Graduate Openings at University of Central Arkansas

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
TTkatz
bugler
bugler

Graduate Openings at University of Central Arkansas

Post by TTkatz »

Hello, TubeNet!

I'd like to announce that the University of Central Arkansas has an immediate opening for a graduate student in Tuba. UCA has rolling admission so it's not too late to apply and audition. We have two options for graduate study at UCA:

One Year Performance Certificate - This degree program is heavily focused on performance, with minimal academic requirements. Maybe you want a year to focus on practicing for competitions, auditions, improve your GPA, graduate school auditions or learning English (for foreign students needing the TOEFL). This degree can be fully covered by scholarship for in-state students. ** IF you live in a BORDER state to Arkansas, and your permanent address is in that state, you will pay in-state tuition (which will be covered via scholarship to well-qualified candidates). Other financial aid is available for students from outside the border states.

Master of Music in Performance, Theory, Conducting, Music Ed, History, or Composition - A traditional two-year masters degree. Well qualified candidates will receive a full-tuition waiver and generous assistantship.

Exciting things are happening at UCA. Next year, we will have a residency with Jeff Nelsen on "Fearless Performance" as well as a three-day residency with Rhythm and Brass. Also, UCA typically brings in at least two guest artists a semester (past artists include Sam Pilafian, Pat Sheridan, Tim Buzbee, Sotto Voce, Demondrae Thurman, Adam Frey, Charles Villarubia, Kevin Sanders, Matt Tropman and many others). In addition, UCA is hosting the 2015 South Central Regional Conference (the bulk of the assistantship work will be based around this event). The UCA studio is a vibrant one, with 15 majors, that holds a daily warm up class, three weekly studio classes, and a tuba-euphonium ensemble. Many private lesson opportunities exist in the area, as well as performance with the Natural State Brass Band, based in Little Rock (just 30 min south of UCA). Plus, you'd attend school at the only university to have a football field that looks like this:

For more information about our program, you can visit http://www.uca.edu/music" target="_blank or email me directly. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks for reading! Go Bears!

-Christian Carichner
Assistant Professor of Tuba, Euphonium, and Jazz
University of Central Arkansas

ccarichner@uca.edu" target="_blank
http://www.christiancarichner.com" target="_blank

Plus, you'd attend school at the only university to have a football field that looks like this :shock: :
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TubaOrpheus
lurker
lurker

Re: Graduate Openings at University of Central Arkansas

Post by TubaOrpheus »

I'm Prof. Carichner's current graduate student and I've studied with him since he took the job here at UCA. He's a great teacher and motivator. The tuba studio is one of the better studios in the dept in terms of hours spent practicing and our level of understanding of music theory. We spend lots of time performing for each other and learning theory and applying it to our horn. The ensemble here also gets lots of exposure and performs at great conferences. Since I've been here, we've performed at 2 ITEC's and several regional conferences.

UCA also has a great music faculty. Many of them have studied at the top music schools/conservatories in the world. Some faculty are considered to be among the best in their field. The dept is fairly close as well. It's not too small or too big. You get to know everyone and we spend a lot of time with each other outside of class. There are lots of opportunities to perform here or in the surrounding area (Little Rock mainly).

The city of Conway is also growing and becoming a pretty cool town. Many businesses are opening up here (there are 2 new huge shopping centers in development) and there's a lot to do. Of course if you get bored here, Little Rock is about 25 minutes away!

There are a lot of good things happening at UCA and in our studio!