BGSU - Assistantship/Auditions & MWRTEC 2015!!

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Dave2ba
pro musician
pro musician

BGSU - Assistantship/Auditions & MWRTEC 2015!!

Post by Dave2ba »

Hi everyone,

I would like to announce that Bowling Green State University will have an open Graduate Tuba Assistantship (tuition plus stipend) for the Fall of 2015! Duties require performing in the Graduate Brass Quintet. All applicants interested should check out the BGSU website: http://www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts/prospe ... l#graduate" target="_blank

For more information PM or send a message to me at dsaltzm@bgsu.edu" target="_blank.

BGSU also has numerous openings for undergraduate tuba and euphonium students with numerous talent and academic scholarships available. Information for undergraduate students can be found here: http://www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts/prospe ... #undergrad" target="_blank

As always our Doctorate Of Music in Contemporary Music is open to applicants as well. The fully funded (tuition and stipend) program is highly selective and very competitive but I encourage anyone interested in New Music to apply. This highly specialized degree is one of only a few available here in the US! More info on the DMA in Contemporary Music can be found here: http://www.bgsu.edu/musical-arts/prospe ... ition.html" target="_blank

BGSU is also proud to announce that we are the site for the 2015 MWTREC!! More information will be out soon! Interested parties should feel free to contact me ASAP.

Looking forward to all of the exciting things going on here and around the country! Best of luck in your auditions this year!

Sincerely,

Dave Saltzman
Instructor of Tuba/Euphonium - Bowling Green State University
Principal Tuba Toledo Symphony Orchestra
Principal Tuba Glimmerglass Opera Festival
Dave2ba@aol.com" target="_blank
dsaltzm@bgsu.edu" target="_blank
AHynds
3 valves
3 valves

Re: BGSU - Assistantship/Auditions & MWRTEC 2015!!

Post by AHynds »

Hello, all,

I just wanted to give this post an unsolicited bump, and say a little about the programs here.

I am currently working on the DMA of Contemporary Music here at BGSU, and it has been a great experience so far. As with any doctoral program, there is a lot of work involved, but having the opportunity to focus on contemporary music at the doctoral level gives the program a very unique vibe, and standards are high within the program. There is no quota for certain instruments in the DMA program; all applicants are considered, and a final panel of 12 are selected to audition in person for the program. This leads to a very diverse doctoral candidate pool, including a number of different instrumentalists, composers, and conductors. Anyone that may be interested in the DMA program is free to email me for more info (hyndsa [@] gmail [.] com)

The MM assistantship is also a great deal, especially with the Graduate Brass Quintet. Anyone looking for a great opportunity to get some quality time on the horn and to get the input of the great brass faculty here should definitely give this assistantship a look.

Besides the opportunities here at the school, Bowling Green is located within driving distance of several major cities and music markets, including Detroit, Toledo, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Buffalo, Chicago, and Indianapolis. The studio keeps growing year after year, and upcoming events include the 2015 Midwest Regional Tuba Euphonium Conference (May 15th-17th).

And finally, anyone looking for a good teacher should look no further than Prof. Dave Saltzman. I've studied with several teachers during my collegiate career, and Prof. Saltzman is up there at the top with the best of them. Besides teaching, getting to hear Prof. Saltzman play with the Toledo Symphony is its own educational experience; you'd be hard-pressed to find a better player and musician out there.

If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to email me!

Aaron Hynds
darth2ba
3 valves
3 valves

Re: BGSU - Assistantship/Auditions & MWRTEC 2015!!

Post by darth2ba »

Hello all,

I thought I would also give an unsolicited bump and give a little insight into the Graduate Brass Quintet Assistantship.

I am currently in my second year of my MM in Tuba Performance here at BGSU, and I have to say that I have had a wonderful experience so far. The Graduate Brass Quintet's main obligations are to perform at graduation commencements and perform a recital during the academic year. Everyone in the quintet is motivated to become better musicians, and each member has an eagerness to play the quintet literature. Every week the quintet has a coaching session, refining what has been rehearsed during each week. The Graduate Brass Quintet also performs for certain music events throughout the academic year. This particular assistantship is excellent because your obligation is to play in the quintet, which means getting in a lot of individual time on the horn.

In addition to this assistantship, Professor Saltzman is an amazing musician, educator, and mentor. Any opportunity to listen to him perform, from soloing to playing with the Toledo Symphony, is truly inspiring.

If you have any questions regarding the Graduate Brass Quintet Assistantship, feel free to email me at ready dot tuba @ gmail dot com.

All the best,

Joe Ready
Joe Ready
Principal Tuba: Portland Opera
Low Brass Instructor: Pacific University