ITEA Midwest Competitions

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

ITEA Midwest Competitions

Post by Mike Forbes »

Greetings all,

Here is the information regarding the competitions that will be held at the ITEA Midwest Regional Tuba/Euphonium Conference at Illinois State University (Bloomington-Normal, IL) on Feb. 17-19, 2005.

I believe this is the only regional that will have competitions with prize money, and since there hasn't been a local competition for a while (besides Falcone), I hope there is a lot of interest in this. These competitions are open to non-professional tuba and euphonium players of all ages and from any nationality. There will be a tuba/euphonium quartet competition judged by the Sotto Voce Quartet, an interactive Mock Orchestral Tuba Audition Competition (realistically judged by principal orchestral players who DO NOT play the tuba) and an interactive Mock Military Band Euphonium Audition Competition (judged by current and former D.C. Military Bandsmen). Details about the competition, including repertoire, prizes, and application fees are listed below.

Also, as more information becomes available (suggested hotels, restaurants, etc.) it will be posted via a link on the Illinois State School of Music webpage: http://www.arts.ilstu.edu/music/

I look forward to seeing you all at MWRTEC!!

Mike Forbes
MWRTEC Conference Host

MWRTEC COMPETITION INFORMATION

All rounds will take place live at MWRTEC. Applicants must have an active membership of ITEA at the time of the competition (Feb. 17-19, 2005). Competitors must submit a registration fee ($25 for ITEA members) along with a competition fee ($25 per mock audition participant or $40 per quartet) no later than December 30th, 2004 to the address below. Make your check or money order payable to “ISU School of Musicâ€
CrappyEuph
3 valves
3 valves

Can I go to more than one RITEC?

Post by CrappyEuph »

The mock euphonium audition sounds like an opportunity too good to pass up. Are players permitted to compete at an ITEC conference outside of their region? I'm in Texas so I'll be going to Texas Tech in January, but I'd like to go to MWRTEC as well.

- Jamie
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

All invited to participate

Post by Mike Forbes »

Jamie--thanks for your question....certainly, ALL folks from other ITEA regions are invited to participate in the competitions. I tried to summarize that with my statement "Non-Professional players from any age and nationality may apply."

Hope to see you there!

Mike[/quote]
KevinYoung
pro musician
pro musician

Post by KevinYoung »

Age Limit? Just curious.

- Kevin
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Mike Forbes »

"Non-Professional players of any AGE and nationality."

Hope you can make it.

Thanks,
Mike
KevinYoung
pro musician
pro musician

Post by KevinYoung »

Just wanted to make sure that I read it correctly.

Thanks,
Kevin
KevinYoung
pro musician
pro musician

Post by KevinYoung »

Just wanted to make sure that I read it correctly.

Thanks,
Kevin
CrappyEuph
3 valves
3 valves

Post by CrappyEuph »

How about this one:

Does "any combination of tubas and euphoniums" mean that I can bring a euphonium quartet, or do groups have to include both instruments?
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Euphonium Quartet

Post by Mike Forbes »

I think you will find that some of the repertoire makes a euphonium quartet prohibitive. I wouldn't say the same for a 4-tuba quartet...I heard some 4 tuba quartets in Budapest play some of my stuff written specifically for 2 euphs and 2 tubas that truly blew my mind. Cosmic Voyage in particular has a bit of a beasty 2nd tuba part--but if one were to feel 4 euphs could do it--it's perfectly allowable. I know already of one quartet of 3 euphs and 1 tuba that are entering the competition. I also know of a quartet with 1 euph. and 3 tubas that are intending to attend.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Sat. Morning Masterclass

Post by Mike Forbes »

The winner and runner-up (and maybe a third player) from the Mock Orchestral Tuba Competition (held on Friday, Feb. 18th,. 2005) will perform for Gene on Saturday. To be eligible to perform on the Sat. Morning masterclass you will have to participate in the Mock Orchestral Tuba Competition (and be selected as the winner or runner-up).

Hope this answers your question...I'm not sure if this was what you were getting at.

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Mike Forbes »

Ahhh...I thought I was missing your question!

