Navy Fleet Bands has several tuba openings again

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
bcollins
bugler
bugler

Navy Fleet Bands has several tuba openings again

Post by bcollins »

I posted this a little over a year ago and we've had tuba players audition and join because of this post, so here it is again. The U.S. Navy is still in need of tubists. There are 11 fleet bands with several positions open. If you are not a contender for a major orchestral position or for one of the premier military bands, or even if you are and you need a playing job then consider the navy fleet bands. The playing level is pretty high though, so you still need to be a serious player to get in. You can get beneifits including college loans paid off, possibility of a bonus, college credits paid for while you are enlisted, money for future college, not to mention solid pay and fantasticly low priced health and dental care for you and your family (very low cost). The best part is unlike the army and marines you are a musician only. Don't get me wrong, you are still in the navy but you aren't going to be doing anything besides music and related collateral duties for the band. The navy also provides excellent tubas for you. If there are any serious interests, please email me at bcollins10nb@yahoo.com" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank for further information or of course you can find info online as well.

Billy Collins
Navy Band Northwest

personal instruments: Conn 56J CC / Meinl Weston 182 F
navy instruments used: Meinl Weston 2145 CC / PT6p CC / Miraphone 186 BBb / Wilson 3200 Eb / Conn 20k Sousa
tubamat487
pro musician
pro musician

Re: Navy Fleet Bands has several tuba openings again

Post by tubamat487 »

Have you ever served as a musician in the Army or the Marine Corps?
Mat Murphy
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

I have:p,

A serious question, is the Navy still offering college loan repayment?
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

tubamat487
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubamat487 »

juk juk juk
Mat Murphy
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

bcollins wrote: The best part is unlike the army and marines you are a musician only. Don't get me wrong, you are still in the navy but you aren't going to be doing anything besides music and related collateral duties for the band.
Army/Marine musicians, due to the nature of being a soldier/marine, are infantry/riflemen first then musicians. A Navy musician, due to the nature of being a sailor, is a musician first. It's not an opinion, it's just the way it is.
Last edited by b.williams on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
Miraphone 191
Yamaha YBL-613HS Bass Trombone
tubamat487
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubamat487 »

• Augment local security during periods of heightened combat
As far as I could find, this verbiage has been removed from DA PAM 611-21. I may be wrong, but I couldn't find it and it was my understanding that it was removed several years ago (2007?). If you find it, please provide the chapter and page number because I'm interested anyway.

That's really not the point though. The point is that I find the post unprofessional.
The best part is unlike the army and marines you are a musician only
I had a musical mission when I was deployed. I was never assigned a duty outside the scope of band operations, but I will only speak to my experience. Perhaps you could do the same.
If you are not a contender for a major orchestral position or for one of the premier military bands, or even if you are and you need a playing job then consider the navy fleet bands.
So playing in a fleet band should be reserved for people that can't hack it anywhere else? Maybe people can join and pass the time until they find something better. That'll attract the people you want.

It might be best to stick to the standard ad that navymusicprogram posted. Smart people get paid good money to develop things like that.
Mat Murphy
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

tubamat487 wrote:
• Augment local security during periods of heightened combat
As far as I could find, this verbiage has been removed from DA PAM 611-21. I may be wrong, but I couldn't find it and it was my understanding that it was removed several years ago (2007?). If you find it, please provide the chapter and page number because I'm interested anyway.
You are correct, that particular line is no longer used.
Last edited by b.williams on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Miraphone 191
bcollins
bugler
bugler

Post by bcollins »

