Valdosta State University - Assistantships Available

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Valdosta State University - Assistantships Available

Post by drow2buh »

Hello!

I just wanted to let everyone know that Valdosta State University is happily accepting applications for undergraduate and graduate tuba and euphonium students. The program is great here, the studio has been growing, and the quality of the studio has been increasing steadily over the last few years. We have performed at multiple ITECs, SERTECs, etc. We have a brand new Director of Athletic Bands, Benjamin Harper, who has been fabulous so far!

Assistantships are available through the bands and other areas of our department for graduate students. Please send myself an email and if you are interested specifically in an athletics bands assistantship, please copy Professor Harper as well! As an added bonus, you will get applied teaching experience! My current GA has three students this semester, in fact!

Me: djrowland@valdosta.edu" target="_blank
Professor Harper: bgharper@valdosta.edu" target="_blank

Thanks!
-Daniel Rowland, DM

Lecturer of Tuba Euphonium
Valdosta State University

Information about VSU from our website:

The Valdosta State University Department of Music is a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music, with a faculty of 30 artist teachers and over 160 music majors. The Department of Music presents over 200 musical performances for the public each year. In addition, several of the major performing ensembles of the department travel throughout Georgia, the Southeast, and abroad; performing for schools, civic groups, and as part of community concert series.

The faculty of the Department of Music are active performers, scholars, conductors, clinicians, and adjudicators throughout the region. The department offers a full range of instrumental and vocal performing ensembles, including the Valdosta Symphony Orchestra. Membership in ensembles is open to all VSU students.

VSU is just the right size. Small enough to provide the personal attention you would expect of a selective private college, yet large enough to offer outstanding faculty, extensive academic programs and social opportunities of a major university. VSU's greatest strength is our faculty whose primary focus is on teaching. They care about their students and challenge them to achieve their full academic potential.

Valdosta State University is committed to providing a quality graduate learning environment that will enable you to pursue your advanced studies guided by graduate faculty with a passion for teaching, scholarship, and service.
Last edited by drow2buh on Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Assistant Professor of Low Brass
University of Wisconsin - Platteville
B&S Tuba Artist/Clinician
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Re: Valdosta State University - Assistantships Available

Post by drow2buh »

Bump with some updated information!
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

Just a bump to mention that VSU now offers in-state tuition to all students in Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina as well! It's not too late to apply for next fall!
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

Just a quick note to mention that there will be several assistantships available next year, including two of our highest paid assistantships assisting the marching band. Those spots as well as others that are open (which range from helping with large classes to tutoring theory) to students of any masters program, including performance, education, etc.

My current masters student (tuba performance) is a marching band graduate assistant but also gets applied teaching experience. He has had 2-5 minors and secondary students (including music majors) every semester. As an example, this semester he has 4 students.

All of the information is in the first post! Just contact me if you are interested in auditioning! If you are interested in pursuing a masters in education, contact Mr. Bradshaw and copy myself.

Thanks!
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Post by AHynds »

This is a great opportunity for anyone looking for a quality Master's program. Dr. Rowland and Dr. Bradshaw are fantastic teachers, and the studio there is really going places. Plus, getting the kind of hands-on experience that is provided in this program is worth a lot, and would be a great resume and career builder for any interested student. If you're thinking about going for a Master's degree in tuba and are looking for suggestions, I'd definitely consider VSU!

Aaron Hynds
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

Thanks for the kind words, Aaron!

My current Masters student is graduating, so I'm really hoping I can find another! Interested students, tuba or euph, contact me anytime to schedule an audition and lesson!
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

I just wanted to mention that it is not too late to audition! My Masters student is graduating and I could really use another for next year. Athletic band experience and/or interest helps to get an assistantship but not necessarily required.
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

Bump for the new year! Info in the original post has been updated - please read the information posted there! It's never too early to get in touch and start auditions! There will be graduate assistantships available this year!

Future undergraduate students: don't forget we offer AUTOMATIC in-state tuition to residents of Florida, Alabama, and South Carolina!

Don't hesitate to contact me with questions!
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

Bump for the new year! It's never too early to start applying.

If you get an assistantship it comes with a full tuition waiver!

Undergraduate applicants: we still have automatic in-state tuition for Florida, South Carolina, and Alabama residents!
drow2buh
bugler
bugler

Post by drow2buh »

Bump, so to speak!

VSU has A LOT of music assistantships available this year! A LOT.

If you missed the Dec. 1st deadline at all the big schools and want a chance at a fabulous Department of Music, shoot me an email! Assistantships include full tuition waiver, a $6000 or $8000 stipend, plus access to cheap health insurance if needed.

My studio has been doing great things lately and I’d love to continue to fill it with more hardworking, talented individuals.

We have a particular need for a BRASS player to take an Athletics Bands assistantship, and that has been tuba players the last several years.

Feel free to contact me with questions or to setup an audition. VSU has set audition dates for undergrads, but we can accommodate MMP auditions anytime!