United States Military Academy Band

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
apsapienza
bugler
bugler

Re: United States Military Academy Band

Post by apsapienza »

First-time audition jitters - has anyone gotten their call backs yet? Anyone know when they're going to be making their calls?
Angelo Sapienza
anonymous4
bugler
bugler

Post by anonymous4 »

apsapienza wrote:First-time audition jitters - has anyone gotten their call backs yet? Anyone know when they're going to be making their calls?
You will probably get a call by the end of the month if you are in. If you aren't in, a rejection letter will come at some point in May. At least that's how it went for me last time I auditioned for this band in 09.

I can't imagine they got as many recordings as they could have, with the piano requirement and the difficulty of the excerpts serving as an effective "weed out" for the underfunded and underpracticed. There are lots of hungry young players though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I was wrong.
Wes Krygsman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Wes Krygsman »

Any news? Did they start contacting people?
Wes Krygsman

Adjunct professor-Kean University
Freelance musician-NJ/NYC area & private lessons

Nirschl York 6/4 CC
Yamaha 821 F
Cerveny 601 Kaiser BBb
Yamaha Ybb 103 BBb
Conn 36k Fiberglass sousaphone BBb
apsapienza
bugler
bugler

Post by apsapienza »

Wes Krygsman wrote:Any news? Did they start contacting people?
nothing here, one way or the other.
Angelo Sapienza
TubaFunkRyRoast
lurker
lurker

Post by TubaFunkRyRoast »

No reply here yet either. Got some friends in CA who sent in tapes as well and they haven't heard anything yet.

Ryan Rogers
4ID Band,
Fort Carson CO
johnhadden
bugler
bugler

Post by johnhadden »

They've contacted those of us that are semi-finalists. I'm assuming a letter of notification will come in the mail, but if you weren't contacted I wouldn't hold your breath. There are 7 of us semi-finalists.
John Hadden
Brass Development Coordinator, Buffet Crampon USA
(904) 412-3682
john.hadden@buffetcrampon.com" target="_blank
apsapienza
bugler
bugler

Post by apsapienza »

Congratulations! Good luck in the next round!

On to the next audition! :D
Angelo Sapienza
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

Here is my take on preparing for these jobs. First time i auditioned was for the Army band in DC in 92. Tapes were used for the first round. I did make it and actually made it to the finals. One thing i was not prepared for was the flute and basson music they pulled out as well as the tenor cleff brass band music for the finals where they wanted us to play thinking BBb tuba while playing CC. Needless to say i did not win. Although i was on a plane 17 days later headed for the Army i was fortunate enough to win the job as the tubas instructor at the armed forces school of music after i graduated their basic course after basic training.

During my time teaching there i compiled 3 massive books on the DC band literature and studied my *** off. To bad i never took another audition after that. Well not exactly, i did take the president's own audition a few years later and was well prepared but i screwed up stars and stripes. I can tell you that as many times as i have played it i have never messed it up the way i did during the audition, no advanace there.. that is one piece you will see and you better play that and all marches great.

Making it past the first round for the tapes is only the start. Second round will be mostly sight reading and the finals will be he hardest with stuff you probably have never seen before and no, it probably wont be written for tuba.

Each audition can be different like when the Navy Academy band had an opening with first round tapes. I played Jabba the Hutt and a Bach flute sonata for the audition but hecause i was in the middle of my Army contract i did not get invited. I will say that i knew a few of the guys there and after speaking to them i was told they wanted me but couldn't touch me. Talks between the Navy commander at the school of music and my commander did take place to let me go but a contract is a contract.

Dont be set on just the tape round, anyone can make a good one if the time and effort is put forth. Its preparing for the next rounds that most are not ready for. During my first audition, the Army band accepted over 60 tapes, only 5 advanced and two were actually selected.

The most difficult audtions i have ever had to prepare for were the military special bands. One thing i tell everyone, dont knock the regular field band positions as you will make more money in you first year playing tuba than most will ever make in their entire careers.

Best advice, be a sight reading machine, even if you cant play it, fake and get the rhythms perfect. If the tempo on Russian Ladmillia (spelliing?) says 160 the you better be in the ball park. They are not looking for the right notes on that one as they just want to see if you can hang. If they give you something in treble cleff just add 3 flats and make believe its in bass cleff. Lastly, know your scales to include all three minors, they have asked them before. Leave no stone unturned.

