Scott Devereaux Enters Curtis Institute of Music

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Scott Devereaux Enters Curtis Institute of Music

Post by Steve Marcus »

This may be "old news" since Scott has been there since September. But this story appeared in today's Romeo Observer (Romeo, MI):
Scott Devereaux, a twenty-two-year-old tuba player from Washington, Mich., entered Philadelphia's prestigious Curtis Institute of Music in September.
Curtis provides full-tuition scholarships to all of its students and an education uniquely tailored to the individual, with unusually frequent performance opportunities and personalized attention from a celebrated faculty.
Devereaux studies with Carol Jantsch, principal of the Philadelphia Orchestra, and Paul Krzywicki, former principal of the orchestra, and he holds the Bong S. Lee Fellowship.
Prior to entering Curtis, Mr. Devereaux earned a bachelor of music in tuba performance from the University of Michigan, where he studied with Fritz Kaenzig. He has also studied with Wesley Jacobs, principal tuba of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
Devereaux has performed as a soloist with the Ann Arbor Concert Band and Arbor Brass Choir. He has played with the South Bend Symphony Orchestra, Dearborn Symphony, and Pine Mountain Music Festival Symphony and Opera Orchestra, as well as substituted for the Detroit Symphony Orchestra.
Devereaux was a finalist in the University of Michigan Concerto Competition and won the Leonard Falcone International Euphonium and Tuba Competition (2006) and the Bohemians Club Concerto Competition (2008).
The Curtis Institute of Music educates and trains exceptionally gifted young musicians for careers as performing artists on the highest professional level. The school's distinctive "learn by doing" approach to musical training has produced an impressive number of notable artists, from such legends as Leonard Bernstein and Samuel Barber to current stars Juan Diego Flórez, Alan Gilbert, Jennifer Higdon, Hilary Hahn, Leila Josefowicz, Lang Lang, and Time for Three.

Congratulations, Scott!
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Jonathan Fowler
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Scott Devereaux Enters Curtis Institute of Music

Post by Jonathan Fowler »

I've had the chance to play with Scott over the past few weeks, not only is he a great player, but a nice guy as well. For those of you that live near Philly, the Curtis Orchestra will be playing Symphony Fantastique this Tuesday at the Kimmel Center. The orchestra sounds great and will feature (feature IS too strong a word) Scott and yours truly on the tuba (yes, I know, ophecleide) parts.

Jon Fowler
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Re: Scott Devereaux Enters Curtis Institute of Music

Post by anonymous4 »

Congrats to him, (what a great place to be!!) but isn't 22 over their age limit? Years and years ago when I auditioned for Curtis I thought that 18 was the maximum age for first time admittance. Though I guess the rules have changed since the time that dinosaurs roamed the earth. Or perhaps there never were "rules" and I just imagined an age limit.