US ARMY FIELD BAND TUBA AUDITION - WASHINGTON D.C.

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
mcnelson
lurker
lurker

US ARMY FIELD BAND TUBA AUDITION - WASHINGTON D.C.

Post by mcnelson »

http://www.armyfieldband.com/pages/vaca ... _tuba.html" target="_blank" target="_blank (LINK TO TUBA AUDITION INFORMATION)

The U.S. Army Field Band Concert Band announces the following vacancy:
TUBA
Resume/CD deadline: Received by November 4, 2013
Audition date: January 23, 2014

THE UNITED STATES ARMY FIELD BAND
is the Department of the Army's official touring concert band. In its over 60-year history, the Field Band has performed public concerts in all 50 states and 25 foreign countries for audiences totaling more than 103 million people.

QUALIFICATIONS:
Professional performance level
Proficiency in various musical styles, both classical and commercial
Strong sight-reading skills
Baccalaureate degree or higher preferred
Ability to meet Army height/weight standards
Civilian applicants must be 17-34 years of age
U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien

SALARY:
$53,987–$60,934 (Army rank of Staff Sergeant)

JOB DESCRIPTION:
Perform in the Concert Band of The United States Army Field Band
Tour approximately 100 days per year in the U.S. and abroad
Work with Educational Outreach Program in schools across the nation
There are opportunities to perform in small chamber music ensembles
Position requires a minimum 4-year enlistment--the candidate will be informed of acceptance prior to enlistment
Other duties as required in service to the organization

BENEFITS:
30 days paid vacation annually
Medical and Dental care, plus medical care for immediate family members
Post Exchange and Commissary privileges
Educational benefits such as the Montgomery G.I. Bill and tuition assistance

AUDITION PROCESS:
Please submit a recent resume and preliminary CD by the date above (MUST BE RECEIVED BY THIS DATE).

The recording should include the following:

1. Etude 4 from "Low Etudes for Tuba", Phil Snedecor. Quarter note = 65;
2. First Suite in Eb for Military Band, Gustav Holst. Measures 1-8. Quarter note = 60;
3. Melody Shop, K.L. King. Measures 1-9. Half note = 144;
4. Toccata Marziale, R.Vaughan Williams. Beginning through Number "2" and pickup into the 4th Measure of Number "6" through downbeat of Number "10". Quarter note = 95;
5. Cadenza from Movement 3 of "Sonate", Paul Hindemith. Always choose the lower octave on the divisi.

No electronic submissions are currently being accepted; physical media only. Audio CD, playable on a normal CD player, is the preferred method.

Applicants selected from screening of recordings will be invited for a personal interview and audition. Travel expenses will be paid by the United States Army. Military personnel must be eligible for permanent change of station and must submit an Intent to Release memorandum from their unit Commander..

Due to recent enlistment policy restrictions, prior service personnel are advised to consult with their local Army recruiter concerning eligibility.

Attn: Auditions
The U.S. Army Field Band
4214 Field Band Drive STE 5330
Fort Meade, MD 20755-7055
Phone: (301) 677-5781 or 6231

FieldBand.Auditions@us.army.mil" target="_blank" target="_blank
Matt Nelson
Tuba Section Leader, The U.S. Army Field Band
Watchman
bugler
bugler

Re: US ARMY FIELD BAND TUBA AUDITION - WASHINGTON D.C.

Post by Watchman »

Silly question I know, but is the tempo on the Holst a misprint?
mcnelson
lurker
lurker

Post by mcnelson »

Yes, I put that tempo there for a specific reason. Please try to get as close as possible to that tempo. Thanks!

Also, all the music for the taped round is now available for download at:

http://www.armyfieldband.com/pages/vaca ... _tuba.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
Matt Nelson
mcnelson
lurker
lurker

Post by mcnelson »

Sorry, I meant that it is NOT a misprint. It is indeed quarter note = 60
Matt Nelson
runelk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by runelk »

Is someone retiring? If so who?
The only thing for evil to triumph, is when good men do nothing...
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

No one is set to retire!
We have permission to go over strength and get some lucky and talented person to join us!!!
So get your tapes in and we look forward to hearing you and hiring the next great Tuba player : )

Scott Cameron
runelk
pro musician
pro musician

Post by runelk »

Thank you. The more tubas the better. Good luck on the auditions.
The only thing for evil to triumph, is when good men do nothing...
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

Submissions due in a month!!!
Get to it!!!
SC
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

Get those CD's in! This is a GREAT job! Any questions about the gig you can pm me or Matt!
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

Wow!
There were over 90 submissions for this position!!!! That may be a record here at The Field Band :D We heard a lot of talented musicians and appreciate the time and talent that every individual put in to this process.

