Marine Band Auditions

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Wut Horn?

Post by Leland »

Cesar V wrote:What horn were you playing on Tour??? and yea i understand what it would be leaving your Tuba from where you were and not being able to play it, you got another shot next year?? (not sure if they audition every year)

--Cesar*Thanks for my Signature*Vazquez
I was on one of our custom-built GG Kanstul 2-piston/1-rotor contrabasses. It's okay, it sounds better from the audience's perspective than it does at the mouthpiece, but it's just not the same. At least my face got a daily workout, which made it easier to find my tuba sound again before Monday.

I don't know when the next tuba audition will be, but it's certainly not every year. The personnel they have now still have a number of years left if they choose to stay.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Re: Ahhhh.

Post by WoodSheddin »

Cesar V wrote:So it works like a Spot in a Philharmonic, or an Orchestra. When you get that spot your their untill you cant play anymore or when you get tired of it.

---Cesar Vazquez
or until the defense department decides you are too old to be effective
sean chisham
Leland
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Leland »

Not quite like an orchestra position --

Provided that you stay healthy and out of trouble, you can retire with a pension in 20 years (go for 30 and your pension is 100% of your last pay amount).

You do have to keep your end of the bargain, however. Staying physically fit is something that'll be part of your job, as is fulfilling any other duties that don't involve having the horn on your face. Staying out of trouble is no joke, either -- White House security credentials are a big deal, and all the military bands do represent "the best of the best," both on and off the horn.