ITEA Midwest Quartet Competition

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

ITEA Midwest Quartet Competition

Post by Mike Forbes »

Hello all, (also posted this same note under ITEA Midwest Competitions):

It appears that Bernel Music is getting out of the distribution business and strictly doing the publishing business. Therefore, you will not be able to get the ITEA Midwest Quartet Competition music there at Bernel.

Sotto Voce is launching a new publishing business to deal with this issue, it will be called: TUBAQUARTET.COM (our website). It is our hope that eventually this will be your one-stop shop for quartet music.

In the near future, however, you will be able to purchase the following FINAL ROUND charts for the quartet competition on our website www.tubaquartet.com:

The Village Choir, arr. Paul Walton (of Tubalaté)
Refractions, by Patrick Schulz

Those charts should be up and available in a few weeks--I'll post another brief note when they go up. You will be able to buy them with your credit card through PayPal.

Also, the remaining piece for the Final Round: English Madrigal Suite, arr. yours truly: will be up on the the www.tubaeuphoniumpress.com site VERY soon. I'll post when it's officially up.

Sorry for the delay in getting these charts--but this competition is doing what one hopes all competitions do: increase the literature with new things!! ENJOY!!

I'll keep you posted,
Mike
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

No.

Post by Mike Forbes »

I'm not entirely certain about the whereabouts of Bernel. I don't think he's gone under completely--but I've heard something from the wind that he's teaching high school band again. I do believe Bernel will still be around, but only as publishing house--not a distributor. I don't mean to start any rumors--I just need to sort out how to get this music to willing competition competitors. I currently have in my possession ALL of the music necessary--I just need to get TubaQuartet.com hooked up to Sotto Voce's PayPal Account!! Shouldn't be long now.

Mike
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Mike Forbes »

Ken,

I've seen that format and the guys in Sotto Voce considered it. But there were 3 reasons we avoided it.

1) the problems you stated: having the softward (Adobe) and hardward (GOOD printer) to retieve these files.

2) the appearance of our compositions. While PDF flies certainly look fine, you can't use superb paper, bind together parts (usually with thoughtful pageturns), etc. In my other life, I'm a copyist and a bit of a fanatic about how the music looks on the page and the page itself. When we sell these charts that we've worked very hard on, we want to give them the very best appearance. Not all of us have the $$ for great hardware (esp. students) so that we can print to the high quality I desire to see in a chart. We've all been part of a quartet competition somewhere where the parts are shards of paper, poor manuscript and not at all organized or clear. There's nothing I can't stand more that the piss-poor quality of the appearance of so many tuba quartets out there. Other instrumentalists think we live in caves as it is--there's no reason to propagate that idea than having shoddy publishing.

And 3) some of the charts are not created by us--but we are simply distributing. Though we could scan into a PDF, we'd prefer to leave other composers'/arrangers' music intact (and avoid legal hassles).

I do foresee, however, freebee (Loch Lomond, etc.) being available on our site in the future as a free download. I also see this whole idea the way of the future. As soon as it becomes a mainstream thing to have a HQ printer--we'll probably go that route.

Thanks for the advice!

Mike
Mike Forbes
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Mike Forbes »

GREETINGS ALL!

I'm very proud to announce that all the final round music is now available to purchase online!!

TUBAQUARTET.COM is ready to accept payment (via PayPal or Credit Card) for the ITEA Midwest Regional Tuba/Euphonium Conference (MWRTEC) quartet competition music (final round).

Order your copy of: "REFRACTIONS" by Patrick Schulz & "THE VILLAGE CHOIR" by Borodin, arr. Walton HERE:

http://www.tubaquartet.com/sheetmusic.html

The other final round selection is availble from tuba-euphonium press. Follow the link below down to:

FORBES, English Madrigal Suite for tuba/euph. quartet.

http://www.tubaeuphoniumpress.com/c513.html

Thanks, and good luck to all participating tuba/euphonium quartets. Remember, you DO NOT have to be from the Midwest to participate in this competition or regional conference!

MWRTEC Conference Website:

http://www.ilstu.edu/%7Emwdoher/MWRTEC/

Please email me with any problems with obtaining any music for this conference's competitions.

Good luck to all!!

Regards,
Mike