We reviewed the packets and selected an excellent group of candidates. The next step is to get approval for the selectees and for our support staff to generate the notification letters. As we also have 2 other auditions at the band with tapes due at the same date, you can expect to hear from us within about 2 weeks, or around the 20th of Nov.

If anything changes, I'll send out a notice on this board with an update.

Thanks again!

Scott Cameron
Watchman
bugler
bugler

Post by Watchman »

Scott C wrote:We reviewed the packets and selected an excellent group of candidates.
How many? Does the fact that the army pays for these candidates to travel to DC impact the number you can pass through? Or do you just take however many you like?
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

That's a really good question. In every audition we hope for about twelve candidates to advance to the next round. The next step is for the candidates to get with their recruiter and pass all the military entrance tests, better known as MEPS. It is our experience that a few will unfortunately be disqualified, or will not follow through with this requirement. The number of invitees that usually attend the audition is closer to around eight. We were right on with these numbers. If we identified more we would inform the command to see if we could get more resources, but for this audition that is not needed. Because the list has not been completely vetted, I can't you a final number, but we are very happy with the pool of candidates that we identified.
Scott Cameron
Quarental
bugler
bugler

Post by Quarental »

Do you foresee any openings in the near future? Thanks!
Seth McCay
Private Teacher and Tubist
Dallas, TX
sethmccay@gmail.com" target="_blank
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

Just the current one. If anything changes, you will see a notice pretty quickly : )
SC
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

I have some free time so I thought I would provide some info/ feedback on audition

Those advancing will hear from us this week via FEDEX.
Those not advancing will get a letter expressing our appreciation, and those should be out by this Friday by Mail.

Which brings me to my first observation... If you did not include your address on your resume, we can't notify you.. So please, include a mailing address on your resume : ) we only had one cd not work. Funny that the resume didn't include an address so we couldn't follow up...

The number one reason for those not advancing was time and articulation in Melody Shop. This excerpt was the great equalizer. March style, even articulation through the pattern, time...

Other observations: the Hindemith Cadenza begins p. The holst is also p. They should be in contrast to the other excerpts. Toccata Marziale does not slow down. Intonation in Holst is very important. If a candidate played musically with dynamics, we were instantly engaged. Always tell a story!!!! There were quite a few that were close, but we had a good amount that demonstrated on their submission that they should advance.

Those that were advanced were advanced solely on their musical submission. Resumes were reviewed after the selections were made.

This is a tough process and we are grateful to all who took the time to send us materials. I hope the process was beneficial, and wether you advanced or not, that you learned something valuable along the way : ) the level of talent out there is humbling, and I look forward to helping to select the next tubist for the Field Band
V/r
Scott Cameron
johnhadden
bugler
bugler

Post by johnhadden »

Scott C wrote:I have some free time so I thought I would provide some info/ feedback on audition

Those advancing will hear from us this week via FEDEX.
Those not advancing will get a letter expressing our appreciation, and those should be out by this Friday by Mail.

Which brings me to my first observation... If you did not include your address on your resume, we can't notify you.. So please, include a mailing address on your resume : ) we only had one cd not work. Funny that the resume didn't include an address so we couldn't follow up...

The number one reason for those not advancing was time and articulation in Melody Shop. This excerpt was the great equalizer. March style, even articulation through the pattern, time...

Other observations: the Hindemith Cadenza begins p. The holst is also p. They should be in contrast to the other excerpts. Toccata Marziale does not slow down. Intonation in Holst is very important. If a candidate played musically with dynamics, we were instantly engaged. Always tell a story!!!! There were quite a few that were close, but we had a good amount that demonstrated on their submission that they should advance.

Those that were advanced were advanced solely on their musical submission. Resumes were reviewed after the selections were made.