Let me clear some things up. I am sorry if some people find this post unprofessional. I wrote this post as a very straight forward way of describing the job as a Navy musician. Yes, I could just leave it to the professional post that the Navy Music Program put up recently, however I am the one who informed the Navy of this particular website and I had posted here over a year before they ever did. I also wanted to describe our job very plainly. Many people will view a job or audition post and presume that "that job is to hard to get into", or "that job would be too easy for me". I stated that this job may not be for people who are serious contenders for major orchestras or premier bands (although I did also say that even if you are you might consider auditioning anyway). Somebody misread this as meaning that the quality isn't high in the fleet bands. Perhaps they missed the next sentence where I said you still need to be a serious player to get in? I want to be up front about the playing level in the fleet bands. If you are good enough to make major orchestras or premier bands, you will be one of the best musicians in the fleet bands. We do however have some premier band quality players in the program. Most of us are outstanding musicians, but not going to win the spot in the Chicago Symphony when it ever opens. Also, I meant no disrespect by saying that unlike the Army and Marines, we only do music. I have nothing but respect and reverence for my brothers and sisters who pick up an instrument and a rifle, but I want everybody who reads this post to understand that as a Navy musician you do not. I imagine that for a lot of musicians, whether they go into combat or have to train for combat, can be a deal breaker. I just wanted to be up front about that.
b.williams
4 valves
4 valves

Post by b.williams »

bcollins wrote:Let me clear some things up. I am sorry if some people find this post unprofessional. I wrote this post as a very straight forward way of describing the job as a Navy musician. Yes, I could just leave it to the professional post that the Navy Music Program put up recently, however I am the one who informed the Navy of this particular website and I had posted here over a year before they ever did. I also wanted to describe our job very plainly. Many people will view a job or audition post and presume that "that job is to hard to get into", or "that job would be too easy for me". I stated that this job may not be for people who are serious contenders for major orchestras or premier bands (although I did also say that even if you are you might consider auditioning anyway). Somebody misread this as meaning that the quality isn't high in the fleet bands. Perhaps they missed the next sentence where I said you still need to be a serious player to get in? I want to be up front about the playing level in the fleet bands. If you are good enough to make major orchestras or premier bands, you will be one of the best musicians in the fleet bands. We do however have some premier band quality players in the program. Most of us are outstanding musicians, but not going to win the spot in the Chicago Symphony when it ever opens. Also, I meant no disrespect by saying that unlike the Army and Marines, we only do music. I have nothing but respect and reverence for my brothers and sisters who pick up an instrument and a rifle, but I want everybody who reads this post to understand that as a Navy musician you do not. I imagine that for a lot of musicians, whether they go into combat or have to train for combat, can be a deal breaker. I just wanted to be up front about that.
I thought your original post was very accurate. I actualy was trying to back you up. I know exactly what you mean about the level of player in the fleet because I once was there. :)
Miraphone 191
tubamat487
pro musician
pro musician

Post by tubamat487 »

I don't think anything you said was disrespectful. I'd just ask that you stick to describing the job of a Sailor and let Soldiers and Marines speak for themselves.
Mat Murphy
jtuba
pro musician
pro musician

Post by jtuba »

Matt, Billy is an honest and sincere person I assure you. He's just trying to keep his organization strong, just like the rest of us. People on the outside will continue to have their opinions about service regardless of what someone writes on a message board. The differences between the services have been broken down here many times with plenty of misinformation. You are right in that we should stick to our own experience.
Adjunct Tuba Professor, Christopher Newport University
Eastman Artist

mdc2d
bugler
bugler

Post by mdc2d »

bcollins wrote:The best part is unlike the army and marines you are a musician only. Don't get me wrong, you are still in the navy but you aren't going to be doing anything besides music and related collateral duties for the band.
I think this is an interesting statement. I have a brother and best friend in the Army Bands, bro at Ft. Benning and friend at Ft. Bragg. While I know it is possible for them to have a duty unrelated to music (especially if deployed), that opportunity seems to be quite remote and music will still be the majority of your duty (even when deployed). My brother and friend both have masters degrees in music and have colleagues from places like IU, Curtis, many with advanced degrees. My brother's day consists of brass quintet rehearsals/gigs, concert band, and working in the music library/logistics (planning gigs)....he is very much a musician and only a musician.

I don't think the statement is completely incorrect, but lumping the marines and army musicians in the same category seems a bit misleading as they are two very different things.
Matt C.
MW 2141 - Eb
JustinLerma
bugler
bugler

Post by JustinLerma »

I think this post is drifting off from its original intent so I'm going to try and help get it back....I probably won't

Billy's post was intended to inform and hopefully get some tuba friends to come and audition for a position in the Navy.

