Glenn Gould School of Music Auditions for Tuba

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

The Glenn Gould School of Music will be holding auditions for tuba in early 2008. The GGS is a professional studies program with a strong orchestral orientation, based in the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto, Canada. The GGS accepts only enough players for one symphony orchestra, and as such, there is only one position for tuba. The program offers a tremendous amount of performing opportunties, and is perfect for the advanced player looking to gain experience and refine their abilities. Auditions are open to both graduate and undergraduate candidates.

In addition to their regular studies, students are offered masterclasses with renowned visiting brass artists. In recent years these have included: Alan Baer, David Kirk, Wes Jacobs, Randy Hawes, Joe Alessi, John Kitzman, James Markey, Douglas Wright, Murray Crewe and Pete Sullivan. This year’s tuba masterclass will be with Tony Kniffen.

Every diploma and degree student enrolled in The Glenn Gould School will receive financial aid, making it significantly less of a financial burden when compared to the tuition costs of other prominent music schools.

Further information and applications can be obtained through the links below. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at sasha.johnson@mcgill.ca should you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
Sasha Johnson

http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx? ... amOverview
http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=GGSHowApply
http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx? ... acultyBios
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

I had forgotten to mention the brand new facilities of the Glenn Gould School, including practice and studio space and a new 1140-seat concert hall. Please see the link below for details.
-Sasha Johnson
http://www.rcmusic.ca/ContentPage.aspx?name=PLC
Brendan Bohnhorst
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Brendan Bohnhorst »

I just wanted to take a second and post about the GGS and the Royal Conservatory of Music. This is a top rate Conservatory that operates a little under the radar for most of us. I only knew about it because my Grandmother, and great Grandfather are Canadian and studied at RCM. I have also done some playing with many different students at this school, and they all played very strong. Not to mention that the new facilities are going to be AMAZING!

While I was at McGill I was lucky enough to get to spend a lot of time taking lessons from Sasha Johnson. He offers more than just showing up for an hour a week, like you get at some other schools. I feel like I personally got a lot out of his teaching, and his aproach. Not to mention that he does bring in some really great guest artists for masterclasses.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me and ask. See you guys at the audition!

Brendan Bohnhorst
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Hello,

Gord Wolfe, the trombone instructor at the Glenn Gould School, has asked me to let people know that in addition to the tuba opening, there will now also be an opening for tenor trombone for next year. Interested candidates should please see my first post above for the links and contact information.

Thanks,
Sasha Johnson
Sasha Johnson
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Sasha Johnson »

Lastly, several people have contacted me regarding the December 1 deadline, and whether they can submit late applications. This deadline is very flexible, and is set for administrative purposes only. Anyone interested applying should feel free to do so, and should feel free to contact me if they have any questions. We are interested in hearing all qualified candidates.