UCLA: Masters Student Wanted! (See latest update.)

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

UCLA: Masters Student Wanted! (See latest update.)

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Hi Everyone,

I am currently accepting applications for the UCLA Tuba and Euphonium Studio at both the undergraduate and graduate level. If you're not familiar with UCLA, it is a wonderful place to study musically & academically and additionally offers the limitless resources of a world-renowned college within a fantastic metropolis. Additionally, I have built the Tuba and Euphonium studio so that it offers a very focused environment: all of the resources you need to achieve the very top level in your field are there for you to take advantage of. We have weekly lessons, a bi-weekly studio class, a weekly brass ensemble (led by Jens Lindemann), two orchestras, two wind bands, awesome guest artists (Tim and Jessica Buzbee will be doing a masterclass here in January), nearby ensembles to listen to - like the L.A. Philharmonic, the L.A. Opera, the L.A. Chamber Orchestra, the Pacific Symphony, The Colburn Chamber Series, etc. - and the famous freelancing scene in L.A. to help you achieve that level.

In an effort to make sure everyone gets all the attention they need and deserve, I try to keep the studio size small. This year we have six in the studio, two of which are graduating. Therefore, I anticipate having one or two openings. Players of either tuba or euphonium (or both) are welcome to apply.

Financial assistance is available and depends on merit and need.

I have built a studio website. Please feel free to check it out at http://uclatubas.weebly.com/. If you're interested, click on the "Audition" tab, then click on the relevant link. Applications are due December 1st.

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best,
Aubrey Foard
Principal Tuba, Charlotte Symphony
Lecturer of Tuba and Euphonium, University of California Los Angeles
Last edited by Aubrey Foard on Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bud
bugler
bugler

Re: UCLA Openings for Tuba, Euph. Grad and Undergrad

Post by bud »

Aubrey Foard: has tuba, will travel. What came first, the Kevlar cases or the gigs all over the place?
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

I'm happy to see Aubrey filling the humungous shoes of Tommy Johnson at UCLA. I really enjoyed my time as a student there. The facilities are excellent, and Los Angeles has so much to offer musically, especially for the "alternative" tubist who is not solely focused on an orchestral career.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Thanks, Bud and Dylan. I am indeed following in the footsteps of tremendous musicians.

UCLA as it is now offers several major assets to tuba and euphonium players who audition into the the studio. I listed many of these above, but I believe it is additionally worth noting that studio members have the benefit of progressing in a friendly but focused environment. I am in the rather fortunate position of being able to perform full-time with the Charlotte Symphony while also teaching at UCLA every Monday. So, in that regard, studio members are able to see what life is like through the eyes and ears of a symphony musician, but also receive the weekly one-on-one lessons necessary to achieve their highest level.
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Post by Dylan King »

OK, now that's a lot of travel. Do you have two horns in each town, or do you haul metal back and forth each week? Just curious.
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Hi Everyone,

Just over three weeks remain to submit your applications for 2014 - 2015! If you're interested or have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Aubrey
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Hi Everyone,

We will likely have an immediate opening for a Master of Music student for studies starting in Fall Quarter of 2014. There is plentiful financial aid available. If you are finishing or have finished your undergraduate degree, this is an opportunity you don't want to miss! Please e-mail or PM me if you're interested. We will be giving first priority to California residents, but all are welcome.

Thank you,
Aubrey Foard
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Re: UCLA: Masters Student Wanted! (See latest update.)

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Hi Everyone,

Just an update for clarity. If you are:
1) Living in a state other than California AND
2) Originally from California AND
3) Have kept your California address as your permanent address, THEN
4) You are likely eligible for in-state tuition rates.

If you are not from California, it is possible to qualify for in-state tuition after one year of California residency.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Aubrey Foard