When it comes to prepared pieces, forget about working on jusr the required stuff, be prepared to play anything on the piece as they will ask you anything. The winner doesn't win because of the tape, the winner wins because of how they handle the next rounds.

Good luck to all.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
pbroome
lurker
lurker

Post by pbroome »

For those of you who did not receive an invite to the final round in June and for those of you who are just interested in general, I've posted a blog post on my website with generalized comments from the panel as well as my thoughts on the audio quality of recordings with some tips to improve. Feel free to have a look around at any of the educational resources I have up for playing and also for audio engineering if that interests you. In the next couple of weeks, I'll be releasing an online low brass recording guide with lots of great, informative stuff that hopefully clears up the age old question, how do you record the euphonium (or tuba for that matter). Stay tuned!

As for now, check out the blog: http://www.philipbroome.com/blog

-Philip
Last edited by pbroome on Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Philip Broome
Euphonium | Audio Engineer
West Point Band, United States Military Academy
West Point, NY
http://www.westpointband.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
MackBrass
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Post by MackBrass »

pbroome wrote:For those of you who did not receive an invite to the final round in June and for those of you who are just interested in general, I've posted a blog post on my website with generalized comments from the panel as well as my thoughts on the audio quality of recordings with some tips to improve. Feel free to have a look around at any of the educational resources I have up for playing and also for audio engineering if that interests you. In the next couple of weeks, I'll be releasing an online low brass recording guide with lots of great, informative stuff that hopefully clears up the age old question, how do you record the euphonium (or tuba for that matter). Stay tuned!

As for now, check out the blog: https://philipbroome.com/blog

-Philip
I agree with the comments on Phillips blog 100 percent and would like to add that anyone serious about taking auditions should make recording themselves as part of a rugular routine. This will provide you with immediate feedback on progress as well as help you learn how to record, you should sound like a track on a CD. Back in the day when we didn't have the handheld recorders available today, most of us had to find a recording studio. With todays technology you can do it yourself.

Also, i might like to add something regarding marches as Phillip notes in his blog. Most tuba players focus on the hard parts but forget about the Oompa. Although these sections are easily overlooked as they appear too easy to practice, you still need to make them musical by themselves as if there was a melody being played on top. Most of these sections are basic 4 bar melodies that make up a larger 8 bar phrase and should be played musically with direction. Sounds easy but its not.
Tom McGrady
MACK Brass of Virginia LLC
Email: Sales@mackbrass.com" target="_blank
http://www.mackbrass.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
804-926-7707
jakelives
lurker
lurker

Post by jakelives »

Have any of you guys received mailings saying your tape was not selected? Ive not seen anything yet from them. Strange. Good luck to those moving on.
hockeyched
bugler
bugler

Post by hockeyched »

Those who advanced were notified. If you haven't heard then you most likely didn't advance. Sorry, I didn't hear either so I feel you.
-Josh Davis
Ball State University DA in progress.
joh_tuba
4 valves
4 valves

Post by joh_tuba »

pbroome wrote:For those of you who did not receive an invite to the final round in June and for those of you who are just interested in general, I've posted a blog post on my website with generalized comments from the panel as well as my thoughts on the audio quality of recordings with some tips to improve. Feel free to have a look around at any of the educational resources I have up for playing and also for audio engineering if that interests you. In the next couple of weeks, I'll be releasing an online low brass recording guide with lots of great, informative stuff that hopefully clears up the age old question, how do you record the euphonium (or tuba for that matter). Stay tuned!

-Philip
My browser insists that your url is unsafe.
pbroome
lurker
lurker

Post by pbroome »

joh_tuba wrote:

-Philip
My browser insists that your url is unsafe.
I apologize. I edited the post as the url should read: http://www.philipbroome.com/blog" target="_blank

I assure you my site is safe. :)
Philip Broome
Euphonium | Audio Engineer
West Point Band, United States Military Academy
West Point, NY
http://www.westpointband.com" target="_blank" target="_blank
ZMan
bugler
bugler

Post by ZMan »

Anyone win?
Dan Castillo
bugler
bugler

Post by Dan Castillo »

The winner was Keith Kile.

Rachel Matz and James Land were the other finalists.