Colorado Springs?

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

They had an audition? When was it? I just moved to the Texas Panhandle and could have gone if I had known about it. Wasn't there an audition there not too long ago? What happened to that guy?
Dan Castillo
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Castillo »

Well Mr. "BrassHombre"....that's a pretty detailed report so I can only assume you spoke to Charlie. Just to fill in one blank though....the "guy from Santa Fe" was Justin Crider who just finished his master's at New Mexico with Richard White.
Scott Sutherland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott Sutherland »

anonymous4 wrote:They had an audition? When was it? I just moved to the Texas Panhandle and could have gone if I had known about it. Wasn't there an audition there not too long ago? What happened to that guy?
BrassHombre was right. I played for a season with Colorado Springs, received tenure, and then took a sabbatical for one year. My wife and I decided that a move from LA to Colorado was not best for our family and we instead moved to San Diego where I have been freelancing, teaching and working with Presidio Brass.

Congrats, Charlie! Everyone I have been talking to in the orchestra is very happy to see you in the position and excited for the future. Good luck!
Scott Sutherland
Artist Teacher of Tuba and Euphonium
University of Redlands
Eastman Music Company Artist and Clinician
https://www.youtube.com/c/scottsutherlandmusic" target="_blank
https://www.scottsutherlandmusic.com" target="_blank
Todd S. Malicoate
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Todd S. Malicoate »

Congrats to Charlie Ortega...who I remember recently won the Fort Collins job as well.

If you read this, Charlie, I wonder if you would discuss holding both gigs (assuming that's what you're going to do) at the same time...I (and many other Tubenetters, I'm sure) would be interested in the various problems and rewards you encounter by playing in two symphonies in the same season.

Again, congratulations on your recent successes!!!
SirCharls
pro musician
pro musician

Post by SirCharls »

Greetings all!

Yes, I will be staying in both positions. The number 1 factor I now have to deal with...GAS! No, not the Natural Gas, but just trying to commute from the Springs and Fort Collins from somewhere in the middle. That is going to be the biggest challenge. Maybe I should outfit a moped with a trailer and just speed up and down I-25...

In all seriousness, it shouldn't be too bad. I have been in good contact with the personnel managers of both orchestras and the schedules actually merge pretty well together. There should really only be a couple of conflicts. For those of you who do not know, the principal trombonist with the Colorado Springs Philharmonic is also the principal trombone with Fort Collins. It should be an interesting time!

It really comes down to contract negotiations. Each orchestra has their own picadillos when it comes to their contract, and I will have to evaluate both to make sure I can commit to all the dates, and if not, be able to have the wiggle room to manuever if need be.

On the plus side, check out the CSPO season...
in one concert...
Adams - Short Ride on a Fast Machine
Respighi - Fountains of Rome :twisted:
Berlioz - Symphonie Fantastique :evil:

Then on the Fort Collins side, we have Tchaikovsky 4 and on another concert, Rite of Spring 8)

If anyone from this board ever comes to a concert, stop by and say hi. Thanks to everyone who has wished me well. Now to practice...
Principal Tuba, Colorado Springs Philharmonic Orchestra
Principal Tuba, Apollo Chamber Brass
Tuba-Euphonium Instructor- Colorado State University-Pueblo
------------------------------
https://sircharlso.wixsite.com/apollochamberbrass
eupher61
6 valves
6 valves

Post by eupher61 »

That's GREAT, Charlie!

Gary Adams used to/does (been too long, anyone know what's up with him?) have a similar situation with Canton OH, Erie PA, and maybe Youngstown (?) yes, 3 orchestra gigs, and about 150 at the outer reaches. Plus the teaching he was doing...

May I suggest a Prius?

Best of luck, congrats, and all that. Make us all proud!
steve