Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Cleveland and the Impact of TubeNet

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Cleveland and the Impact of TubeNet

Post by Steve Marcus »

The percentage of tubists in major orchestras who are TubeNet members is remarkably high.

It is very likely that the winners of this year's auditions in Philadelphia, Milwaukee, and Cleveland will be at least TubeNet readers/lurkers, if not active contributors.

Even with all the silliness, there is much of interest to the dedicated tubist on this forum. Thanks, Sean, for maintaining this BBS.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
Steve Marcus
pro musician
pro musician

Post by Steve Marcus »

Tubadad wrote:For now, can anyone tell me if the Cleveland job is officially open?
Yes, it is, effective September 2005. The listing appears in the March issue of International Musician, whose front cover is posted above by the elephant. I don't have my copy with me, so perhaps someone else (the elephant?) could provide the details.
Steve Marcus
http://www.facebook.com/steve.marcus.88
Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia
pierre
bugler
bugler

Post by pierre »

Most, if not all, auditions eventually end up on www.musicalchairs.info. A good site for other reasons too.
WoodSheddin
5 valves
5 valves

Post by WoodSheddin »

Tubadad wrote:Thanks for the info - the subscription is $39, does not require membership, and I have just now subscribed.

For now, can anyone tell me if the Cleveland job is officially open?

Thanks again,
Cleveland Orchestra

TUBA - Tuba
Résumé Date - April 18, 2005
Audition Date - Cleveland on July 6, 2005
Starting Date - September 2005
General Information - The Audition Committee reserves the right to dismiss immediately any candidate not meeting the highest professional standards of the Cleveland Orchestra. The winning candidate will be required to show proof of US citizenship or eligibility to work. Only a limited number of highly qualified applicants will be invited to audition. If this position is won by a member of the Orchestra, the resulting vacancy may be offered to the runner-up. Please indicate your instrument on sent materials. Repertoire will not be given over the phone. The Cleveland Orchestra is an EOE.
Contact Information - Please send a one-page resume by mail, fax or e-mail to: Ralph Curry, Personnel Manager; The Cleveland Orchestra; Severance Hall; 11001 Euclid Avenue; Cleveland, OH 44106.
Fax - 216-791-4150
Email - rcurry@clevelandorchestra.com
Website - www.clevelandorchestra.com

Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra

TUBA - Tuba
Résumé Date - April 11, 2005
Audition Date - June 13 & 14, 2005
Starting Date - September 2005
Salary/Benefits - $59,125
General Information - The Audition Committee of the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra reserves the right to dismiss immediately any candidate not meeting the highest professional standards at this audition. Only highly qualified candidates should email or mail a one-page resume. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Contact Information - Rip Pretat- Auditions Coordinator, Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra, 700 North Water Street, Suite 700, Milwaukee, WI 53202-4278.
Email - msoauditions@wi.rr.com
Website - www.milwaukeesymphony.org
sean chisham
Bob Sadler
bugler
bugler

Post by Bob Sadler »

Read an interesting article about "the Cleveland" in a recent issue of the New Yorker. Included a lot of discussion about the Cleveland sound and attitude (and pay, and city environment, and maestro) that may be of interest to auditionees. The article also mentioned that Cleveland does not use a screen for auditions - possibly making lacquer vs. silver a choice with some significance?

not quitting my day job,

Bob Sadler
Edmonton, Alberta
Getzeng50s
pro musician
pro musician

confused

Post by Getzeng50s »

Bob Sadler wrote: possibly making lacquer vs. silver a choice with some significance?
:shock: :?:
Santo Domingo Festival Orchestra
Orchestra of Indian Hill
Cape Ann Symphony
happyroman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by happyroman »

Now I am starting to feel old. When I started studying the tuba, and had aspirations as an orchestral tubist, the major orchestra tubists were as follows, in no particular order; Arnold Jacobs, Ron Bishop, Abe Torchinsky, Chester Schmitz, Joe Novotni, Roger Bobo, and Floyd Cooley. With Mr. Bishop retiring, the positions will now have all turned over, some more than once. I am feeling very nostalgic right now.

Good luck to those who will be pursuing these openings, and the later trickle down positions.
Andy
Charlie Goodman
3 valves
3 valves

Post by Charlie Goodman »

Heck, think of my teacher-- he taught Floyd Cooley in high school.