UCLA Tuba & Euph Studio - Undergrad, Grad, DMA! Aid avail!

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

UCLA Tuba & Euph Studio - Undergrad, Grad, DMA! Aid avail!

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Hi Everyone,

The UCLA Tuba and Euphonium Studio will have several openings for next school year, including at least one graduate level opening for tuba or euphonium and one or two undergraduate openings for either instrument.

UCLA is rapidly becoming a powerhouse music school! We have a brand new building - the Evelyn and Mo Ostin Center - which includes practice space, offices, a stunning large ensemble room and a great recording studio. Our flagship orchestra, the UCLA Philharmonia, has recently garnered outstanding praise for its new recordings. In addition to two orchestras, UCLA tuba and euphonium students can perform in two wind ensembles, the brass ensemble - both the large brass ensemble and the smaller "symphonic" brass ensemble - brass quintet, and tuba ensemble. I also teach a weekly studio class that allows us all to congregate, play for each other, and learn more about maximizing our potential as musicians. Finally, we have several guest artists and lecturers every year; in the last year alone, we've hosted Tim Buzbee, Blake Cooper, David Holben, Jessica Buzbee, Andrew Bain, Jeff Nelsen, and The U.S. Army Brass Quintet. In addition to weekly one-on-one lessons with me, you get exposure to an outstanding brass faculty, including LA Philharmonic trombonist Jim Miller, movie studio horn player Amy Sanchez, and international trumpet superstar Jens Lindemann.

Financial aid is very much available, and there may be a possibility of assistantships for graduate students. In-state tuition rates are available to California residents; if you come from out-of-state, it is possible to claim California residency after one year, thus vastly lowering your tuition costs!

Of course, if you come to school here, you'll be in the heart of one of the greatest cultural hubs in the world. Between the LA Phil, LA Chamber Orchestra, LA Opera, Pacific Symphony, and an enormous assortment of international guest artists, local chamber ensembles, and regional orchestras, there is never a shortage of incredible music in greater Los Angeles. Add to that the awesome foodie scene, the picturesque community of Westwood, the beach, mountains, and the Mediterranean climate, and you'll have an ideal setting for music and for living.

If you'd like to learn more, click the link to access the UCLA Tuba and Euphonium Studio website. Please feel free to contact me anytime via e-mail or private message. If you'd like to talk on the phone, send me a message with your number and I'll call you at a time that's convenient for you.

Thanks for reading! Hope to see you at auditions!

Aubrey Foard
Principal Tuba, Charlotte Symphony Orchestra
Faculty, UCLA Tuba and Euphonium Studio
Faculty, Brevard Music Center

P.S. Here's a picture of our studio for 2014-2015! (EDIT: The picture may get cut off on the right side, depending on the size of your browser window.)
Last edited by Aubrey Foard on Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ace
5 valves
5 valves

Re: UCLA Tuba & Euph Studio - Undergrad, Grad, DMA! Aid avai

Post by Ace »

Aubrey,

You mention UCLA's Philharmonia Orchestra. I took a listen to this group (along with chorus and soloists) and was impressed. (suggest a start around 16:30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7fu26m9qcE" target="_blank

Ace
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Thanks for the link, Ace!
Aubrey Foard
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Aubrey Foard »

Psst... hey, you!
Yeah, you!

Were you thinking of applying for UCLA this next school year?

Well, guess what?

Less than three weeks remaining until the official deadline of December 1st!

(Sorry, I got a little excited there.)

Seriously, though: the deadline is getting close! If you are going to apply, don't delay. And, if you have any questions, please don't be afraid to contact me via the methods I've listed above.

Happy practicing! :tuba: