King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
bisontuba
6 valves
6 valves

Re: Washington Redskins Band Auditions April 11

Post by bisontuba »

Auditions for volunteer ( 'free') positions from a multi billion dollar team owner who insists his team's name is not racist....give me a break.... :evil:
Mark
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

To my knowledge, there are two NFL teams with marching bands -- Baltimore and Washington. Although it's unpaid, the people I've known in the Baltimore band derive their value in the form of getting free field-side seats to at least 8 NFL games per year. I've never been even slightly interested, but if you're really into football and marching band, it's not a bad deal. It's a big "if," but for the right person...

PS -- Of all things wrong with Washington (as a city, not as the US capital), the name of the football team is NOT their biggest concern.
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bisontuba wrote:Auditions for volunteer ( 'free') positions from a multi billion dollar team owner who insists his team's name is not racist....give me a break.... :evil:
Mark
I'm more surprised he doesn't make the band pay for parking, tickets, or both. :roll:

The phony outrage over the name however, is hilarious!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
tubanonymous
bugler
bugler

Post by tubanonymous »

The outrage probably isn't that phony for people who feel the term "redskin" applies to them
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

tubanonymous wrote:The outrage probably isn't that phony for people who feel the term "redskin" applies to them
The nation’s population of American Indians and Alaska Natives, including those of more than one race. They made up about 2 percent of the total population in 2013. Of this total, about 49 percent were American Indian and Alaska Native only, and about 51 percent were American Indian and Alaska Native in combination with one or more other races.

Read more: American Indians: Census Facts http://www.infoplease.com/spot/aihmcens ... z3YhUG2Nim" target="_blank
Just as I suspected.

98% phony outrage confirmed!!
I am committed to the advancement of civil rights, minus the Marxist intimidation and thuggery of BLM.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Let's flip the question -- what would be another name for the team that could acknowledge Native Americans in a non-offensive (and not-too-specific) way?

I think it's a great idea to reference Native Americans with the team name, especially since it's a historically significant minority population that is, frankly, largely ignored (especially out east).
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Post by Three Valves »

bort wrote:Let's flip the question -- what would be another name for the team that could acknowledge Native Americans in a non-offensive (and not-too-specific) way?

I think it's a great idea to reference Native Americans with the team name, especially since it's a historically significant minority population that is, frankly, largely ignored (especially out east).
1) I suspect it would require the acceptance by and payment to (with public money preferred) the tribe or nation so honored.

http://www.fsu.edu/news/2005/06/17/seminole.support/" target="_blank

2) It wasn't "ignored" such an honor was given in 1932!! Go REDSKINS!!