Army Field Band Tour Coordinator

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Army Field Band Tour Coordinator

Post by Scott C »

Not all jobs are performing jobs. Thought I'd let people know of a position opening up for tour coordinator. Jason Stephens is currently a tour coordinator/educational coordinator for the band (and a tuba player!). If you have any questions or need more information, feel free to contact me (pm)

sc

http://www.armyfieldband.com/pages/vacancy/ops.html

Resume deadline: August 10, 2007

THE UNITED STATES ARMY FIELD BAND
is the Department of the Army's premier touring musical representative. The Field Band has appeared in all fifty states and in more than thirty countries on four continents. The organization's four performing components, the Concert Band, the Soldiers' Chorus, the Jazz Ambassadors, and the Volunteers, each travel over 100 days annually. Tours include formal public concerts, school assemblies, educational outreach programs, festivals, and radio and television appearances.

QUALIFICATIONS:
Must be able to travel 100-120 days annually and have no limitations on travel outside of the United States
Must possess leadership, managerial and interpersonal relationship skills
Must have the ability to set priorities and allocate time accordingly
Must have the ability to solve problems and apply past experience to unique situations
Must have typing skills and be comfortable with the Microsoft Office suite of programs to include Access
Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills
Must demonstrate sound judgment, initiative, and the ability to work without supervision
Must be able to work as a team with co-workers and travel partners
Must be able to perform on primary instrument on an as needed basis
Must have a valid state driver's license
Ability to maintain Army height/weight standards
Operations experience is preferred

SALARY:
$42,429-$49,978 (Army rank of Staff Sergeant)

JOB DESCRIPTION:
Serve as a member of an advance booking team for one of the Field Band's performing components. Assist in scheduling, booking, and advancing all details of the component's travel, including concert logistics, hotel accommodations, convoy routing, and preparation of related paperwork. Coordinate with unit resource manager to work within the budget and federal per diem rates. Other duties as assigned. This position requires a minimum 3-year enlistment.

BENEFITS:
MOS Change to 42S and promotion to Staff Sergeant (if applicable)
Permanent assignment to The U.S. Army Field Band

AUDITION PROCESS:
Submit a letter of application by Friday, August 10, 2007, expressing interest in this position and highlighting personal qualifications. Enclose a current resume, ERB, official photograph, and a letter from your unit commander recommending you for the position and agreeing to release you, if offered the position. Final candidates screened from applications will be invited to travel to Fort Meade, Maryland, for a personal interview. Travel expenses will be paid by The United States Army Field Band. Applicants must be eligible for permanent change of station.

Attn: Auditions
The U.S. Army Field Band
4214 Field Band Drive
Fort Meade, MD 20755-5330
Phone: (301) 677-5781 or 6231

FieldBand.Auditions@us.army.mil
Evil Ronnie
bugler
bugler

Post by Evil Ronnie »

Hi Scott,

I'm a former member of the band, bass trombone '73-'79. Back in the old days, our tour coordinators were pretty senior NCO's, E8 and E9 usually, strictly admin types who were former band and chorus members. I find it interesting that they're now filling these slots with entry level personnel. Seems to me that you'd want someone who has lived a few dozen or more of those seven and eight week tours, playing two gigs a day with long travel times, living out of a suitcase, going sometimes a few weeks without a day off, doing the advance work and booking those tours.

I had a blast in the band. Played under Col. Hal Gibson, Major Samuel J. Fricano (former Eastman Wind Ensemble and Army Field Band solo cornet) and then Captain (Col. retired) Jack Grogan.

Ah, the good old days.

Tubenetters FYI: former Army Field Band tuba players include Harvey Phillips, Bob Tucci, and Ron Bishop.

:twisted:
TubaRay
6 valves
6 valves

Post by TubaRay »

Evil Ronnie wrote: Ah, the good old days.

Tubenetters FYI: former Army Field Band tuba players include Harvey Phillips, Bob Tucci, and Ron Bishop.
And, apparently, Evil Ronnie.
Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Tx.
Evil Ronnie
bugler
bugler

Post by Evil Ronnie »

Hi Ray,

The Army Field Band has always had a fine tuba section, but I am not one of them. I played bass trombone with the band for six years.

Is Tim Loehr still down in San Antonio? Tim spent seventeen or more years with the band.

By the way, I was fortunate to be able to attend the band's sixtieth anniversary celebration last summer, and I was one of the lucky old farts (retirees and former members) who was able to sit in with the band (onstage at The Kennedy Center in DC) for the last five selections on the program.

What a thrill it was for me to be able to once again play Sousa's Invincible Eagle with such a fine band. And to play The Stars and Stripes Forever under my old commanding officer was also an unforgettable experience for me.

Scott, the band sounds better than ever these days. I think the level of musicianship is also better than ever.

bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

(If it's not out of line to ask...) where is Jason moving on to?
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

not jason

Post by Scott C »

Bort:

No. No, No!
Jason is staying put!!!!
I don't believe he has any plans to change jobs in the near future...
A senior guy is leaving, retiring after 20+years in the service

sc
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Aah, okay. I knew there was a simple explanation.
J Stowe
bugler
bugler

Post by J Stowe »

This would be such an awesome job. I wish I were a lil older and had experience. The Army life is a pretty fun one.
Go Dawgs!
Woo Pig!
Go Ducks!