run away. Not a job I would wish on my worst of worst enemies.
sean chisham
Zade
bugler
bugler

Post by Zade »

Yes it is under the same direction: Robert Austin Boudreau
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

This is the group that plays on the barge, right?

Do they still do that?
Zade
bugler
bugler

Post by Zade »

Yes, this is the group that plays on the barge and yes they still play on the barge.
Dave Roberts
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dave Roberts »

I'm with Sean on this...I played the barge about a 100 years ago...wasn't the best experience I had. Personnel support sucked big time.
joebob
bugler
bugler

Post by joebob »

I never did this gig but I've talked to a number of people who did and a lot of them were negative about the working conditions, although many said that musically the band was pretty good. One person I know played with this group on a European tour - the working/touring conditions weren't great but going to Europe was really cool and there were a lot of great players in the band. Here's a question for those that have done this gig: Was it musically good at all? Can a young inexperienced player gain any valuable musical experience from this gig? If a college student has limited options for summer experience would you still recommend against this gig? (ie the other choice is working a non musical job)
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

joebob wrote:I never did this gig but I've talked to a number of people who did and a lot of them were negative about the working conditions, although many said that musically the band was pretty good. One person I know played with this group on a European tour - the working/touring conditions weren't great but going to Europe was really cool and there were a lot of great players in the band. Here's a question for those that have done this gig: Was it musically good at all? Can a young inexperienced player gain any valuable musical experience from this gig? If a college student has limited options for summer experience would you still recommend against this gig? (ie the other choice is working a non musical job)
Again, without reservation, I would not wish this job on my absolute worst bitter enemy. Run away from it.
sean chisham
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MikeMason »

sounds like some interesting stories here.care to tell a few?
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with 16’’ bell,with blokepiece symphony
Eastman 6/4 with blokepiece symphony/profundo
CJBlaha
pro musician
pro musician

Post by CJBlaha »

I did it twice and really enjoyed it.
Christopher Blaha, DMA
Assoc. Professor of Tuba & Euphonium
The University of Akron
Adam C.
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Adam C. »

I seem to remember hearing a story about a tubist going overboard with his horn. Not sure if there's any truth to that :lol:
dwaskew
pro musician
pro musician

Post by dwaskew »

There is definite truth to the story. Great story over several beers...... former student of mine :roll:

d.askew
Zade
bugler
bugler

Post by Zade »

The ensemble performs repertoire written for its instrumentation(there is no saxophone or euphonium) This ensemble commissioned over 300 works available through C.F. Peters Publishing.

Zade
hnoyes
bugler
bugler

Post by hnoyes »

And to add to the previous post, if you plan on auditioning, you will sight read from one of those compositions - good luck! Its not what you're used to, and you get the bonus of having the director stand over your shoulder and comment on almost every note/measure. He wants to see what he can get out of you, thats his style. It is not a normal audition by any stretch of the imagination. I have heard horror stories and wonderful stories from those who have gone and played - take the audition, win, and then make a decision. You'll know after your audition if you want to spend the summer with him on a small confined barge - trust me - you'll know - each person is different, some will love it, others chose other opportunities, or choose to "jump ship!"
Heather Noyes Richter
Principal Tuba
Macon Symphony Orchestra
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

run. run as fast as you can away from this group. don't look back. :shock: it was the worst musical experience of my life. BTW, I would likely need a beer to recant any stories I may have. The memories are being housed in the PTSD portion of my brain.

I did meet my husband there but that was the only reason I stayed the entire season. It took me about 2-3 years to recover physically and then a bit longer to love music again.
--farah chisham
windshieldbug
Once got the "hand" as a cue
Once got the "hand" as a cue

Post by windshieldbug »

MoonUnit wrote:I did meet my husband there... it took me about 2-3 years to recover physically and then a bit longer to love music again.
Wow! Just from meeting Sean!? :shock: :D
Instead of talking to your plants, if you yelled at them would they still grow, but only to be troubled and insecure?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

windshieldbug wrote:
MoonUnit wrote:I did meet my husband there... it took me about 2-3 years to recover physically and then a bit longer to love music again.
My secret is out.
sean chisham
FarahShazam
4 valves
4 valves

Post by FarahShazam »

windshieldbug wrote:
gosh, no, My writing skills need work.

The barge band messed up me physically (my face was shot from all of the misuse) and I was mentally sick of music for a bit.

Sean is the keeper.
--farah chisham
Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Post by Tom Holtz »

MoonUnit wrote:
windshieldbug wrote:
gosh, no, My writing skills need work.

The barge band messed up me physically (my face was shot from all of the misuse) and I was mentally sick of music for a bit.

Sean is the keeper.
You betcha. Look at that face! Image You may now kiss the bride.

bud
bugler
bugler

awso

Post by bud »

I got the contract, Zade. I think I'll do it. I'm sure it'll be a challenge to not have a home for a couple months, but I'm itching for some performance experience and I could stand to learn a little patience and acceptance.