Good question--the masterclass is open to all registered guests. There will be a $35 registration fee for the whole conference ($25 for itea members) (Feb. 17-19, 2005). But there will also be a $15 per day fee (for non-ITEA and ITEA members alike) if you wish to just attend on just Sat. Feb. 19th (or just Friday, Feb. 18th). I'll post a schedule of events here as soon as I solidify everything.

Gene will also be performing a recital on Friday night. For this event there will be a "concert fee" of $5 if you only wish to attend an evening concert instead of the whole day's events. The Gene Pokorny Masterclass will be part of the "day events" which would fit the $15 cost as stated above.

Thanks for your question.

Mike
euphoni
pro musician
pro musician

Post by euphoni »

Hey Mike, will there be any solo competitions?

-Will-
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Solo Competitions

Post by Mike Forbes »

Sorry, Will, no. The Mock Orchestral and Military Band auditions plus the the quartet competition is enough to try and sponsor financially. Wish I could do more....
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Thanks!

Post by Mike Forbes »

Paul,

I'm just so happy that there's been so much interest in this! I feel there's been a bit of a void along the lines of competitions for tuba quartet and mock auditions lately and I wanted to remedy that. I think the "Interactive" Mock auditions will be especially meaningful to not just the auditionees, but any registrant that comes to watch as well.

Hope to see you there,
Mike
J.Harris
bugler
bugler

Post by J.Harris »

Mr. Forbes,
Question- where can I get an ITEA membership application now that the ITEA website is now only accesible to current ITEA members? Thanks in advance. Jason Harris
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Iteaonline.org

Post by Mike Forbes »

Jason,

I believe you can download the pdf application from ITEA's hompage (midway down on the left: "JOIN ITEA" link). Here' the link:

http://www.iteaonline.org

...but if this fails, there may be an application form in the Journal that may exist at your local college of music library....I think your best bet is the iteaonline website.

Best wishes,
Mike
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Quartet Competition

Post by Mike Forbes »

Hello again,

It appears that Bernel Music is getting out of the distribution business and strictly doing the publishing business. Therefore, you will not be able to get the ITEA Midwest Quartet Competition music there at Bernel.

Sotto Voce is launching a new publishing business to deal with this issue, it will be called: TUBAQUARTET.COM (our website). It is our hope that eventually this will be your one-stop shop for quartet music.

In the near future, however, you will be able to purchase the following FINAL ROUND charts for the quartet competition on our website www.tubaquartet.com:

The Village Choir, arr. Paul Walton (of Tubalaté)
Refractions, by Patrick Schulz

Those charts should be up and available in a few weeks--I'll post another brief note when they go up. You will be able to buy them with your credit card through PayPal.

Also, the remaining piece for the Final Round: English Madrigal Suite, arr. yours truly: will be up on the the www.tubaeuphoniumpress.com site VERY soon. I'll post when it's officially up.

Sorry for the delay in getting these charts--but this competition is doing what one hopes all competitions do: increase the literature with new things!! ENJOY!!

I'll keep you posted,
Mike
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

TubaQuartet.com

Post by Mike Forbes »

GREETINGS ALL!

I'm very proud to announce that all the final round music is now available to purchase online!!

TUBAQUARTET.COM is ready to accept payment (via PayPal or Credit Card) for the ITEA Midwest Regional Tuba/Euphonium Conference (MWRTEC) quartet competition music (final round).

Order your copy of: "REFRACTIONS" by Patrick Schulz & "THE VILLAGE CHOIR" by Borodin, arr. Walton HERE:

http://www.tubaquartet.com/sheetmusic.html

The other final round selection is availble from tuba-euphonium press. Follow the link below down to:

FORBES, English Madrigal Suite for tuba/euph. quartet.

http://www.tubaeuphoniumpress.com/c513.html

Thanks, and good luck to all participating tuba/euphonium quartets. Remember, you DO NOT have to be from the Midwest to participate in this competition or regional conference!

MWRTEC Conference Website:

http://www.ilstu.edu/%7Emwdoher/MWRTEC/

Please email me with any problems with obtaining any music for this conference's competitions.

Good luck to all!!

Regards,
Mike