Danish National Symphony Orchestra

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Danish National Symphony Orchestra

Post by AHynds »

Saw this posted on the musical chairs website. Here's the audition announcement.

http://www.dr.dk/OmDR/Job+og+karriere/A ... 121102.htm

Looks like a solid job. Plus, if I did the currency conversion correctly, it looks like the yearly salary starts at around 80,000 USD. I think the most interesting part of the job announcement is the line near the end, "Orchestra owned instruments are provided for these positions." Anyone have a clue on what instruments they have? I assume they would have a cimbasso, since the job is for tuba with a cimbasso obligation.

Aaron H.
Aaron Hynds, DMA
Lecturer, Music Business & New Media - University of Kentucky
I like to make and record sounds with metal pipes and computers.
olaness
bugler
bugler

Re: Danish National Symphony Orchestra

Post by olaness »

I have no idea what instruments the orchestra have, but I am sure that it is, as you say, a solid job. And with decent, liveable money to boot. If you are considering the job on the pay basis, do investigate the cost of living there. I suspect that anyone from the US would first choke on their toast, then get their heads will start to spin before dismissing it as impossible. But chances are it's not impossible... 418.000 to 505.000 DEK is decent money there, but just don't fool yourself that it is going to be as much as it would be in the US.
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

If this works like all other EU jobs, the audition will be limited to folks with EU passports. Should they fail to find a 'qualified candidate' at this audition (unlikely), they'd then open it up to worldwide candidates.
Elliot Dushman
lurker
lurker

Post by Elliot Dushman »

usually if they're looking for only EU people, they would say that in the advertisement. The Danish radio, from my understanding is the best, highest paying job in denmark, so I wouldn't worry about the salary. They may take a lot out for taxes, and Copenhagen may be fairly expensive, but your kids will get a better education without paying hundreds of thousands of dollars, and health care is free. As far as instruments go, how i understand it works in roughly any big orchestra in europe is,you can ask them to buy you whatever you want to play, and they sell whatever they have that you don't need. If you're happy with what you've got already, you might get some sort of extra money for playing your own instruments.
i hope this is either accurate or helpful. or both.

Elliot
UDELBR
Deletedaccounts
Deletedaccounts

Post by UDELBR »

Elliot Dushman wrote:usually if they're looking for only EU people, they would say that in the advertisement.
It's implicit here:
Employment is subject to confirmation of residence and work permit in Denmark.

and this from the Danish immigration site:
Immigration Service will pay particular attention to ... whether there are available professionals residing in Denmark or the EU/EEA who are qualified to carry out the job in question
Maybe as you assert non-EU workers are welcome in the Danish job market, but they most certainly are not in the rest of the EU.
Mitch
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mitch »

A friend of mine from grad school is a violinist in the group. She happened to post links to a number of open position notices on facebook earlier today, which is where I heard about it first. Hadn't looked here in a while.

So I sent a message asking for clarification on eligibility, and her answer is:
They are open for all. Worldwide. One has to get a work permit and that can sometimes take a while. But we have people from all over the world in the band already. Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Korea... You name it.
True, she's not in HR, but she is a member of the orchestra in question (and happens to really enjoy it - she wrote me after coming home from a performance of Mathis der Mahler).

Good luck, all.
joshwirt
pro musician
pro musician

Post by joshwirt »

so any news from across the pond??
Elmhurst University - Applied Professor of Tuba/Euphonium
Elmhurst Symphony - Principal Tuba
Wintergreen Music Festival - Principal Tuba
New Chicago Brass
Ottava Quartet
JHardisk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JHardisk »

Looks like this audition has been posted again. Does anyone know anything about it, other than what's been speculated and debated in the previous posts?
~John Hardisky
bud
bugler
bugler

Post by bud »

Anyone go to this? What were the results? I believe the audition was supposed to take place in late june.
Mitch
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mitch »

I sent a message to my source. I'll post if/what I hear. She is a violinist, though, and may not be privy to all the details.
bud
bugler
bugler

Post by bud »

Thanks
Mitch
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Mitch »

Here's what I heard back:
That with the tuba position surprises me. Last thing I know was, that all positions we held auditions for at the end of June, were actually filled. I left the day after the last audition. That's when we got off for the summer. So it would really surprise me if that position was posted again. Since we haven't played since then. That must almost be a mistake.
I guess I can listen around when I'm back next week, but really everybody is on vacation so that might be hard...
We are starting again in the middle of August, nothing happens until then anyway...
elihellsten
bugler
bugler

Post by elihellsten »

According to their website Christian Bay plays tuba in the orchestra.
Research tells me that he graduated from the Copenhagen Conservatory a few years ago. A local talent, it seems.
Brass band
bentuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by bentuba7 »

Sorry to dig this back up, but I'm curious of what the situation might be with DRSO these days. I see they've posted another audition. Does anyone know why they haven't settled on a tubist? Any insider scoops?
dante jones
lurker
lurker

Post by dante jones »

bump...heading over there in january
Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. - Jesus of Nazareth
dante jones
lurker
lurker

Post by dante jones »

Just want to say congratulations to Thomas Røisland on winning the position with the Danish Radio Symphony. He is most recently the tubist of the Norwegian Radio Symphony.

I was also able to audition this past week in Copenhagen, and i have to say, I think it might be a very good idea for young North American tubists to find a way to study for 6 months to a year in a conservatory in Denmark, Sweden, or Norway, where most of the candidates live. The level of competition in the audition, as i heard it this week, was extraordinarily high, and a vast majority of the players i heard and got to hear and speak with had a very graceful concept of sound.

Ben
Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it. - Rumi
28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. - Jesus of Nazareth