Tuba opening in The US Army Band, "Pershing's Own"

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Tuba opening in The US Army Band, "Pershing's Own"

Post by WoodSheddin »

Just giving y'all a heads up. Pershing's Own is going to be having an audition for a Sousaphone spot next spring to early summer. SGM Ross Morgan is becoming Unit Sergeant Major so that is freeing up a tuba slot.

More official and specific details will be posted in the US Army Band website soon. In the past auditions have required a preliminary tape/cd, resume, and full length photo in order to get invited. Historically the tape/cd content has been at the discression of the candidate. The sooner you work out your tape contents and get working on them the better.
Last edited by WoodSheddin on Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean chisham
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

Do you have to be a U.S. citizen to apply?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

kontrabass wrote:Do you have to be a U.S. citizen to apply?
Not sure. The auditions coordinator for our band is SFC Maria De La Cerda. Her email address is listed as delacerdam@fmmc.army.mil on the Auditions website here http://www.army.mil/armyband/vacancies/index.html . Might ask her about that one. I am pretty sure you can be in the US military and not be a citizen, but not sure about our particular unit.
sean chisham
Dean E
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Dean E »

kontrabass wrote:Do you have to be a U.S. citizen to apply?
The US military accepts those who have green cards. The Prez signed a law letting all non-citizens in the military qualify for citizenship in only one year--without the normal three-year waiting period.
PDF Brochure
Dean E
[S]tudy politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy . . . in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry [and] music. . . . John Adams (1780)
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

AFAIK, this job requires a top secret clearance, which you cannot get without US citizenship. I just had my CO check because I wanted my wife to take the violin audition. You can be in the regular military for up to 8 years w/o US citizenship.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

jtuba wrote:AFAIK, this job requires a top secret clearance, which you cannot get without US citizenship.
I am not entirelly certain that is true anymore. Contact SFC De La Cerda to verify, but I had heard a rumor that we no longer required those clearances. Again, that is just the rumor I heard. e-mail the audition coordinator to get the official info.
sean chisham
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

TubeNet wrote:
jtuba wrote:AFAIK, this job requires a top secret clearance, which you cannot get without US citizenship.
I am not entirelly certain that is true anymore. Contact SFC De La Cerda to verify, but I had heard a rumor that we no longer required those clearances. Again, that is just the rumor I heard. e-mail the audition coordinator to get the official info.
This says you must meed the entrance requirements and have that a background check will be done. Requirements to visit the White House are not the same as top secret clearance tihough. I doubt most people that work in the White House have top secret clearance.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

ThomasDodd wrote:This says you must meed the entrance requirements and have that a background check will be done. Requirements to visit the White House are not the same as top secret clearance tihough. I doubt most people that work in the White House have top secret clearance.
I understand what is on our website, but I would still contact SFC De La Cerda to find out for sure. The Army Band website is NOT the definitive answer to all questions related to the band. The site is updated much more regularly than is was a few years ago, but it still takes time for all changes to make it online.

I could be incorrect in what I have heard, but it would be worth asking the audition coordinator for the most timely official scoop.
sean chisham
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Post by MartyNeilan »

what is the max age for first time enlistment? at 33, I may be too old :(
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

MartyNeilan wrote:what is the max age for first time enlistment? at 33, I may be too old :(

Grandpa, you are NOT too old. Max age is 34. Once you hit 35 you can't raise your right hand anymore anyways :D

I went to basic training with a guy who celebrated his 35th birthday in basic.
sean chisham
ThomasDodd
5 valves
5 valves

Post by ThomasDodd »

TubeNet wrote:
MartyNeilan wrote:what is the max age for first time enlistment? at 33, I may be too old :(

Grandpa, you are NOT too old. Max age is 34.
Do you remember the age for prior service?
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

ThomasDodd wrote:
TubeNet wrote:

Grandpa, you are NOT too old. Max age is 34.
Do you remember the age for prior service?
I forget how that works. I know the rules ARE different for prior service though. That would need to be checked with a recruiter.
sean chisham
Dean
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Dean »

For prior service folks:

You add your prior service time to age 35.

So, if you are 39, but you served 5 years already... 35+5=40. 39<40, so you are OK.

I THINK that is all that is involved, but there may be some other rules as well...
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Dean wrote:For prior service folks:

You add your prior service time to age 35.

So, if you are 39, but you served 5 years already... 35+5=40. 39<40, so you are OK.

I THINK that is all that is involved, but there may be some other rules as well...
That would make sense, so you could still receive a retirement after 20 total years of active duty before aging out at 55.
sean chisham
kontrabass
3 valves
3 valves

Post by kontrabass »

I e-mailed the audition co-ordinator. Here is her response:
[
Thank you for your interest in Pershing's Own. Following is a copy of what
SGM Bowman, administrative NCOIC, has relayed about musicians applying for
the unit "As you know, a soldier can enter into the Army with a Green Card.
Within eight years they must become a citizen or separate from the military.
TUSAB takes this a step further in that we participate in events at the
White House. Our current requirement of a Secret clearance requires
applicant to already have citizenship prior to the security application."
Further on a seperate case she states, "This is all workable should the
individual be just a short time away from receiving their citizenship. If
they has not even begun the process, I would be remiss to say that we not
even consider them. Time would not be in our favor."
]

There you have it.
ajh670
lurker
lurker

Green cards, age, etc.

Post by ajh670 »

Go see or call a recruiter. They'll think that you might want in the Army whether you win the audition or not... so they'll be motivated to assist you in getting your citizenship status taken care of. They will also have access to prior service rules for qualifications. (If you teach privately, this would be a good opportunity to see what the recruiters and the process is like to get in a regular of Macom band... this will only help your students that want a job playing or want money for college.)

Whether you get everything taken care or not, take the audition... especially if you haven't taken one before. It's a great experience that you'll be able to share with students and other curious people... and if you make the finals, you get a free trip to D.C.
God Bless America. God Bless our troops.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Got the dates today for the Sousaphone audition. Tapes are due April 8, 2005. Audition will be late May.
sean chisham
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

bloke wrote:' might want to try out this method...' great series... :roll:
We use silver Sousaphones.
sean chisham
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

txtuba01 wrote:Mr. Chisham, are you in 'Pershing's Own'? Just curious.
RA
I am a Sousaphone operator in said ensemble.
sean chisham
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

bump
tapes due April 8
sean chisham