This is a tough process and we are grateful to all who took the time to send us materials. I hope the process was beneficial, and wether you advanced or not, that you learned something valuable along the way : ) the level of talent out there is humbling, and I look forward to helping to select the next tubist for the Field Band
V/r
Scott Cameron
Thanks for taking the time to write this out Scott. No matter the outcome of these things, it's obviously super helpful for those of us aspiring towards greatness. These things and general comments are fantastic to have. Keeping my fingers crossed for a FedEx package. Best of luck to all of those of auditioned!
John Hadden
Brass Development Coordinator, Buffet Crampon USA
(904) 412-3682
john.hadden@buffetcrampon.com" target="_blank
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

Hello Auditionees!

The Finalist Notification packets went out today. Sorry for the delay. We had an oops.. There were 13 finalists, and after all the packets went out, we had one music packet left over. In the hustle and bustle, some poor soul got everything but the finals music :oops: : ( very embarrassing!!!! I will post the music for all to see, but if you were that candidate, drop me a note and I will get that to you. I will list the Tuba Finals Audition Requirements below.

The other notices will go out tomorrow, so everyone should have word before Thanksgiving Holiday.

Thanks for your patience, the Tuba world is a special place to be!!!

v/r
SC

US ARMY FIELD BAND TUBA AUDITION
JAN 23, 2014

1st Round

Will be conducted behind a screen and consist of the following enclosed excerpts:

1. ETUDE 4 FROM "LOW ETUDES FOR TUBA" Phil Snedecor
2. CADENZA FROM "SONATE" Paul Hindemith
3. "FIRST SUITE IN Eb FOR MILITARY BAND Gustav Holst
4. "MELODY SHOP" K.L. King
5. "TOCCATA MARZIALE" R.Vaughan Williams
6. "J ’AI ETE AU BAL" Donald Grantham
7. "LINCOLNSHIRE POSY" Percy Aldridge Grainger
8. "SYMPHONY IN Bb" Paul Hindemith

2nd and 3rd Rounds

Will be conducted without a screen and consist of "to be selected from" excerpts, prepared solo, sightreading, and a possible short interview.

Excerpts "to be selected from"

1. "FIRST SUITE IN Eb FOR MILITARY BAND Gustav Holst
2. "MELODY SHOP" K.L. King
3. "TOCCATA MARZIALE" R.Vaughan Williams
4. "J ’AI ETE AU BAL" Donald Grantham
5. "LINCOLNSHIRE POSY" Percy Aldridge Grainger
6. "SYMPHONY IN Bb" Paul Hindemith
7. "BOYS OF THE OLD BRIGADE" W. Paris Chambers
8. "FESTIVAL VARIATIONS" Claude T. Smith
9. "OBERON" Carl Maria von Weber
10. "RUSSLAN AND LUDMILLA" M. Glinka
11. "THE SCHOOL FOR SCANDAL" Samuel Barber
12. "WEST SIDE STORY" Leonard Bernstein
Scott C
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Scott C »

Two Choices for access to Finals Music and Instructions. For informational purposes only : )

Drop Box:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8qzajcathwnwmii/Rvtkdsa7vq" target="_blank" target="_blank

Google drive:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing" target="_blank" target="_blank

v/r

SC
tubaport
bugler
bugler

Post by tubaport »

Wow! Thanks for posting these comments, Scott! It is always extremely helpful no matter which service band audition you attend to know some of the key aspects the panel is looking for. From personal experience, I would completely agree that most service band audition panels do not want to hear Toccata Marziale slow down/drag.

Thanks again!
Kyle Hurst

”Wagner use to read the libretti of his operas to his friends; I’m glad I was not there.”
Ralph Vaughan Williams
Andrewnowry
lurker
lurker

Post by Andrewnowry »

Scott C wrote: Which brings me to my first observation... If you did not include your address on your resume, we can't notify you.. So please, include a mailing address on your resume : )
Scott Cameron
Just curious as to this part of your post. Did you listen to the recordings of those who did not include a return address on their resume? I was one of the unfortunate few who do little to no communication via mail and did not include an address on my resume. Personally, I thought an e-mail address and phone number would be sufficient. A lesson learned the hard way I suppose (I've since added it).
Andrew.