If you are concerned about the level of musican in the bands I assure you it is very high. I myself was regularly performing with the San Diego Symphony and Opera while station in San Diego. I have performed on many occassions with San Antonio Symphony, the Teatro Di San Carlo, and I have been a finalist for severeal overseas jobs. Aside from myself there are TONS musicians with DMA's, Master's, a former principal tuba and horn of the Youtube symphony, a former Romanian opera orchestra member, a band officer was formerly with the band Phish, several trombonists have had succesful careers outside of the Navy, and the list goes on.

These wonderful musicians are not just here, they can be found in Army bands, Marine bands, and Air Forces bands. I do not think that Billy meant to offend anyone, and I hope that this clears some of the band vibes from this thread. I truly believe that all our branches have stellar musicans and you just have to find the right fit for you when looking.

A typical day for most musicians in the service who are not deployed consists of BQ/WQ/combo/small group rehearsals, Wind Ensembles, tons of ceremonial gigs, retirements, arranging, and collateral duties. It's all pretty similar across the board. When a unit of this band deploys we do not have a secondary job, we only perform. I know it is a bit different if you are a Marine or Soldier and because of that I will not try to explain exactly what they do.

Joining the service has many perks and serving your country truly is an awesome thing. Musicians are the face of the military and you will enjoy your time in any of groups should you decide to join. PLEASE do some research before auditioning. Know what really happenes if you join, know what possible duty stations you may end up in, understand that you ARE in the military, and then choose the best fit.

If you would like to talk about the job directly, hit me up on Facebook. Justin Lerma, I live in Naples, I'm the only one.

Justin
Justin
Washington, D.C.
Meinel Weston 45SLP
PT6
euphoniumist
bugler
bugler

Post by euphoniumist »

One of the big things to remember is no matter what service you are in you are still in the military and the federal governments property and for some people that aspect of the job isn't that big of a deal and they do well while in. I've noticed that when researching and talking to people about it you can get caught up with the band part which is of course a big aspect of the job and forget that it is a MILITARY musical organization and not a civilian group. As with all the others folks that commented if anyone has questions send me a message I'm Navy for a few more months and can give my experiences. The good, the bad, and the fun.
burningchrome
bugler
bugler

Post by burningchrome »

What's the story with the "Job Opportunities" page saying "Currently the Navy Music Program is under manning constraints..." ?
I remember this message has been there for a bit. Is there a disconnect between actual needs and the website?

http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/s ... ault2.aspx" target="_blank

Rob
Rob Goeke
--
Trained to kill and play the tuba.
bigjon3838
lurker
lurker

Post by bigjon3838 »

I can only speak from my experience but I auditioned in November and they told me I would be on a waiting list for a year but then got a call a week after my audition saying that I could go through meps and go straight to basic training and I just finished up with basic 3 weeks ago and am now at the school of music in little creek. There are only 5 of us Navy basic course students but 2 of us are tuba players so I think that message is for certain instruments so tuba may obviously be one of those instruments that is needed more in the fleet.
Yamaha YFB 822
Tubist, US Navy Band Southwest
Jeff Keller
bugler
bugler

Post by Jeff Keller »

As of today, there is one tuba position that is open. I don't know that it will be filled due to budgeting. Don't hold me to that as it could change at any moment.

Jeff
The United States Army Band, "Pershing's Own"
PT-6S
MW2250
Davy
bugler
bugler

Post by Davy »

Jeff Keller wrote:As of today, there is one tuba position that is open. I don't know that it will be filled due to budgeting. Don't hold me to that as it could change at any moment.

Jeff

Yikes! Hope it dosen't get filled before my audition this week!
Gnagey-Phone CC
Edwards B-454 Bass Trombone
Shires Q-30 Tenor trombone
King 3B Trombone
Fender P Bass
Ibanez SRH-505 Bass

Army Musician

"Don't play what's there; play what's not there".
-Miles Davis
bcollins
bugler
bugler

Post by bcollins »

Right now there are waiting lists to get in for certain instruments. The Navy is tweaking the manning for different bands which could result in a wait for some instruments. It is always best to just audition anyway. Also, if you score high enough on your audition, there is a strong chance that you might get in waiting list or not.