Marine Band Auditions

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Marine Band Auditions

Post by WoodSheddin »

Tubadad wrote:Any report on the number of registrants or the number expected?
In the past it has usually been between 50-70 people showing up with about 10-20% advancing past the grease trap.
sean chisham
Jarrod
bugler
bugler

names

Post by Jarrod »

Ryan Scott (BM: SMU, MM: CIM, Current DMA Student: UNT) advanced yesterday from the 2nd group of 5 people. He said another student from Indiana, possibly named "Tim" advanced as well.
JCradler
pro musician
pro musician

Results

Post by JCradler »

The winner of the USMB audition today was Paul Mergen. There were 7 semi-finalists and 3 finalists. 78 total went through prelims yesterday. Thanks to all the fine musicians who performed.

JC
John Cradler
JCradler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCradler »

P.S.
Sean, how do I get this thing to log in every time I visit? I checked the box, what else needs done?

JC
John Cradler
brattom
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Results

Post by brattom »

JCradler wrote:The winner of the USMB audition today was Paul Mergen. There were 7 semi-finalists and 3 finalists. 78 total went through prelims yesterday. Thanks to all the fine musicians who performed.

JC
He looks pretty old for the Marine Band.

http://www.worldpeaceart.org/merg1.html

Tom

[/url]
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Results

Post by Leland »

brattom wrote:He looks pretty old for the Marine Band.

http://www.worldpeaceart.org/merg1.html

Tom
Plus, he'll have to get quite the haircut & shave... ;)

Leland "who wishes he didn't bomb the Holst" Jordon
JCradler
pro musician
pro musician

Post by JCradler »

Sean wrote:
JCradler wrote:P.S.
Sean, how do I get this thing to log in every time I visit? I checked the box, what else needs done?

JC
grrrrrr. :evil: That should be all you need to do. You Mac users are going to be the end of me. Do you have some application which deletes you cookies by chance? Or maybe a cookie blocker? Cookies are what keep you logged into here. Enable them for forums.chisham.com
They are enabled. Do I just never log out? Yes, there are those of us that will need some handholding for a while....

jc
John Cradler
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

JCradler wrote:They are enabled. Do I just never log out? Yes, there are those of us that will need some handholding for a while....

jc
I think I understand now. Just log in and stay logged in, if the computer is not a public machine. Anyone sitting down in front of your computer can post under your name as long as you never log off. If you are more paranoid or using a machine away from home, then logout. Otherwise always stay logged in and ignore that silly login and logout button.
sean chisham
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Sean wrote:grrrrrr. :evil: That should be all you need to do. You Mac users are going to be the end of me. Do you have some application which deletes you cookies by chance? Or maybe a cookie blocker? Cookies are what keep you logged into here. Enable them for forums.chisham.com
Hey, now, not all of us are having problems... ;)

I'm on Safari, and have it set to "Accept Cookies: Only from sites you navigate to" in the Security pane of Safari's preferences. It's also set to block pop-up windows.

Safari's not bad for cookie management as far as being able to see them & choosing which ones to delete.
Cesar V wrote:You auditioned Leland??? Just wondering what horn you play on and Such, and which movement of Holst?
Yeah, I gave it a shot -- a really long one at that.

I found out about it right before we (USMC Drum & Bugle Corps) left on our 6-week tour to Arizona & the West coast, which put me 1400 miles away from my tuba (VMI 3302, possibly the only BBb at the audition.. lol). I couldn't get back on the horn until barely a week beforehand, and busted my hump finding my BBb chops again.

The bit from Holst was the soft, slow melody from the First Suite in Eb, and honestly, my nerves got the best of me, and a steady tone was, shall we say, not in my arsenal for those 20 seconds. Everything else went fairly well, but "everything else" isn't going to be good enough in the company of a lot of the auditionees.

I played probably at about 10:30 or so (I purposely left my watch in my backpack; I was #16), and went right to lunch after learning that I didn't make the first cut.

Oh well, at least I gave it a shot. The Holst was the only thing I was disappointed with; I played the other ones as well as I could expect. It was also my first "real" audition, and was certainly an experience.

There were a LOT of good players, which I was happy to see. Also, the process itself, I think, couldn't be any more fair than it already was -- literally anybody who showed up had a real, honest shot at landing the spot.
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Wut Horn?

Post by Leland »

Cesar V wrote:What horn were you playing on Tour??? and yea i understand what it would be leaving your Tuba from where you were and not being able to play it, you got another shot next year?? (not sure if they audition every year)

--Cesar*Thanks for my Signature*Vazquez
I was on one of our custom-built GG Kanstul 2-piston/1-rotor contrabasses. It's okay, it sounds better from the audience's perspective than it does at the mouthpiece, but it's just not the same. At least my face got a daily workout, which made it easier to find my tuba sound again before Monday.

I don't know when the next tuba audition will be, but it's certainly not every year. The personnel they have now still have a number of years left if they choose to stay.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Ahhhh.

Post by WoodSheddin »

Cesar V wrote:So it works like a Spot in a Philharmonic, or an Orchestra. When you get that spot your their untill you cant play anymore or when you get tired of it.

---Cesar Vazquez
or until the defense department decides you are too old to be effective
sean chisham
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Not quite like an orchestra position --

Provided that you stay healthy and out of trouble, you can retire with a pension in 20 years (go for 30 and your pension is 100% of your last pay amount).

You do have to keep your end of the bargain, however. Staying physically fit is something that'll be part of your job, as is fulfilling any other duties that don't involve having the horn on your face. Staying out of trouble is no joke, either -- White House security credentials are a big deal, and all the military bands do represent "the best of the best," both on and off the horn.